Latham & Wakins Open Day 2023-4

RBUCL

Premium Member
Jul 21, 2021
Hi all,

I've just finished my Latham & Watkins October open day application (submitted form and SJT).

Just wondering how others in a similar position feel it went? This was definitely the most challenging open day application I've ever submitted, so I'm not feeling overly optimistic.

TakeAChanceOnMe

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 4, 2023
Hi all,

I've just finished my Latham & Watkins October open day application (submitted form and SJT).

Just wondering how others in a similar position feel it went? This was definitely the most challenging open day application I've ever submitted, so I'm not feeling overly optimistic.
I had never done a VI before and was not ready for that AT ALL - totally flubbed it. My answer did not at all represent my speaking abilities. But am hopeful regardless, as I think on the rest I did well.
I agree, I had never expected quite so much work for an Open Day application. I am happy to have done it, as it forced me to undertake more research on the firm. And all experience is good experience.

allwillbewell

Star Member
Premium Member
Jul 3, 2022
I had never done a VI before and was not ready for that AT ALL - totally flubbed it. My answer did not at all represent my speaking abilities. But am hopeful regardless, as I think on the rest I did well.
I agree, I had never expected quite so much work for an Open Day application. I am happy to have done it, as it forced me to undertake more research on the firm. And all experience is good experience.
Same! I am just trying to remain hopeful through this whole process haha

Reactions: TakeAChanceOnMe

RBUCL

Premium Member
Jul 21, 2021
I agree, I had never expected quite so much work for an Open Day application. I am happy to have done it, as it forced me to undertake more research on the firm. And all experience is good experience
Likewise, I'm glad we're all in the same boat. I was expecting more time to prepare for the question, but like you said, it's all a learning curve. Good luck to both of you guys :)

RBUCL

Premium Member
Jul 21, 2021
I applied on the 11th Sept, completed assessments last week and heard back this afternoon. A tad gutted but hoping it doesn’t necessarily mean curtains for the VS. Will have another go and hopefully come back stronger!
I'm really sorry to hear that! Hopefully, having gone through the motions once, you'll be way more prepared than most for the Vacation Scheme process

Reactions: Tattyasha

RBUCL

Premium Member
Jul 21, 2021
I just got my Feedback Report through- it seems a lot more positive than the A&O report

i.e. plenty of strengths and only one area to work on, unlike A&O where every area needed improvement 😂

I'm hoping this means my application form will be reviewed

I like that firms are offering tailored feedback based on the SJT this year. It's definitely useful to know exactly how you performed, relative to what they're looking for

Cath

Standard Member
Sep 10, 2023
I've just submitted the application form and received the online test invitation, and would like to know what that is. Is it just SJT or have a video interview as well? Thanks.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.