Pinsent Masons Application 2019/20

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
I've found a few free logical reasoning tests but it doesn't seem like Pinsent Mason's test is structured in the same way?
I doubt it differs massively from other critical thinking tests, like the Watson Glaser. Maybe it includes verbal/numeric reasoning and/or situational judgement, but you can find plenty of free practice tests for these things individually online.

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
I

I did the full count for the two questions I considered most important (why PM? & why commercial law?). The others I used maybe two thirds to three quarters. I'm not sure its actually possibly to use 4000 characters for hobbies without waffling...

The same can be said for all the questions.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
So I'm looking at applying for the TC after being unsuccessful (at the application stage) for the vac scheme application.

Any advice from those who were successful would be really appreciated. For example, how did you tackle the word counts for the hobby and achievement questions? Did you use the full 4000 characters or look at being concise?

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019
So I'm looking at applying for the TC after being unsuccessful (at the application stage) for the vac scheme application.

Any advice from those who were successful would be really appreciated. For example, how did you tackle the word counts for the hobby and achievement questions? Did you use the full 4000 characters or look at being concise?

This application was the only firm I applied to with an extensive amount of words/characters to fill. Although you don't have to use the entire 4000 character cap, I think firms offer this amount for a reason. They want you to fill the space to tell them more about your experiences/personality/interests to get to know you better.

I got past the application stage and used up almost the entire character count for each question. For the hobbies question specifically, I only discussed two hobbies of mine in depth. I think limiting yourself to 1 or 2 will allow you to discuss it more in depth and show your passion for it fully instead of mentioning every hobby or achievement you have!

Reactions: Andrew M

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
This application was the only firm I applied to with an extensive amount of words/characters to fill. Although you don't have to use the entire 4000 character cap, I think firms offer this amount for a reason. They want you to fill the space to tell them more about your experiences/personality/interests to get to know you better.

I got past the application stage and used up almost the entire character count for each question. For the hobbies question specifically, I only discussed two hobbies of mine in depth. I think limiting yourself to 1 or 2 will allow you to discuss it more in depth and show your passion for it fully instead of mentioning every hobby or achievement you have!
Thank you for sharing. When you discussed hobbies, did you use the STAR structure to answering? And did you use it as an opportunity to discuss their trainee values?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for sharing. When you discussed hobbies, did you use the STAR structure to answering? And did you use it as an opportunity to discuss their trainee values?

STAR is too descriptive for a broad question like this on an application form. You don't need to take this approach unless the question is asking you to focus on a specific example.

I don't think you need to explain the trainee values either. Trying to think about aligning your examples to their values is great but you don't have to be explicit in talking about them.

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019

STAR is too descriptive for a broad question like this on an application form. You don't need to take this approach unless the question is asking you to focus on a specific example.

I don't think you need to explain the trainee values either. Trying to think about aligning your examples to their values is great but you don't have to be explicit in talking about them.

I agree with Jessica. There's no need to use the STAR method for this question particularly. Just discuss your interests/experiences in depth. I looked at the trainee values to get an idea of how my examples aligned with them to make my answer stronger. As long as you are passionate about your hobbies/achievements and write about it succinctly, then your answer will be good! Feel free to PM me if you want me to edit your answer/take a look.

• 🤝
Reactions: Andrew M

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020

Thank you! After an successful VS cycle I'm just starting to second guess everything now

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
I agree with Jessica. There's no need to use the STAR method for this question particularly. Just discuss your interests/experiences in depth. I looked at the trainee values to get an idea of how my examples aligned with them to make my answer stronger. As long as you are passionate about your hobbies/achievements and write about it succinctly, then your answer will be good! Feel free to PM me if you want me to edit your answer/take a look.
That's very kind of you, thank you!

Reactions: Asmee DC

Popal

Distinguished Member
Feb 25, 2020
Hi all,

I'm thinking of applying for the direct training contract (already done vacation schemes), and was wondering if anyone knew anything about relocating trainees to different offices during the training contract for different seats. I live with my long-term boyfriend in London and don't really want to be separated from him and have to move somewhere else. 6 months is a long time!

Does anyone know whether this can be avoided, or is it just luck of the draw?

Many thanks

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.