Winter, Spring and Summer Vacation Scheme Deadlines 2023-24 (with rolling/non rolling checklist!)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Urgent - does anyone know what time the NRF Winter Vax Scheme application closes? I can't seem to find any information about the exact time anywhere!!
Tomorrow (from their own website). I’d assume 23.59 BST, but I would always advise never leaving it that late anyway just in case you run into any issues and need to call them for help.

IMG_5395.png

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker @Jaysen Any advice for an Insight Day acceptance? How can I make myself stand out? It is a full day and they give a business case study. Pretty nervous.
@axelbeugre
Hey @leaaa2023, I would say that you should treat it as a normal application to a law firm for a VS or a TC.
Applying for an insight day at a law firm is a fantastic way to learn more about the legal industry and experience the culture of the firm. The following advice will assist you in submitting a winning application:
  1. Research the Law Firm:
    • Start by researching the law firm thoroughly. Understand its practice areas, clients, and any recent news or achievements. Tailor your application to show that you've done your homework.
  2. Tailor Your Application:
    • Customise your application to the specific law firm. Highlight why you are interested in that firm in particular, citing their values, clients, or practice areas that align with your interests.
  3. Showcase Your Skills and Experience:
    • Highlight relevant skills and experiences that demonstrate your suitability for a career in law. This could include academic achievements, relevant coursework, internships, or extracurricular activities.
  4. Personal Statement:
    • In case you have a personal statement to write (but this tip can be applied to long answers too), write a compelling experiences, both personal and professional, that explains why you want to pursue a career in law, what you hope to gain from the insight day, and how it aligns with your long-term career goals.
  5. Attention to Detail:
    • Pay close attention to the application requirements. Ensure you provide all necessary documents and information, and follow any formatting or word count guidelines.
  6. Strong Resume:
    • Create a well-structured and concise resume that highlights your relevant achievements, skills, and experiences. Use action verbs to describe your responsibilities and accomplishments. 1-2 pages is the perfect length for the legal sector!
  7. Networking:
    • If you have any contacts within the firm, reach out to them for advice and insights. They may be able to provide valuable information and potentially even refer you for the insight day.
  8. Proofread:
    • Ensure that your application materials are error-free. Proofread your personal statement, resume, and cover letter to eliminate any grammatical or spelling mistakes. As anyone around you to have a look at it too if that helps!
  9. Prepare for Interviews:
    • Be prepared for interviews or discussions that may follow your application. Practice common interview questions and be ready to talk about your interests, experiences, and why you want to join the firm.
  10. Be Professional:
    • Demonstrate professionalism and enthusiasm throughout the application process. Treat each interaction with the law firm, whether in writing or in person, as if it were a job interview. This is a key thing to remember as if you are used to do this for insight days, it will come in handy when you apply to vacation schemes.
Remember that the competition for insight days at law firms can be quite fierce. Therefore, putting in the effort to create a strong and tailored application is essential. Best of luck!

Reactions: leaaa2023

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker @Jaysen Any advice for an Insight Day acceptance? How can I make myself stand out? It is a full day and they give a business case study. Pretty nervous.
@axelbeugre
Are you looking for advice on how to apply or have you accepted a place on an open day and want guidance on how best to approach the day?

