Linklaters 2019/20 Application

anf1811

Star Member
Premium Member
Apr 6, 2018
Hi all

I was wondering if anybody has completed the Linklaters "Capp Online Assessment" and could shed any light on what it actually entails as the info the firm provides doesn't seem to give too much away. It seems that its trying to test quite a few different attributes so I am wondering if its similar to HSF's assessment which had SJT and critical reasoning questions in the same test.

I'd really appreciate any info anybody has on this as I'm a bit apprehensive to go into it blind.

Thanks in advance for any help

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It will be a bit more intensive that an SJT. There will be elements that feel like an SJT, although most likely in a more interactive format.

You may want to look up information on Accenture’s or Deloitte’s assessment, as the format will be similar, even if the content is more focused on the skills needed for law

Reactions: Eva and wwood

jamescw1994

Sep 16, 2019
Hi all

I was wondering if anybody has completed the Linklaters "Capp Online Assessment" and could shed any light on what it actually entails as the info the firm provides doesn't seem to give too much away. It seems that its trying to test quite a few different attributes so I am wondering if its similar to HSF's assessment which had SJT and critical reasoning questions in the same test.

I'd really appreciate any info anybody has on this as I'm a bit apprehensive to go into it blind.

Thanks in advance for any help
Hi!

If you’re referring to the assessment that places you into the role of a fictional trainee then yup, I completed it last week!

Surprisingly intuitive and engaging, it’ll act as an SJT and has a critical reasoning test as the final component. More-or-less, you’ll be asked to review documentation (usually a short email accompanied by other materials like an article, nothing is overly long) and rank what you would do from most appropriate to least appropriate.

After each of these, you’ll be asked to review a series of statements and, using a slider, you’ll mark the kind of degree to which the two responses apply to you. For example if it states that “When working on something, you would rather...”, the two responses might be “work on something new and challenging” or “familiar and quick”. You’ll then place the slider closest to whichever statement you agree with most in a sort of “strongly agree, agree, slightly agree” fashion.

Once all sections are completed, the aforementioned critical reasoning test is unlocked.

After this, you’ll be emailed (within a few days) a document that details your strongest and weakest attributes from the firm’s agile mindset criteria.

I hope this helps, though if my explanation gets a little muddled please feel free to let me know and I’ll be happy to clarify anything :)

wwood

Distinguished Member
Jan 19, 2019
Hi!

If you’re referring to the assessment that places you into the role of a fictional trainee then yup, I completed it last week!

Surprisingly intuitive and engaging, it’ll act as an SJT and has a critical reasoning test as the final component. More-or-less, you’ll be asked to review documentation (usually a short email accompanied by other materials like an article, nothing is overly long) and rank what you would do from most appropriate to least appropriate.

After each of these, you’ll be asked to review a series of statements and, using a slider, you’ll mark the kind of degree to which the two responses apply to you. For example if it states that “When working on something, you would rather...”, the two responses might be “work on something new and challenging” or “familiar and quick”. You’ll then place the slider closest to whichever statement you agree with most in a sort of “strongly agree, agree, slightly agree” fashion.

Once all sections are completed, the aforementioned critical reasoning test is unlocked.

After this, you’ll be emailed (within a few days) a document that details your strongest and weakest attributes from the firm’s agile mindset criteria.

I hope this helps, though if my explanation gets a little muddled please feel free to let me know and I’ll be happy to clarify anything :)

Whoa, that's really comprehensive! Thanks for the info! I never applied to Links as my experiences didn't really fit into the Qs on their app forms - I'm excited to experience this new format! Re critical reasoning - is it like tests which test your logical thinking skills from reading materials?

Did you prepare before doing the test? Or is it not necessary?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Whoa, that's really comprehensive! Thanks for the info! I never applied to Links as my experiences didn't really fit into the Qs on their app forms - I'm excited to experience this new format! Re critical reasoning - is it like tests which test your logical thinking skills from reading materials?

The assessment will be designed in a way you can’t really prepare for it.

Just make sure you are at your best (eg don’t do it after a long day of studying), make sure you don’t get any distractions (shut your phone off), only have that running on your laptop, make sure you aren’t going to get distracted by others

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi!

