LLM Personal Statement

lb0810

May 11, 2021
I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to share their LLM personal statement with me? I’m asking because I have no idea how to write one and really struggling to come up with anything!

LLM2022

Standard Member
Jul 9, 2021
I am happy to send you my cantab LLM one, but please note that it's not actually a 'personal statement'. Instead, they ask for a 'reason for applying', which is akin to a PS but has elements missing that ought to be included in an actual PS (e.g: career/professional goals, which were asked as a separate question). I can also send you my PS for the BCL but it is awfully short (300 words), and would not suffice for any course that places a great deal of weight on the personal statement.

Let me know if you still want them and I'm happy to dig them out :)

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to share their LLM personal statement with me? I’m asking because I have no idea how to write one and really struggling to come up with anything!
I wrote a different personal statement for each application as I generally had different motivations for each programme and university.

This is the general structure I followed but please note that I amended the structure, level of detail and length for each application according to their requirements and my motivations-
  • Your background and its relevance to your motivations for wanting to pursue an LLM
    • Definitely include details about your academic background, including courses you've studied and papers you've published/written that motivated you to pursue an LLM.
    • Bring in your professional background to showcase if/how it led you towards pursuing an LLM.
    • Depending on the university's word count requirements, bring in information about your personal background to demonstrate how it contributed to the development of your academic and professional goals.
  • Why do you want to study the LLM?
    • What does studying an LLM mean for your professional and academic goals
    • Highlight courses you're interested in studying and why
    • Mention any academics that you would like to work with for your dissertation and why
    • Depending upon word count, elaborate upon any dissertation topics that you have in mind
  • Why do you want to study at XYZ university?
    • Bring in information about their teaching style, programme structure etc. and elaborate on why this stands out to you
    • Bring in information about the quality of their careers services, alumni relations, speaking events etc. to highlight what attracts you to the university beyond the LLM
    • Tie in your background and motivations for the LLM with why you think the university is a perfect fit for you ( think about their student culture, the city the university is in and the advantages that affords, any strategic partnerships they have etc.)
I hope this helps! Please do reach out if you have any questions. All the best 😇

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.