Reactions: leaaa2023

leaaa2023

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 27, 2023
Hey @leaaa2023, I would say that you should treat it as a normal application to a law firm for a VS or a TC.
Applying for an insight day at a law firm is a fantastic way to learn more about the legal industry and experience the culture of the firm. The following advice will assist you in submitting a winning application:
  1. Research the Law Firm:
    • Start by researching the law firm thoroughly. Understand its practice areas, clients, and any recent news or achievements. Tailor your application to show that you've done your homework.
  2. Tailor Your Application:
    • Customise your application to the specific law firm. Highlight why you are interested in that firm in particular, citing their values, clients, or practice areas that align with your interests.
  3. Showcase Your Skills and Experience:
    • Highlight relevant skills and experiences that demonstrate your suitability for a career in law. This could include academic achievements, relevant coursework, internships, or extracurricular activities.
  4. Personal Statement:
    • In case you have a personal statement to write (but this tip can be applied to long answers too), write a compelling experiences, both personal and professional, that explains why you want to pursue a career in law, what you hope to gain from the insight day, and how it aligns with your long-term career goals.
  5. Attention to Detail:
    • Pay close attention to the application requirements. Ensure you provide all necessary documents and information, and follow any formatting or word count guidelines.
  6. Strong Resume:
    • Create a well-structured and concise resume that highlights your relevant achievements, skills, and experiences. Use action verbs to describe your responsibilities and accomplishments. 1-2 pages is the perfect length for the legal sector!
  7. Networking:
    • If you have any contacts within the firm, reach out to them for advice and insights. They may be able to provide valuable information and potentially even refer you for the insight day.
  8. Proofread:
    • Ensure that your application materials are error-free. Proofread your personal statement, resume, and cover letter to eliminate any grammatical or spelling mistakes. As anyone around you to have a look at it too if that helps!
  9. Prepare for Interviews:
    • Be prepared for interviews or discussions that may follow your application. Practice common interview questions and be ready to talk about your interests, experiences, and why you want to join the firm.
  10. Be Professional:
    • Demonstrate professionalism and enthusiasm throughout the application process. Treat each interaction with the law firm, whether in writing or in person, as if it were a job interview. This is a key thing to remember as if you are used to do this for insight days, it will come in handy when you apply to vacation schemes.
Remember that the competition for insight days at law firms can be quite fierce. Therefore, putting in the effort to create a strong and tailored application is essential. Best of luck!
thank you very much for this detailed insight! I will take all of this into consideration! I was accepted for an insight day so will prepare for interviews during the insight day

Reactions: axelbeugre

leaaa2023

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 27, 2023
Are you looking for advice on how to apply or have you accepted a place on an open day and want guidance on how best to approach the day?
Hi Jessica, I have been accepted to an open day and am wondering how I can stand out. During the open day they are giving a business case study. And I've heard that is a way to fast track you to a TC or VC, so I want to make sure I stand out and wondering how I can do that. I know I can research the firm well, but maybe what I should do and shouldn't do. It will be from 11am to 6:30, so I will be with the firm all day.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi Jessica, I have been accepted to an open day and am wondering how I can stand out. During the open day they are giving a business case study. And I've heard that is a way to fast track you to a TC or VC, so I want to make sure I stand out and wondering how I can do that. I know I can research the firm well, but maybe what I should do and shouldn't do. It will be from 11am to 6:30, so I will be with the firm all day.
Congratulations @leaaa2023 for obtaining an open day, this is massive and you should be so proud of yourself!!
  • Prepare for the Case Study:
    • Study the case materials provided and familiarise yourself with the details. Make sure you understand the legal issues and any relevant laws or regulations.
  • Analyse the Problem:
    • Approach the case study methodically. Start by identifying the key issues, relevant facts, and stakeholders involved. Create a structured framework for your analysis.
  • Collaborate Effectively:
    • If the case study involves group work, be a team player. Listen actively to others, contribute your insights, and collaborate effectively. Show that you can work well in a team.
  • Communicate Clearly:
    • When presenting your findings or discussing the case study, communicate clearly and concisely. Organize your thoughts and speak confidently. Avoid jargon and use plain language.
  • Showcase Problem-Solving Skills:
    • Focus on your problem-solving skills. Highlight your ability to identify practical solutions, think critically, and adapt to changing circumstances.
  • Be Enthusiastic:
    • Display genuine enthusiasm for the legal field and the firm. Express your passion for the law and your desire to contribute to the firm's success.
  • Ask Thoughtful Questions:
    • During discussions or Q&A sessions, ask thoughtful and insightful questions. This shows your engagement and critical thinking abilities.
  • Show Your Research:
    • Incorporate your knowledge of the firm and its practice areas into your analysis. Explain how your background and interests align with the firm's work.
  • Highlight Relevant Experience:
    • If you have relevant experience, such as internships or coursework, make sure to mention it. Explain how this experience has prepared you for a career in law.
  • Be Professional and Polite:
    • Treat everyone you meet with respect and professionalism, from fellow candidates to firm representatives. Politeness and a positive attitude go a long way.
I think it is important to remember that you are already in such a good position having received the offer so be confident during the whole day! good luck with everything!

