Missed A level requirement, but have Uni and GDL requirements

Rgui

Dec 11, 2021
Hello!
Feeling stressed by A-level requirements as a bachelors and GDL graduate.

I got a BBB at A-levels, back in 2018. I have since got a high 2:1 (non law) at a RG uni and a distinction in the GDL.
Most firms I'm interested in have an AAB requirement - can I still apply? I also have a 6 month legal internship abroad.

I dont have any extenuating circumstances for my A-levels (but I do for my undergraduate and GDL).

Has anyone with a similar background successfully got TCs at one of these firms despite their A-levels. I feel I have gotten far more disciplined and intelligent since graduating college so it can be quite frustrating, that A-levels are still considered years on.

Would appreciate any advice or opinions :)

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Hi there!

Well done on nabbing a high 2:1 and a distinction! I wouldn't worry too much about your A-level grades. Some firms can be quite strict with their requirements, but I think most firms will not be as quite strict. In any case, don't let your grades put you off from applying. There are candidates with lower scores than yours who have managed to secure training contracts. There are also plenty of firms that do not look at A-levels, so you can look into applying to those.

You might find the following useful:

a list of leading law firms that apparently do not have minimum A-Level requirements:
    Ashurt
    arnold& porter
    Baker mckenzie
    BCLP
    Clifford Chance
    Freshfields
    HSF
    Macfarlanes
    Womble
    Gowling
    PwC
    Reed Smith
    Browne Jacobson
    Bird & Bird
    Skadden
    Sullivan & Cromwell
    Milbank
    Akin Gump
    Davis Polk & Wardwell
    Hope this is useful. Can people comment which firms that dont look/care about alevels

I hope this helps!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.