Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Graduate recruitment people are twats, not exactly hard to click a button and update the status of an application if you know full well its going to be a no

You’re right - it isn’t hard to click a button.

What is hard is to gauge how hundreds (or thousands) of people may react, change their mind, not turn up, go AWOL. It’s in no one interests to reject candidates IF there is a chance you might actually need them at a later stage.

If a graduate recruiter’s job was as simple as just clicking a few buttons, I’d have far fewer grey hairs and would have had a much less stressful career.

PS - sometimes it’s a very small minority of candidates who are acting in the “twat” like manner you suggest. Don’t be that person ;)

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
The lack of transparency is what annoys me. You may very well be correct in what you're saying, but realistically you've made been forced to make a load of assumptions to explain what's going on to yourself instead of them communicating anything to you.

There is a level of entitlement to this that I don’t agree with. The graduate recruitment are not evil or trying to trip you up. Nor did they promise to communicate anything with you that they haven’t. They are simply trying to find the right fit (applicant and firm).
You’re right - it isn’t hard to click a button.

What is hard is to gauge how hundreds (or thousands) of people may react, change their mind, not turn up, go AWOL. It’s in no one interests to reject candidates IF there is a chance you might actually need them at a later stage.

If a graduate recruiter’s job was as simple as just clicking a few buttons, I’d have far fewer grey hairs and would have had a much less stressful career.

PS - sometimes it’s a very small minority of candidates who are acting in the “twat” like manner you suggest. Don’t be that person ;)

I completely agree with your point but at the same time if they had sent a very generic email saying:

"Hey,

It's taking us a little longer than expected to go through all the applications. We are still reviewing all applicants and will get back to you by x date."

That would be very nice.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
There is a level of entitlement to this that I don’t agree with. The graduate recruitment are not evil or trying to trip you up. Nor did they promise to communicate anything with you that they haven’t. They are simply trying to find the right fit (applicant and firm).

I completely agree with your point but at the same time if they had sent a very generic email saying:

"Hey,

It's taking us a little longer than expected to go through all the applications. We are still reviewing all applicants and will get back to you by x date."

That would be very nice.

They don’t necessarily know what the answer to “X” is though. They are slap bang in the middle of crazy season. They probably are only in the office 1-2 days a week during October/November and when they are in, they are catching up on hundreds of emails.

I hated this time of year - was exhausting constantly being on the road doing endless career fairs and evening presentations and not being home.

so glad those days are over!

• ℹ️
Reactions: FutureCity

SW

Aug 31, 2018
Has anyone applied for the direct TC? If so, has anyone heard anything since competing the tests?

I applied for direct TC in October and received an email on Monday saying thanks for completing tests your application is under review. But that’s it really. I think we have to wait till after deadline

valszeto

Nov 15, 2019
Hi guys, for those who applied to Links already using the new system - are we only allowed to submit max 3 cases of work experience?

I clicked on 'complete' thinking it meant the work exp section was complete but I've far from completed the first stage. Yet I got the email saying 'many thanks for applying to ...' - has that really been submitted just like that?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.