leaaa2023

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 27, 2023
Congratulations @leaaa2023 for obtaining an open day, this is massive and you should be so proud of yourself!!
  • Prepare for the Case Study:
    • Study the case materials provided and familiarise yourself with the details. Make sure you understand the legal issues and any relevant laws or regulations.
  • Analyse the Problem:
    • Approach the case study methodically. Start by identifying the key issues, relevant facts, and stakeholders involved. Create a structured framework for your analysis.
  • Collaborate Effectively:
    • If the case study involves group work, be a team player. Listen actively to others, contribute your insights, and collaborate effectively. Show that you can work well in a team.
  • Communicate Clearly:
    • When presenting your findings or discussing the case study, communicate clearly and concisely. Organize your thoughts and speak confidently. Avoid jargon and use plain language.
  • Showcase Problem-Solving Skills:
    • Focus on your problem-solving skills. Highlight your ability to identify practical solutions, think critically, and adapt to changing circumstances.
  • Be Enthusiastic:
    • Display genuine enthusiasm for the legal field and the firm. Express your passion for the law and your desire to contribute to the firm's success.
  • Ask Thoughtful Questions:
    • During discussions or Q&A sessions, ask thoughtful and insightful questions. This shows your engagement and critical thinking abilities.
  • Show Your Research:
    • Incorporate your knowledge of the firm and its practice areas into your analysis. Explain how your background and interests align with the firm's work.
  • Highlight Relevant Experience:
    • If you have relevant experience, such as internships or coursework, make sure to mention it. Explain how this experience has prepared you for a career in law.
  • Be Professional and Polite:
    • Treat everyone you meet with respect and professionalism, from fellow candidates to firm representatives. Politeness and a positive attitude go a long way.
I think it is important to remember that you are already in such a good position having received the offer so be confident during the whole day! good luck with everything!
This is so insightful, I thank you very much for your detailed and helpful responses!!

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    Hi guys! I need some input.. I am planning to do my A&O vac scheme test on the deadline day around 11am (deadline is 5pm).. Is this ok?? A&O recruit on a non rolling basis as well.

I want to prep more for the VI and take it when I feel more confident. I am also worried applying on the deadline day will put me in a disadvantaged position. Please advise 🙏🏻 @Jessica Booker

Dia. Yaseen

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 7, 2023
    Hi everyone! Regarding Baker Mckenzie vac schemes, does anyone know when the applications open? On their website it simply says "applications opening soon", and I can't find anywhere to apply for the summer vacation scheme.

Reactions: s9111

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Are there any US firms I can apply to as a penultimate year non-law student? Most seem to be final year non-law only! Thanks
    I think Goodwin accepts penultimate year non law student, Cleary too but I am not really sure. I am sure there is a list on the internet somewhere so it might be worth looking there!

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    [FOR TRAINING CONTRACT DEADLINES, CLICK HERE]

Hey everyone,

Vacation Scheme application season is here! To make things easier for those of us preparing to apply, I have put together a list to track all the applications and their due dates for the Winter, Spring and Summer Vacation Schemes. I will keep this list updated! Please feel free to drop any suggestions to better utilise this thread.

Thank you and all the best!

Here are the firms that have announced their application opening and closing dates for Winter, Spring and Summer Vacation Schemes 2023/24 so far:

(This list is dynamic and will be updated as firms release their application windows)

Winter Vacation Scheme Deadlines 2023/24:

August 2023​

Opening DateClosing DateFirm NameRolling/Non-Rolling
    1st August 202322nd September 2023Allen & OveryNon-Rolling
    28th August 202329th September 2023 (noon)AshurstNon-Rolling

September 2023​

1st September 202313th October 2023Slaughter and MayRolling
    1st September 202320th October 2023Jones DayRolling
    1st September 20231st October 2023HSFNon-Rolling
    1st September 202327th October 2023DechertRolling
    4th September 202322nd October 2023Travers SmithNon-Rolling
    4th September 20235th October 2023LinklatersNon-Rolling
    7th September 202320th October 2023Covington & BurlingNon-Rolling
    11th September 202315th October 2023White & CaseRolling
    12th September 202313th October 2023Norton Rose FulbrightNon-Rolling
    17th September 202315th October 2023 (noon)Sidley AustinRolling
    18th September 202331st October 2023Hogan LovellsRolling
    25th September 202325th October 2023Simmons & SimmonsRolling

