Online BPP LPC/GDL- Will you still move?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mia97, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Mia97

Mia97 Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    BPP unlike ULaw have decided that for Sept 2020 ; all their courses will begin online virtually. For any future trainees or LPC/GDL'ers are you considering still moving to London/or the city of your course? Or are you planning on just staying at home as the course will be online?

As I'm so unsure myself...the financial benefit of staying at home is swaying me, but also fairly keen to move out now and start my life in the city....

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Alice G

Alice G Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator

TCLA Credits:
    I think this is an important post and sadly something I’m not sure about how to answer. I’d be tempted to stay home and maybe speak to my firm if I’m being sponsored about that decision and also BPP. I guess they could speak to the benefits of being close and maybe, in time, the social side to studying and being in a cohort might mean you could feel like you miss out. Having said that, I’ve kind of accepted that sadly this year just won’t be how I imagined and maybe it’ll be the LPC that I get to meet new people and meet new friends. I wonder if the library services that are available to us physically are a matter to consider. I would suspect many things are digitally available and guess the odd train journey to london and a weekend Airbnb (based on how far you are) might be more financially expedient to do work which requires the books themselves than arguably moving here.

sorry I’m not being much help here but I’d be tempted to stay home in all honesty. I live 60 mins away from Waterloo where I’d be studying and can’t see myself going into the capital anytime soon.

Is there a BPP centre nearer to where you’re considering staying home instead where you could be transferred to? Not sure again if this is an option but just something to put out there in case!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Romiras

Romiras Distinguished Member
    Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    If everything is virtual - there probably isn't a real reason to come to London and pay higher rent, etc. It'd have to be purely based on your desire to be in London for its social experiences. Everything you will need to perform well on the LPC will be made available virtually.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Romiras

Romiras Distinguished Member
    Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    No one ever uses the library services - everything will be online / virtual.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Alice G

Alice G Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator

TCLA Credits:
    Thank you for clarifying! :)

6. Mia97

Mia97 Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hey thank you for your response! It's nice to hear others thought processes about this. Yes, I agree I think I just need to accept this year is not how we all may have planned. Hard pill to swallow sometimes :( Holborn would be my nearest; I live about 45mins train away so may do the odd weekend airbnb.

It's just a shame I won't get to bond with my cohort before we start next year. BPP also have not been helpful at all, I still don't even know exact term dates, if they will still provide physical books to us, registration cards etc. Oh well, just going to focus on being grateful I have a TC regardless despite all of this and stay positive.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Alice G

Alice G Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator

TCLA Credits:
    You’re absolutely right- it’s definitely good to keep things in perspective and I’m so beyond grateful to have a TC and that I’m able to start my study to enter my dream career with my first choice firm! I think legal practice requires resilience and adaptability so hopefully this just develops us further as people as well in terms of navigating these challenges. I’d hope that we can all maybe commit to trying to get to know each other remotely like maybe doing social things online like quizzes or something instead of maybe going for coffees/other social aspects you’d do in person. I’d definitely be up for suggesting something like that if we all feel the same :) I’ll be doing the PGDL at BPP Waterloo and not sure if you’re doing the same or maybe the LPC since you said Holborn but do keep in touch! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. amb98

amb98 Star Member

TCLA Credits: