Linklaters Interview

PMF_II

Star Member
Mar 1, 2018
Hey guys,

I have a Linklaters AC coming up in less than two weeks. Would anyone be able to share some advice? I have never taken an e-tray exercise before, so any tips for it would be greatly appreciated!

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
Hey there,

My Linklaters interview was last cycle for a Spring VS. I understand they have changed the case study format this year, but hopefully you find some parts of my experience helpful anyway!

From what I can remember, the HR interview was not difficult. It was a standard competency interview - ‘why Law’, ‘what makes Linklaters different from other Magic Circle firms’, ‘a time you missed a deadline’. Know your CV well and use STAR method, and I think you will be fine!

For the case study - I remember my Linklaters AC invite described this part as an in-tray exercise, but it was more like a standard case study that I could type on a computer. It could be different this cycle though. The case study took the form of an M&A deal if I recall correctly. It had to do with a clothing company that was acquiring another clothes retailer, that had production arms in India and also I think there was an issue of a slight branding mismatch (independent niche v fast fashion). There were some competition issues involved in acquiring the company, also ongoing litigation, and I think general profitability issues.

Unfortunately I have never sat an actual e-tray exercise, I have only done mock e-tray exercises online. I know Eversheds does an e-tray as part of their AC (or at least they used to), so it may be worth checking if there is any feedback on that, either here on TCLA or elsewhere online. I think e-trays test your organisation and prioritisation skills, so you might want to take a note of who's your (fictitious) superior/subordinate in the workplace, and accept/delegate work accordingly.

All the very best :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.