October 2023​

2nd October 202323rd October 2023Stephenson HarwoodRolling but won't fill up places until after deadline
    2nd October 202331st October 2023Burges SalmonNon-Rolling

Spring Vacation Scheme Deadlines 2023/24:

September 2023​

Opening Date Closing DateFirm NameRolling/Non-Rolling
    1st September 20231st December 2023Herbert Smith FreehillsNon-Rolling
    1st September 202310th December 2023SkaddenRolling
    1st September 202320th December 2023Willkie, Farr & GallagherRolling but won't fill up places until after deadline
    1st September 202331st December 2023Jones DayRolling
    1st September 202331st December 2023DechertRolling
    4th September 20233rd November 2023Mishcon De Reya
    Rolling
    7th September 202315th January 2024Shearman & SterlingNon- Rolling
    11th September 202314th January 2024White & CaseRolling
    14th September 20231st December 2023Bird & BirdRolling
    15th September 202315th December 2023Goodwin ProcterNon-Rolling
    17th September 20237th January 2024Sidley AustinRolling
    18th September 20233rd December 2023Latham & Watkins
    Rolling
    18th September 202320th December 2023Weil, Gotshal & MangesRolling
    25th September 20235th January 2024MacfarlanesNon-Rolling

October 2023​

Opening Date Closing DateFirm NameRolling/Non-Rolling
    1st October 202331st January 2024Mayer BrownRolling
    1st October 20231st December 2023Baker McKenzieRolling
    1st October 20234th January 2024Addleshaw GoddardRolling
    1st October 20237th January 2024MilbankNon-Rolling
    2nd October 202314th December 2023LinklatersNon-Rolling
    2nd October 20235th January 2024Slaughter and MayRolling
    2nd October 202312th January 2024Burges SalmonNon-Rolling
    2nd October 20238th January 2024Reed SmithRolling

Summer Vacation Scheme Deadlines 2023/24:

September 2023​

1st September 20231st December 2023Herbert Smith FreehillsNon-Rolling
    1st September 20238th December 2023Slaughter and MayRolling
    1st September 202310th December 2023
    Skadden
    Rolling
    1st September 202320th December 2023Willkie Farr & GallagherRolling but won't fill up places until after deadline
    1st September 202314th January 2024BCLPRolling
    1st September 202316th January 2024Gibson DunnRolling
    1st September 202331st January 2024
    Jones Day
    Rolling
    1st September 202321st January 2024DechertRolling
    4th September 202327th October 2023Allen & OveryNon-Rolling
    4th September 20235th January 2024Mishcon De ReyaRolling
    7th September 202312th January 2024Covington & BurlingNon-Rolling
    7th September 202315th January 2024Shearman & SterlingNon- Rolling
    11th September 202314th January 2024White & CaseRolling
    14th September 202322nd December 2023Bird & Bird
    Rolling
    15th September 202315th December 2023Goodwin ProcterNon-Rolling
    17th September 20237th January 2024Sidley AustinRolling
    18th September 20233rd December 2023Latham & WatkinsRolling
    18th September 2023
    20th December 2023
    Weil, Gotshal & MangesRolling
    25th September 20235th January 2024MacfarlanesNon-Rolling

October 2023​

1st October 20231st January 2024Baker McKenzieRolling
    1st October 20237th January 2024MilbankNon-Rolling
    1st October 202331st January 2024Mayer BrownRolling
    1st October 20234th January 2024Addleshaw GoddardRolling
    2nd October 202314th December 2023LinklatersNon-Rolling
    2nd October 20235th January 2024 (noon)AshurstNon-Rolling
    2nd October 202312th January 2024Burges SalmonNon-Rolling
    2nd October 202331st December 2023Simmons & SimmonsRolling
    2nd October 20238th January 2023Reed SmithRolling

Hello if the closing date is the 1st December 2023 then it is midnight 1st December 2023 or 11:59pm 1st December 2023?

TIA :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.