Very useful - thanks for sharing!

jamescw1994

Sep 16, 2019

The assessment will be designed in a way you can’t really prepare for it.

Just make sure you are at your best (eg don’t do it after a long day of studying), make sure you don’t get any distractions (shut your phone off), only have that running on your laptop, make sure you aren’t going to get distracted by others

No problem at all! :)

As Jessica says, the main body of the Capp assessment is not really something that can be prepared for as they look at how your attributes align with their agile framework. I would absolutely, wholeheartedly second Jessica’s point about doing it at your best. I did mine in the morning when I was absolutely fresh, and on a more technical point I would recommend a place where your WiFi is strongest and separate your assessment from the rest of your browser (I.e drag the tab out to create a separate window). This way you can guarantee that your focus is entirely on this specific assessment.

The critical reasoning test at the very end is more your garden variety critical reasoning test. It takes elements of the Watson Glaser, though I for the life of me can’t seem to remember all of the elements covered (assumptions might have been one), and is based on you reading a statement or a passage. This kind of test you can practice beforehand; I would personally suggest practicing the WG as you’ll practice both of the assessments and never hurts to be prepared! :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: wwood and Jessica Booker

jamescw1994

Sep 16, 2019
    Hi,

Must one start (and finish) the Capp assessment as soon as one has completed the short online form?

Thanks,

Josh
    Hi Josh,

My memory is surprisingly bad right now, but from what I recall, you go directly into the CAPP assessment from after completing the online form. I completed it immediately after I accessed it and I believe that you are required to complete it in one sitting, although I may be mistaken - my apologies I can’t be more helpful on this!

Thank you James and Jessica for your responses,

That's all really helpful. I'm strangely looking forward to it now, it definitely sounds more interesting than a standard vac scheme application!

No problem at all! It’s not strange at all, I really enjoyed it and it makes the application process so much easier when you really enjoy it and actually saves a lot of time when compared to the Apply4Law based applications. :)

Reactions: wwood

wwood

Distinguished Member
    Jan 19, 2019

As Jessica says, the main body of the Capp assessment is not really something that can be prepared for as they look at how your attributes align with their agile framework. I would absolutely, wholeheartedly second Jessica’s point about doing it at your best. I did mine in the morning when I was absolutely fresh, and on a more technical point I would recommend a place where your WiFi is strongest and separate your assessment from the rest of your browser (I.e drag the tab out to create a separate window). This way you can guarantee that your focus is entirely on this specific assessment.

The critical reasoning test at the very end is more your garden variety critical reasoning test. It takes elements of the Watson Glaser, though I for the life of me can’t seem to remember all of the elements covered (assumptions might have been one), and is based on you reading a statement or a passage. This kind of test you can practice beforehand; I would personally suggest practicing the WG as you’ll practice both of the assessments and never hurts to be prepared! :)

Thank you so much! This is so useful! I'll practice the WG test then! :)

Thank you Jessica for your great advice as well!!

Reactions: jamescw1994

Standard Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 4, 2019
    Hi!

The critical thinking test that gets unlocked at the end - is that the Watson Glaser test itself? Or is it just a WG-style test and the actual WG is done separately?

jamescw1994

Sep 16, 2019
    The critical thinking test that gets unlocked at the end - is that the Watson Glaser test itself? Or is it just a WG-style test and the actual WG is done separately?
    Hi!

It's a WG style test so it includes some of the elements of the WG but is not the full-fat test.

The actual WG test is indeed separate as it unlocks after the critical thinking test. :)

Reactions: MariSierra

jamescw1994

Sep 16, 2019
    Thank you so much!

In truth, the critical thinking element is a good rehearsal for the main WG test.

Has anyone heard back from Linklaters since completing the WG test? Even if it’s just a rejection?

I've yet to hear anything since the 18th of September when I was emailed that my application was under review. Application portal still says 'on hold'.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Pretty much every law firm is caught up in the busiest time of the year thanks to Milkround season. Don’t be surprised if you don’t hear back within a short period of time

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Hey guys - would you say its fairly late to submit an app for Linklaters winter VS? The deadline is this Monday so I was considering applying for spring instead?

Not at all. They are not recruiting on a rolling basis. As I just mentioned above, they aren't getting back to anyone until after the deadline.

Reactions: Maddie R

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.