PGDL law foundations course info

IRO

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer 5
Jan 21, 2021
Hi sa174m, hoping I can pick your brains! I've got my timetable through now (full time in person) and I just have four workshops a week. Am I right in thinking that there are no lectures etc? It's just four workshops a week with all the independent study and preparation on top of that? additionally, what happens if you miss a workshop? If you know you are going to need to miss one for something like hospital treatment, funeral, etc etc - is there someone you need to ask if you're missing a workshop and how do you catch up?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!
Just to give you a quick reply: yes, it’s 4x2 hours of contact in workshops per week, the rest is all independent study. You can find details about how the independent study is structured on the hub or in the induction.

If you miss a workshop you can watch the recording of the workshop to catch up on what you missed. This will be available on the hub after the workshop takes place.

horsesforlawcourses

Oct 14, 2021
Just to give you a quick reply: yes, it’s 4x2 hours of contact in workshops per week, the rest is all independent study. You can find details about how the independent study is structured on the hub or in the induction.

If you miss a workshop you can watch the recording of the workshop to catch up on what you missed. This will be available on the hub after the workshop takes place.
thank you so much for your help. I am working through the pre-course at the moment but wasn't able to find a definitive answer re. attendance, except somewhere it says you can be penalised if you don't turn up. Because they seem to be taking place in person I didn't think they would be recorded!

IRO

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer 5
Jan 21, 2021
thank you so much for your help. I am working through the pre-course at the moment but wasn't able to find a definitive answer re. attendance, except somewhere it says you can be penalised if you don't turn up. Because they seem to be taking place in person I didn't think they would be recorded!
I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure that's what Learning Support told me. I may have to miss workshops due to my disability and Learning Support said that that was fine and that it was easy to catch up if needed. (The didn't say anything about being penalised though)

I think the Collaborate section of the workshop on the hub is updated with everything you need to catch up post workshop.

sa174m

• Jul 3, 2022
    Hi sa174m, hoping I can pick your brains! I've got my timetable through now (full time in person) and I just have four workshops a week. Am I right in thinking that there are no lectures etc? It's just four workshops a week with all the independent study and preparation on top of that? additionally, what happens if you miss a workshop? If you know you are going to need to miss one for something like hospital treatment, funeral, etc etc - is there someone you need to ask if you're missing a workshop and how do you catch up?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!
    Hi! No worries at all.

You are right. There are no lectures. They are workshops which means you have to self-study/prepare the content and come to class ready to tackle some group work. It can get really dense so if you fall behind, it is ok. Just try to do as much of the main readings (the ones on Century) and the main VPE task.

If you miss a workshop, nothing really happens. The recording will be on the portal anyway and you can rewatch it at your own pace and in your own time. If you're an international student on a student visa, then you shouldn't miss too many (I missed like 4/5 one semester and it was fine though). I knew a lot of people who skipped a lot of workshops and it was fine but obviously I don't recommend it unless it is an emergency.

Hope this helped and please don't worry about asking too many questions!

horsesforlawcourses

Oct 14, 2021
    I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure that's what Learning Support told me. I may have to miss workshops due to my disability and Learning Support said that that was fine and that it was easy to catch up if needed. (The didn't say anything about being penalised though)

I think the Collaborate section of the workshop on the hub is updated with everything you need to catch up post workshop.
    Hi! No worries at all.

You are right. There are no lectures. They are workshops which means you have to self-study/prepare the content and come to class ready to tackle some group work. It can get really dense so if you fall behind, it is ok. Just try to do as much of the main readings (the ones on Century) and the main VPE task.

If you miss a workshop, nothing really happens. The recording will be on the portal anyway and you can rewatch it at your own pace and in your own time. If you're an international student on a student visa, then you shouldn't miss too many (I missed like 4/5 one semester and it was fine though). I knew a lot of people who skipped a lot of workshops and it was fine but obviously I don't recommend it unless it is an emergency.

Hope this helped and please don't worry about asking too many questions!

Thanks so much both - much appreciated! I feel completely clueless, the way it is organised is so different to my undergrad, which was a few years ago anyway! :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.