Law firms moving all candidates to SQE in next in-take despite those done LPC

TCinpipeline

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2021
Hi - as of 2025, Dentons are asking for all candidates to undertake SQE 1 and 2 despite candidates like myself already completed/passed the LPC. Does anyone know if all law firms are likely to move this way before the LPC finishes being available in 2030 (not sure if this is exactly right)? It seems strange that there are posts online giving advice on whether to currently study the LPC or SQE still, if firms like Dentons are asking LPC candidates to moreorless study the same of what they did on the LPC. Is there anywhere listing which firms are keeping the LPC route alongside SQE? I financed the LPC myself and did it for 2 years part-time whilst working full-time. I am obviously not going to do the SQE route after studying so hard already to get to this point. Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi - as of 2025, Dentons are asking for all candidates to undertake SQE 1 and 2 despite candidates like myself already completed/passed the LPC. Does anyone know if all law firms are likely to move this way before the LPC finishes being available in 2030 (not sure if this is exactly right)? It seems strange that there are posts online giving advice on whether to currently study the LPC or SQE still, if firms like Dentons are asking LPC candidates to moreorless study the same of what they did on the LPC. Is there anywhere listing which firms are keeping the LPC route alongside SQE? I financed the LPC myself and did it for 2 years part-time whilst working full-time. I am obviously not going to do the SQE route after studying so hard already to get to this point. Thank you.
Yes - a lot of firms will just move people to the SQE model. They don't want trainees qualifying via two different routes as they have to be treated very differently from one another.

If you have passed the LPC, you are automatically exempt from SQE1, so you would only need to complete SQE2.

By 2025, there will be very few law graduates able to do the LPC TC route and practically no non-lawyers (unless they did their GDL in 2021 or earlier), so the talent pool for LPC trainees becomes practically non-existant. Therefore, even if you can still qualify via the LPC route, most firms will have moved to the SQE system and will not have the infrastructure in place to provide LPC TCs (which is why they will want you to complete the SQE instead).

Reactions: TCinpipeline

TCinpipeline

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2021
Yes - a lot of firms will just move people to the SQE model. They don't want trainees qualifying via two different routes as they have to be treated very differently from one another.

If you have passed the LPC, you are automatically exempt from SQE1, so you would only need to complete SQE2.

By 2025, there will be very few law graduates able to do the LPC TC route and practically no non-lawyers (unless they did their GDL in 2021 or earlier), so the talent pool for LPC trainees becomes practically non-existant. Therefore, even if you can still qualify via the LPC route, most firms will have moved to the SQE system and will not have the infrastructure in place to provide LPC TCs (which is why they will want you to complete the SQE instead).
@Jessica Booker thank you Jessica for your reply especially to confirm that LPC candidates are exempt from SQE 1. I recall hearing this a few years ago. I emailed the HR team at Dentons back stating this and their reply has caused more confusion for me. "The SRA will allow anyone who has completed the LPC to just complete the SQE 2. In our experience, if the LPC is more than a couple of years old it has proven very difficult to complete the SQE 2 as a standalone course, but it is technically an option. The Dentons policy is that for the 2024 intake, our trainees who have the LPC will only need to complete the SQE 2. However for the 2025 intake onwards, all trainees no matter their previous experience will need to complete the SQE 1 and 2. "

This all seems unfair on LPC students having to repeat studies and time and money spent on a course they have technically done. All LPC candidates are asking is to complete SQE2 alongside their training contract. Should I call the SRA to clarify this? May be as you may state in your answer that I should concentrate on firms that still allow LPC candidates to complete the SQE2.

