LPC/Training Contract/Student Loan

Plum

Star Member
Oct 30, 2019
Hi all,

This is a little odd, but does anyone know if you are still eligible for the government student loan for the LLM LPC if you have a training contract? I appreciate that I am already in a fortunate position, but it would be so much easier to study if I could move out, and I can't afford to rent somewhere with the grant from the TC.

Thank you!

ingrids7836

Jun 4, 2019
I've been wondering the exact same thing and I feel like I'm one of those few people without parents/family close to London that I could live with for free / or parents willing and able to cover living expenses.

The grants our firms give us are generous, absolutely, but by no means enough to survive in London on for a year. I'm not starting until next year either so won't be able to take advantage of things being online for the time being.

Definitely in the same boat as you and going to have to look into loans!

Reactions: Serah O, H.N. and Alaw96

H.N.

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 22
Jul 28, 2020
This is a great thread- would love to read others' experiences with how they've coped with moving across the country to support themselves through a sponsored LPC and beyond!

anon0153

Sep 22, 2018
Hi all,

This is a little odd, but does anyone know if you are still eligible for the government student loan for the LLM LPC if you have a training contract? I appreciate that I am already in a fortunate position, but it would be so much easier to study if I could move out, and I can't afford to rent somewhere with the grant from the TC.

Thank you!
I don't see why not - the student loan company expressly says that if your additional income comes from a scholarship or grant, you are still eligible for the full loan so long as the LPC is paired with an LLM or MSc.

anon0153

Sep 22, 2018
Doesn’t the government loan go directly to the institution? So you wouldn’t be able to claim it I believe.
That's the case for undergraduate loan; however, with postgraduate, the money directly comes to you as at postgraduate stage, it is accepted that the masters' loan does not necessarily cover the entirety of course fees (e.g. some LLM courses are north of £20k) - and the best part is it is up to the postgraduate student whether to use the loan for fees or living expenses!

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
That's the case for undergraduate loan; however, with postgraduate, the money directly comes to you as at postgraduate stage, it is accepted that the masters' loan does not necessarily cover the entirety of course fees (e.g. some LLM courses are north of £20k) - and the best part is it is up to the postgraduate student whether to use the loan for fees or living expenses!

Ahh that’s fantastic. Thank you.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.