Winter, Spring and Summer Vacation Scheme Deadlines 2023-24 (with rolling/non rolling checklist!)

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
If I applied for the 2025 Direct TC at Hogan Lovells (technically last cycle) in May, am I able to apply for the Winter Vacation scheme this cycle? Their website is really unclear on this
Would be interested to know this too. I am also still waiting to hear back (highly likely a PFO) from HL for the direct TC app - have you been given a response?

LawGirl2023

Aug 6, 2023
If I applied for the 2025 Direct TC at Hogan Lovells (technically last cycle) in May, am I able to apply for the Winter Vacation scheme this cycle? Their website is really unclear on this
Hi all, graduate recruitment responded and yes, you are eligible to apply for the winter vac scheme this cycle if you applied to the 2025 direct TC and were unsuccessful ☺️

• ℹ️
Reactions: BubbleTeaFan and I’m_Batman

Niyati Nagda

Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 29, 2023
Hi, is anyone in my position or can you direct me to the best option? I was a covid student so my A-level grades were cancelled so when I got BCC I was just happy with not sitting the exam not realising the impact it could make in the future. Then I went to uni to do LLB Law and really struggled with family issues in 2nd year and landed with a 57% 2:2. I got a first-class in my dissertation and I would really love to aspire to a career as a corporate solicitor. Any tips or advice on what I can do to stand out in applications as they are opening, which firms I should consider applying and anyone in a similar position?
Hi @Aspiringlawyer792

Navigating the legal field with certain challenges can be intimidating.

I have been there, particularly when faced with sudden application processes! It's worth noting that many firms put a significant emphasis on grades.

Your best approach is to seek out firms which have a more all-rounded recruitment criteria.

If you are uncertain about a firm's requirements, attending their events or reaching out to their recruitment team might shed some light.

Ensure you do thorough research on the legal sector and specific firms.

You might find it useful to check the threads where graduate recruiters from firms like Willkie Farr and Shearman & Sterling offer insights. The general discussion thread would be highly beneficial too!

Make a note of your takeaways and seek insight on your applications before submitting them.

Continue to gather knowledge about the firms of your choice and the broader industry in which they operate.

For instance, I am using this time to enhance my commercial awareness and understand aspects of the legal industry that deepen my commitment to certain practice areas!

Hope this helps : D

All the best!

Reactions: Jaysen

Niyati Nagda

Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 29, 2023
Thank you for providing this list it is very helpful.

I have however a general query about the differences and benefits of Winter vs. Summer vacation schemes when it comes to securing a training contract offer. I've done some research but could use some insights from those in the know.

Specifically, I'm curious if there's an advantage to participating in summer schemes over the winter ones in terms of enhancing the likelihood of obtaining a training contract offer. I've noticed that summer schemes tend to be longer in duration and are more commonly offered across firms, which leads me to wonder if they might hold a higher priority.

I've also come across information suggesting that winter schemes are often more tailored to third-year/ older students. As a second-year student, I'm wondering if this could potentially reduce my chances of receiving an offer through a winter scheme and whether it might be wiser to aim for the summer schemes instead, especially considering the limitation of being able to apply for only one scheme.

Given these factors, as a second-year student, when applying to a firm that offers both winter and summer schemes, which one would you recommend I apply for? I apologize for bombarding you with questions, but I'm finding it a bit challenging to gather relevant information online.

Any wisdom and insights on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @billybroughton

Thank you for your question!
Summer vacation schemes tend to be relatively longer and thus provide a comprehensive experience. While there isn't direct evidence to suggest that participating in one scheme significantly improves chances of securing a Training Contract over another, you can have more conclusive opinions by closely examining the specific criteria set by individual firms.

Summer schemes often see a larger number of applicants, partly due to visa constraints that international candidates face for winter placements. This broader demographic might intensify the competition for summer placements.

Eligibility for these schemes varies based on the firm. The best source of this information is typically the firm's own website, where they detail the relevant applicants and requisite qualifications. Strategically, you might consider spreading out your applications based on the scheme's duration, your own availability, and where you feel you have the best chances.

If you meet the criteria for winter schemes, it could be beneficial to consider them as an initial focus, although this should align with your own availability and the quality of your application.

All the best : )

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Niyati Nagda

Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 29, 2023
Hi, is the Winter Vacation Scheme application or another vacation scheme for first-year law students?
Hi @Ofiani

A number of firms offer first year schemes specifically tailored for first-year law students. Insight days and open days are also valuable opportunities to get a feel for different firms and their cultures.

From the second year onwards, many students can apply for vacation schemes. However, eligibility can depend on various factors like the duration of your degree, the qualification you're pursuing, and specific firm requirements.

A good approach is to connect with peers and those with previously successful applications.

Conversations with individuals at your desired firms or even seniors from your institution who've experienced the process can be incredibly insightful.

You can employ resources and such as the TCLA forum and LinkedIn to collaborate with other people in this journey!

Good luck : )

sm99

Distinguished Member
Feb 5, 2020
Did anyone attend the gowlings application webinar? I missed it due to being in Canada and the time difference :( if anyone did watch and doesn’t mind giving me a rundown, please PM me!! I would be v thankful :)))

aa1

Standard Member
Mar 8, 2021
Hey guys - hope application season is going well. Was wondering if anyone else has applied to Mayer Brown Spring Vac. Confused as the application doesn't have any questions e.g why Mayer Brown / Why commercial law etc. Anybody else come across this?

antheaf

Premium Member
Sep 26, 2023
Hi everyone,

Thanks for this post @Niyati Nagda super super helpful.

Does anyone have suggestions if it still makes sense to apply to Hogan Lovells Winter Vac scheme given that they recruit rolling basis and its now been 3 weeks since the window opened/ if I am better off applying direct TC/ summer vac scheme? Thanks so much for any tipps :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

Noodles

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Feb 16, 2023
    When you are able to see the dates later can you know let us know if possible? Thank u in advance!!
    Hi, as I have let them know I won't be attending I don't think I can make an account with them now! Their GR replied very quickly though, so I'm sure they would be happy to help

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.