Motivation

jess889

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2018
Good morning all and happy saturday!

I came across this motivational post on Linkedin last night and wanted to share it with you all for some inspiration :)

http://www.accidentalcreative.com/creating/run-your-race-not-someone-elses/

Aw I needed this thank you! I feel really behind (trying to catch up with all my work) and everyone in law is obsessively talking about upcoming vacation schemes or training contract applications. I constantly feel like I'm not doing enough :(

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Aw I needed this thank you! I feel really behind (trying to catch up with all my work) and everyone in law is obsessively talking about upcoming vacation schemes or training contract applications. I constantly feel like I'm not doing enough :(

Hi Jess, glad you could relate to this and I totally agree with you and to be honest it is very draining (emotionally, mentally and physically)!!!

I don't know why, but I feel like there is an insane amount of pressure on people to get their lives to line up perfectly the first time ( I was guilty of this for years and years) but... just like the article said, our race cannot be compared to the race being run by others. So just keep working hard, following through with your plans and goals (also having fun at the same time!) and you will conquer this, I know it ;)

jess889

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2018
Hi Jess, glad you could relate to this and I totally agree with you and to be honest it is very draining (emotionally, mentally and physically)!!!

I don't know why, but I feel like there is an insane amount of pressure on people to get their lives to line up perfectly the first time ( I was guilty of this for years and years) but... just like the article said, our race cannot be compared to the race being run by others. So just keep working hard, following through with your plans and goals (also having fun at the same time!) and you will conquer this, I know it ;)

Thank you, I hope so! I completely agree there is so much pressure. We've got to secure a really competitive job and have so little time to do it. I also find it hard not to be worried about being seen as a failure probably because I set up a lot of high expectations for myself. I think that might be why these application rejections bring me down so much but I'm trying to take it easier!

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
Great post, so very true. I can say the same is true during the LPC, there's no use trying to compete with others (which seems to happen a fair bit!).

Reactions: Salma

Jaxkw

Star Member
Early Bird
Mar 15, 2018
Thank you, I hope so! I completely agree there is so much pressure. We've got to secure a really competitive job and have so little time to do it. I also find it hard not to be worried about being seen as a failure probably because I set up a lot of high expectations for myself. I think that might be why these application rejections bring me down so much but I'm trying to take it easier!

I'm glad this isn't just me. It's hard spending hours and hours on an application and then getting rejected, over and over again. I'm really hoping I'll have more luck this year.

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
I'm glad this isn't just me. It's hard spending hours and hours on an application and then getting rejected, over and over again. I'm really hoping I'll have more luck this year.

I agree with the both of you! But... the fact that we are actively taking steps to review our applications and draft it perfectly with the help of mentors such as J and his team/friends/ family/ careers service @ uni and whoever else is a good sign! We will get there in the end, rejection is part of the process we must go through to reach the end goal

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.