My unusual journey to a TC

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Hi Logan,

It is a great question. I actually used up all my loan when I did the master's at Durham University. So for the LPC I had to completely self-fund.

During my undergraduate and postgraduate degree, I worked in customer service and saved. It was not meant to be for the LPC but I decided to do it this summer after I could not move to London to Paralegal this year.

It is still a financial struggle and the only way I was able to afford it was by doing it remotely via the ULaw online-LPC. This means I have no accommodation costs as I am at home and hardly any costs to live (except phone and gym membership). It has been a tough year, I don't really have the money to do anything but I am telling myself it's just one year and will be so worth it in the future hopefully!

In regard to Travers, no reply yet!
    By the way, I tried working during the LPC but I could not balance it so I quit as soon as I could. So, shoutout to everyone who has, you are all superheroes.

Reactions: Cryingtiger

Logan1101

Distinguished Member
  • Jul 16, 2022
    Hi Logan,

It is a great question. I actually used up all my loan when I did the master's at Durham University. So for the LPC I had to completely self-fund.

During my undergraduate and postgraduate degree, I worked in customer service and saved. It was not meant to be for the LPC but I decided to do it this summer after I could not move to London to Paralegal this year.

It is still a financial struggle and the only way I was able to afford it was by doing it remote via the ULaw online-LPC. This means I have no accommodation costs as I am at home and hardly any costs to live (except phone and gym membership). It has been a tough year, I don't really have the money to do anything but I am telling myself its just one year and will be so worth it in the future hopefully!

That's great commitment on your part, I am not sure if I'd be able to do the same. I'm hoping I can get a firm to fund the SQE course for me but that's only possible if I secure a training contract. I am also worried about taking the paralegal route as I wouldn't want to be stuck in that role for years although technically paralegal work is qualifying work experience under the SQE system.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Cryingtiger and Ali A

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    DWF PFO post AC. Really disappointed as I thought I interviewed well even though I struggled with the written assessment and group exercise. I have a feedback call scheduled soon with the firm. I hope this will help me understand how I can improve and what let me down on the day.

Not too disheartened as I am still waiting for another firm post AC.

Fingers crossed that it is better news!

jamielidchi

Apr 1, 2023
    Hi Logan,

It is still a financial struggle and the only way I was able to afford it was by doing it remote via the ULaw online-LPC. This means I have no accommodation costs as I am at home and hardly any costs to live (except phone and gym membership). It has been a tough year, I don't really have the money to do anything but I am telling myself its just one year and will be so worth it in the future hopefully!

This is super inspiring, well done on your hard work and I hope it pays off for you.

• Love
    Reactions: Ali A

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    💕🎉👏 White & Case Summer Vacation Scheme offer 💕🎉👏

I honestly can't believe it. My first ever Vacation Scheme. After numerous rejections this cycle and over the years, it has been a long slog but so worth it. I'm excited about the scheme in the summer and getting to know more about the firm.

Really hope I convert it into a TC offer but also know the scheme will help me in the future regardless, super chuffed :)

This thread has become somewhat of a personal diary for me with contributions from others, I hope to continue using it in the coming weeks and months.

P.S. It is crazy to see the progress from when I started the thread in February to now. All in the space of 3 months. If I can get a Vac Scheme at such a great firm, it means so can whoever is reading this! I really recommend starting a thread like this as an accountability mechanism and also for other people to follow your journey which will undoubtedly end in success.

Love you all x

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

I honestly can't believe it. My first ever Vacation Scheme. After numerous rejections this cycle and over the years, it has been a long slog but so worth it. I'm excited about the scheme in the summer and getting to know more about the firm.

Really hope I convert it into a TC offer but also know the scheme will help me in the future regardless, super chuffed :)

This thread has become somewhat of a personal diary for me with contributions from others, I hope to continue using it in the coming weeks and months.

P.S. It is crazy to see the progress from when I started the thread in February to now. All in the space of 3 months. If I can get a Vac Scheme at such a great firm, it means so can whoever is reading this! I really recommend starting a thread like this as an accountability mechanism and also for other people to follow your journey which will undoubtedly end in success.

Love you all x

This is awesome to read. Well done Ali!

