My Academics

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    Hello Everyone,

Apologies for my repetitive posts but I have finally graduated from a university in Scotland with a mid to high 2:1.

I got the English equivalent of 66%.

I got BBC at A Level, and a 2:2 in first year.

I secured a vacation scheme that I will not be undertaking within the Scottish office of an international law firm, that I won’t be undertaking because I got offered a training contract in the Scottish office of another international law firm.

I’m extremely worried that I won’t get accepted onto the Diploma in Legal Practice in Scotland, because entry on the Diploma is based on first and second year results, which I did not do well in. In such cases my training contract offer will be rescinded. I will be finding out whether I get into the Diploma on the 7th July.

I feel that Scottish offices are much less competitive than English ones. Therefore, I need back-up options in case it doesn’t work out. Please can I have some advice on my prospects of getting a TC in England, and other back up options if law doesn’t work out.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello Everyone,

Apologies for my repetitive posts but I have finally graduated from a university in Scotland with a mid to high 2:1.

I got the English equivalent of 66%.

I got BBC at A Level, and a 2:2 in first year.

I secured a vacation scheme that I will not be undertaking within the Scottish office of an international law firm, that I won’t be undertaking because I got offered a training contract in the Scottish office of another international law firm.

I’m extremely worried that I won’t get accepted onto the Diploma in Legal Practice in Scotland, because entry on the Diploma is based on first and second year results, which I did not do well in. In such cases my training contract offer will be rescinded. I will be finding out whether I get into the Diploma on the 7th July.

I feel that Scottish offices are much less competitive than English ones. Therefore, I need back-up options in case it doesn’t work out. Please can I have some advice on my prospects of getting a TC in England, and other back up options if law doesn’t work out.
    do you only want to work in Scotland?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I think there would be a whole range of other options whether outside of Scotland or within it. But I wouldn’t worry about that until the 7th July - and even then, I am assuming you could reapply for the Diploma in Legal Practice?

If you submitted details to say you had a training contract as part of your application, I suspect that will completely outweigh your first and second year grades anyway.

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    I think there would be a whole range of other options whether outside of Scotland or within it. But I wouldn’t worry about that until the 7th July - and even then, I am assuming you could reapply for the Diploma in Legal Practice?

If you submitted details to say you had a training contract as part of your application, I suspect that will completely outweigh your first and second year grades anyway.
    Hi Jessica, thanks so much for your response. You are correct in that it is the diploma provider’s discretion to consider traineeship offers. My own competition law professor is the diploma provider at my university, and he said the primary entry to the diploma in legal practice is the core modules across first and second year. Moreover, I called up the law society of Scotland, and a man literally said that there have been cases where people’s training contract offers have been rescinded for not being able to secure a diploma place.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, thanks so much for your response. You are correct in that it is the diploma provider’s discretion to consider traineeship offers. My own competition law professor is the diploma provider at my university, and he said the primary entry to the diploma in legal practice is the core modules across first and second year. Moreover, I called up the law society of Scotland, and a man literally said that there have been cases where people’s training contract offers have been rescinded for not being able to secure a diploma place.
    I can understand that to some extent (there is probably a correlation between these academic results and performance in the course) but that is crazy that they place ao much weighting on your grades (especially first year).

I suspect you will be fine so I would try not to worry about this. Wait another four weeks and then if you need to revisit our career opportunities you should. But I think investing a lot of time/energy into that now isn’t necessary.

If for any reason you didn’t get onto the course, there would be a whole load of opportunities in the rest of the U.K. for you - there is no reason why you couldn’t go forward for a English TC with a whole range of firms.

If you wanted to stay in Scotland, you could always look at alternative careers in areas like compliance or risk - especially within any of the financial services sector in Scotland. Your law degree would be of interest to many different roles/opportunities in that sector anyway.

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    I can understand that to some extent (there is probably a correlation between these academic results and performance in the course) but that is crazy that they place ao much weighting on your grades (especially first year).

I suspect you will be fine so I would try not to worry about this. Wait another four weeks and then if you need to revisit our career opportunities you should. But I think investing a lot of time/energy into that now isn’t necessary.

If for any reason you didn’t get onto the course, there would be a whole load of opportunities in the rest of the U.K. for you - there is no reason why you couldn’t go forward for a English TC with a whole range of firms.

If you wanted to stay in Scotland, you could always look at alternative careers in areas like compliance or risk - especially within any of the financial services sector in Scotland. Your law degree would be of interest to many different roles/opportunities in that sector anyway.
    Thank you so much Jessica for providing hope. Given my subpar academics, and the level of uncertainty, everything seems very confusing right now. Especially since, there are 1852 applications for Diploma positions and only 700 spots.

Therefore, I am happy there are other possibilities. In the meantime would you recommend trying to get a part time job in retail or hospitality? I am feeling very strange sitting at home unemployed after uni, with nothing much to do other than worry.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you so much Jessica for providing hope. Given my subpar academics, and the level of uncertainty, everything seems very confusing right now. Especially since, there are 1852 applications for Diploma positions and only 700 spots.

Therefore, I am happy there are other possibilities. In the meantime would you recommend trying to get a part time job in retail or hospitality? I am feeling very strange sitting at home unemployed after uni, with nothing much to do other than worry.
    Any work experience will be good in terms of building your skill set and obviously earning some money in the interim. You may also want to look for temp roles in commercial organisations too.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.