The SRA and SQE providers need to provide more clarity on the difficulties mentioned in LPC candidates completing SQE 2.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker thank you Jessica for your reply especially to confirm that LPC candidates are exempt from SQE 1. I recall hearing this a few years ago. I emailed the HR team at Dentons back stating this and their reply has caused more confusion for me. "The SRA will allow anyone who has completed the LPC to just complete the SQE 2. In our experience, if the LPC is more than a couple of years old it has proven very difficult to complete the SQE 2 as a standalone course, but it is technically an option. The Dentons policy is that for the 2024 intake, our trainees who have the LPC will only need to complete the SQE 2. However for the 2025 intake onwards, all trainees no matter their previous experience will need to complete the SQE 1 and 2. "

This all seems unfair on LPC students having to repeat studies and time and money spent on a course they have technically done. All LPC candidates are asking is to complete SQE2 alongside their training contract. Should I call the SRA to clarify this? May be as you may state in your answer that I should concentrate on firms that still allow LPC candidates to complete the SQE2.

The SRA and SQE providers need to provide more clarify on the difficulties mentioned in LPC candidates completing SQE 2.
You don’t have to sit the SQE1 assessments, they just want you to do a course that covers SQE1 and SQE2.

As a lot of the content you learn for SQE1 actually applies to SQE2, I can understand this logic. They don’t want you to fail the SQE2, and so providing you with a thorough course that refreshes your LPC learning has a lot of logic to it.

I think there is some evidence from the SQE more generally that those who have been exempt from SQE1 have a lower pass rate on average for SQE2 than those who sat SQE1. So it maybe that the firm just sees the value in you completing the full course to give you the best chance of success.

Unfortunately this is not a matter for the SRA - it is the firms choice/preference that they have complete control over. The SRA will not interfere with this.

Sitting SQE2 whilst working full time is exceptionally difficult (and even more so if your working hours are 50+ hour weeks). You’d need regular time off and significant periods of study leave to complete SQE2 - and so firms want to get this out the way before you start your TC.

I think your challenge will be finding firms that are offering what you want. Very few will be offering “periods of recognised training” because it is much easier and cheaper for them to run trainees through qualifying work experience instead. With many firms that push you through the SQE route even as a LPC grad, they generally will want you to have passed SQE2 before joining. There will be exceptions, but I think they will be far and few between.

If anything, LPC providers should have been clearer about the longevity of the qualification. I find it bizarre that they are still selling LPC courses starting in September 2023.

TCinpipeline

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2021
Thanks Jessica. I see that makes sense now. They don't specifically state that we would not have to do the SQE 1 exams. This all seems very harsh still to be honest although I do see the logic. I don't want to have to do more courses when I thought I had studied all my law exams so put that behind me.

I assumed that we could do the SQE alongside our training contract like LPC candidates did whilst working full-time. I'd have no choice but to work full-time whilst doing the SQE, as most like me will have bills/mortgage/rent to pay eeek!

Is there any online resources where students are blogging their experiences of doing the LPC and SQE 2? There doesn't seem to be much online in this regard and I expect most students will want to know how other students are going down this route . Also, any online info on other legal roles apart from paralegals where one can qualify down the SQE route?

Reactions: BeGrateful.101

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica. I see that makes sense now. They don't specifically state that we would not have to do the SQE 1 exams. This all seems very harsh still to be honest although I do see the logic. I don't want to have to do more courses when I thought I had studied all my law exams so put that behind me.

I assumed that we could do the SQE alongside our training contract like LPC candidates did whilst working full-time. I'd have no choice but to work full-time whilst doing the SQE, as most like me will have bills/mortgage/rent to pay eeek!

Is there any online resources where students are blogging their experiences of doing the LPC and SQE 2? There doesn't seem to be much online in this regard and I expect most students will want to know how other students are going down this route . Also, any online info on other legal roles apart from paralegals where one can qualify down the SQE route?
LPC candidates generally did their studies before they started their employment/training contract. The vast majority were not employed as trainees whilst they were studying. They would have received a maintenance grant though to help them with their living costs - for instance, Dentons would provide you with a grant whilst you studied for the SQE course that would mean you wouldn't have to work full-time.

I don't know of any bloggers, unfortunately (I am not really active in this space) but I suspect their numbers are relatively low anyway. Only 700 or so people sat SQE2 in April 2022 and I suspect a very small proportion of those were people with an LPC exemption.