• Love

anon_law23

Standard Member
    Feb 8, 2023
    Hi Ali,

It has been great following your story and a huge congrats on White & Case! That is an amazing achievement. I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions:
    1) how did you motivate yourself to apply? also, how did you get over the rejections?
    2) what do you think stood out in your successful applications?
    3) what is your main advice to other applicants? i am studying the LPC as well but i have avoided applying bc i don't think i can balance it w/ studying

Tysm and best of luck for ur VS! 🎉

• Love

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Hi Ali,

It has been great following your story and a huge congrats on White & Case! That is an amazing achievement. I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions:
    1) how did you motivate yourself to apply? also, how did you get over the rejections?
    2) what do you think stood out in your successful applications?
    3) what is your main advice to other applicants? i am studying the LPC as well but i have avoided applying bc i don't think i can balance it w/ studying

Tysm and best of luck for ur VS! 🎉

Hey,

Thank you for the kind words!

I have responded to each of your questions below in the same order. Sorry if they are a bit wordy :)

1) The truth is I started the LPC in September with the intention and "motivation" from the summer to apply for so many firms starting from September. However, I let myself down as it had got to Christmas and I had sent off a grand total of 0 applications. Over the Christmas period, I had no uni and just stumbled on the TCLA success stories and sent off a quick application after feeling "motivated". By the end of Jan, I had sent off a fair amount without even realising it.

I think motivation isn't the right word but just getting the ball rolling with applications helps make the process a lot easier I have found. Even if you are not "motivated" send the first one off and you will see quickly how your mindset can change.

In regard to rejections, I initially took it badly and thought "I knew I wasn't good enough". But if you can get over this and almost ignore the rejections (I got to a point where I deleted the rejection emails straight away and maybe posted it on the forum and was done with it.) I occupied myself by applying to more firms. You reach a stage where rejections don't faze you. Saying that I found my recent post AC rejection a little harder but even then I knew I had another AC so refocused.

It is hard but once you realise rejection is inevitable and EVERYONE goes through it, you can become unstoppable.

2) In terms of what stood out in my successful apps (ones that made it past the first stage) was making sure they were error-free. During my second year, I applied but when looking back at those applications, I have found spelling/grammar/punctuation mistakes.

I now run every application through Grammarly which is a tip I got from a future trainee.

However, the main difference is that my application is tailored more than normal. I have had applications that have progressed when not so tailored but anyone can get lucky. For example, my W&C app sounds like I know ALOT about the firm and especially I can explain how my experiences and skills relate to the firm's culture and the work it does. My unsuccessful apps look like I have sent the same app to everyone but just changed it with stuff found on Legal Cheek.

I also found looking at other people's successful apps really helped me figure out what was needed to get past the application stage.

3) I still don't feel like I am best placed to give advice as I have only just secured my first VS after many years.

But if I had to give advice it would be to work on your self-belief before giving this process a proper go. If you do not believe you can get a TC at the biggest firms then it turns out you can't. I would then say to use every resource possible and try to talk and learn from people who have been successful. Lastly, the most important piece of advice I would give is most people who want a VS/TC will eventually get one. This is because if they REALLY want it, they won't stop until they get one regardless of how long it takes. So perseverance is key and staying committed even in the face of adversity means you will be a future trainee solicitor in no time.

In regard to the LPC, it is tough to balance this with applications. Even I underestimated this. However, like I said if you know you want to make applications a priority, I believe you can sacrifice and make time to achieve this. It will be a struggle but with proper organisation and planning I still think you can get good applications sent off. If you really want it, you will find a way. This sounds harsh but in recent weeks I have found it to be true not just for me but others.

Good luck with everything. Even by asking these questions you seem committed, proactive and honest so it is only a matter of time before we all celebrate your successes.

If you have any more questions please let me know :)

Cryingtiger

Valued Member
    Dec 11, 2020
    Hey,

I have responded to each of your questions below in the same order. Sorry if they are a bit wordy :)

1) The truth is I started the LPC in September with the intention and "motivation" from the summer to apply for so many firms starting from September. However, I let myself down as it had got to Christmas and I had sent off a grand total of 0 applications. Over the Christmas period, I had no uni and just stumbled on the TCLA success stories and sent off a quick application after feeling "motivated". By the end of Jan, I had sent off a fair amount without even realising it.

