Online GDL

Phoebe-Lou

Feb 8, 2019
Sorry if this is elsewhere but I couldn't find anything

I have been looking at GDL and LLM options and one option I have come across is an online GDL at the University of Law - I was wondering if law firms would look down on you if you chose to take this route? Also if there is a difference between a regular GDL and an online one? I have done a bit of research but couldn't find any differences to the work one does on the course.

Any information would be great! Thank you in advance :)

Vany

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2018

I have been looking at GDL and LLM options and one option I have come across is an online GDL at the University of Law - I was wondering if law firms would look down on you if you chose to take this route? Also if there is a difference between a regular GDL and an online one? I have done a bit of research but couldn't find any differences to the work one does on the course.

Hi Phoebe-Lou,

I don't know much about the course at the University of Law, but I did an online distance learning GDL course at BPP. There was absolutely no difference in the course structure, everyone studied and was examined on the same content. All distance learning and the other students had to sit the same exams on the same days in London.

The only difference is on the personal and social level. This has worked for me, as I don't live in the UK and was working part-time at the time.

Also, I have never heard from recruiters that doing an online GDL is less worthy. I think you could actually emphasise in your future applications how you managed to study online and work part-time for example (or other activities in parallel), showing your time-management skills.

If anyone has heard anything to the contrary, feel free to add :)

Good luck !

Syafiqkay92

Star Member
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2018

Hi Phoebe

I talked to one grad rec at CC and she told me that they don’t look down on anything. At this firm, the interview is cv blind and they will ask you to tell them about anything in your cv that makes you stand out when they first met you. So I think you don’t have to worry so much. In fact, I think doing an online GDL is much more difficult than face to face because you need to be super discipline.

You just need to be cautious of the risk of not being able to be discipline. I took an online master previously alongside my full time work and was not able to finish as I couldn’t find the time to fit with my current work. I am not trying to discourage you but if you do decide to do this, you should definitely think of how to manage this risk. You can definitely show law firms of your ability to commit to online GDL despite other commitments in your life.

Best of luck!

Reactions: Vany

Phoebe-Lou

Feb 8, 2019
Thank you so much this is all so incredibly helpful! I would be doing it alongside part time work but as I am outside the uk for the forseeable future, it would make more sense to do it online. I don't think I could manage doing it alongside a masters, but I am incredibly impressed that you attempted an online masters alongside current work !

Reactions: Vany

Syafiqkay92

Star Member
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2018
Thank you so much this is all so incredibly helpful! I would be doing it alongside part time work but as I am outside the uk for the forseeable future, it would make more sense to do it online. I don't think I could manage doing it alongside a masters, but I am incredibly impressed that you attempted an online masters alongside current work !
Hi Phoebe

I think it makes sense for you to do it online. Good luck!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.