I think you have to be mindful of "other" legal jobs and ensuring they still set you up for the same career as a training contract. Qualifying as a lawyer is really just a tick box process to ensure their are regulatory standards adhered to. What really sets you up for a career is the exposure to the work you do, and that is why training contracts will still be the best route for most people.

Last edited:

TCinpipeline

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2021
LPC candidates generally did their studies before they started their employment/training contract. The vast majority were not employed as trainees whilst they were studying. They would have received a maintenance grant though to help them with their living costs - for instance, Dentons would provide you with a grant whilst you studied for the SQE course that would mean you wouldn't have to work full-time.

I don't know of any bloggers, unfortunately (I am not really active in this space) but I suspect their numbers are relatively low anyway. Only 700 or so people sat SQE2 in April 2022 and I suspect a very small proportion of those were people with an LPC exemption.

I think you have to be mindful of "other" legal jobs and ensuring they still set you up for the same career as a training contract. Qualifying as a lawyer is really just a tick box process to ensure their are regulatory standards adhered to. What really sets you up for a career is the exposure to the work you do, and that is why training contracts will still be the best route for most people.
Thanks Jessica. How much would the maintenance grant be? Assuming that would not be a lot to cover mortgage, bills, etc? A lot of candidates like myself self-funded the LPC whilst the SQE was being finalised/rolled out with no maintenance grants. Any particular advice you would give to candidates in this situation in how we should carve our route in doing the LPC/SQE2 to qualify? Assuming we should be open with firms that we are happy to undertake the full SQE course but be open in telling firms we will not be doing the SQE 1 exams.

There are still lots of LPC candidates who will not have got training contracts yet due to the competition. I understand being mindful in following other routes but it seems that qualification has become full of red tape for the LPC route and it seems sensible to explore other options. If only there are grants to live on a paralegal salary to qualify that way for those with financial responsibilities!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica. A lot of candidates like myself self-funded the LPC whilst the SQE was being finalised/rolled out with no maintenance grants. Any particular advice you would give to candidates in this situation in how we should carve our route in doing the LPC/SQE2 to qualify? Assuming we should be open with firms that we are happy to undertake the full SQE course but be open in telling firms we will not be doing the SQE 1 exams.

There are still lots of LPC candidates who will not have got training contracts yet due to the competition. I understand being mindful in following other routes but it seems that qualification has become full of red tape for the LPC route and it seems sensible to explore other options. If only there are grants to live on a paralegal salary and qualify that way. lol
You don't need to tell firms you won't be doing the SQE1 exams - they know and have no influence on this. You get an automatic exemption, so there is no other outcome than you not sitting SQE1.

Unless you can find firms that can offer you the existing qualification process through a period of recognised training, then carving out your career is ultimately taking the SQE2 at some point and accumulating two years of qualifying work experience. Not all firms will want you to go through a full SQE course - some will be happy to just put you through an SQE2 course (these can be as short as a few days long) and to support you with the costs for the SQE assessment fees. I think it is probably worthwhile speaking to the firms you are interested in to see what their approach is and seeing whether that meets your expectations in terms of timings and finance.

Reactions: TCinpipeline

TCinpipeline

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2021
You don't need to tell firms you won't be doing the SQE1 exams - they know and have no influence on this. You get an automatic exemption, so there is no other outcome than you not sitting SQE1.

Unless you can find firms that can offer you the existing qualification process through a period of recognised training, then carving out your career is ultimately taking the SQE2 at some point and accumulating two years of qualifying work experience. Not all firms will want you to go through a full SQE course - some will be happy to just put you through an SQE2 course (these can be as short as a few days long) and to support you with the costs for the SQE assessment fees. I think it is probably worthwhile speaking to the firms you are interested in to see what their approach is and seeing whether that meets your expectations in terms of timings and finance.
That's great, thank you very much Jessica.

JDC

• Sep 12, 2023
    I'm considering dropping the LPC for this very reason. Aside from a few firms that don't take it just seems so unfair that some of us have done law degrees and the lpc, where others have done nonlaw degrees and the SQE. If I drop out I wont owe anything, should I drop out and wait to get a T.C/ a firm to pay for the SQE?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.