I think motivation isn't the right word but just getting the ball rolling with applications helps make the process a lot easier I have found. Even if you are not "motivated" send the first one off and you will see quickly how your mindset can change.

In regard to rejections, I initially took it badly and thought "I knew I wasn't good enough". But if you can get over this and almost ignore the rejections (I got to a point where I deleted the rejection emails straight away and maybe posted it on the forum and was done with it.) I occupied myself by applying to more firms. You reach a stage where rejections don't faze you. Saying that I found my recent post AC rejection a little harder but even then I knew I had another AC so refocused.

It is hard but once you realise rejection is inevitable and EVERYONE goes through it, you can become unstoppable.

2) In terms of what stood out in my successful apps (ones that made it past the first stage) was making sure they were error-free. During my second year, I applied but when looking back at those applications, I have found spelling/grammar/punctuation mistakes.

I now run every application through Grammarly which is a tip I got from a future trainee.

However, the main difference is that my application is tailored more than normal. I have had applications that have progressed when not so tailored but anyone can get lucky. For example, my W&C app sounds like I know ALOT about the firm and especially I can explain how my experiences and skills relate to the firm's culture and the work it does. My unsuccessful apps look like I have sent the same app to everyone but just changed it with stuff found on Legal Cheek.

I also found looking at other people's successful apps really helped me figure out what was needed to get past the application stage.

3) I still don't feel like I am best placed to give advice as I have only just secured my first VS after many years.

But if I had to give advice it would be to work on your self-belief before giving this process a proper go. If you do not believe you can get a TC at the biggest firms then it turns out you can't. I would then say to use every resource possible and try to talk and learn from people who have been successful. Lastly, the most important piece of advice I would give is most people who want a VS/TC will eventually get one. This is because if they REALLY want it, they won't stop until they get one regardless of how long it takes. So perseverance is key and staying committed even in the face of adversity means you will be a future trainee solicitor in no time.

In regard to the LPC, it is tough to balance this with applications. Even I underestimated this. However, like I said if you know you want to make applications a priority, I believe you can sacrifice and make time to achieve this. It will be a struggle but with proper organisation and planning I still think you can get good applications sent off. If you really want it, you will find a way. This sounds harsh but in recent weeks I have found it to be true not just for me but others.

Good luck with everything. Even by asking these questions you seem committed, proactive and honest so it is only a matter of time before we all celebrate your successes.

Amazing post @Ali A - very inspiring!!!!

• 🏆

ADKM

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2022

Love you all x
    Hi Ali, hearty congratulations mate! This is fantastic news. I’ve been following your personal thread since February when you started. You inspired me to start my own thread, your post really gives me so much optimism to hang in there and just keep applying. All the best with the scheme. I’m rooting for your success on that TC offer 🎉🎉🎉

Attachments

• 1681410833351.png
      1681410833351.png
      115.9 KB · Views: 1

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Hi Ali, hearty congratulations mate! This is fantastic news. I’ve been following your personal thread since February when you started. You inspired me to start my own thread, your post really gives me so much optimism to hang in there and just keep applying. All the best with the scheme. I’m rooting for your success on that TC offer 🎉🎉🎉
    Thank you for the kind words Aditya! It really means alot!

That is amazing to hear. I will be following your personal thread with a keen eye and look forward to celebrating your upcoming successes.

Tonye

Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 31, 2021

Love you all x
    I have never felt this proud of a complete stranger in my life. Well done @Ali A !!!!!! 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

Also, thank you so much for sharing your story. I found it very very inspiring. Best of luck !!!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Erin, Jaysen and Ali A

anon_law23

Standard Member
    Feb 8, 2023
    Hey,

Hey Ali,

Thank you so much for all your advice! I legit cannot thank you enough - your advice has put my mind at rest. I think I am going to sit this recruitment cycle out because I know I am not in the right headspace to do applications.

I will definitely reach out with any more questions. In the meantime, best of luck for ur VS and I look forward to hearing more about ur story!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.