LPC with 'top-up masters'

frow3n

Distinguished Member
Aug 19, 2019
Hi!

I'm about halfway through my LPC course and have the option of doing a top-up masters with BPP.
Options are 'Commercial Legal Practice / Professional Legal Practice'. Currently, I don't have a TC so am wondering if its worth doing, and whether recruiters actually value it?

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Everyone knows the option is only there to enable students to get loan funding. It likely won't benefit you much if at all when it comes to job hunting. Only do it if you actually think you'll get something out of it personally.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    I think it is quite hard and no advantage to doing it unless you want a student loan to cover some (not all) of your LPC fees. I would avoid it if you can unless you need the student loan.

ZH

Esteemed Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Hi

I self funded the LPC and did the LLM - when applying for paralegal roles which then progressed to a TC, I was asked about my LLM and it was on real estate leaseholds, in specific a topic that the firm practiced in (leasehold enfranchisement) which I think made me stand out and was a positive!

I wouldn't say it has no advantage because it probably does and yes it requires some more hard work - if you have the time and strive to do it, go for it!

Reactions: frow3n

CaramelLatte

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 8, 2019
    Hi

Just saw this thread and wanted to add, similar to ZH above, I self-funded the LPC and did the LLM too (for funding purposes).

However, I was recently offered a TC off the back of a vac scheme and a large part of this was from building rapport with partners, incl. final interview partner, in which I mentioned my thesis topic, as it had a lot of commercial value to their own work. Therefore, an LLM thesis can help to demonstrate and convey that!

While it is extra work, it was certainly something useful to bring up, particularly if you choose a contemporary topic as I did.

All the best going forwards!

Reactions: Ricky

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.