Planning to complete the SQE? Introduce yourself here.

ferrara_marti

Standard Member
Premium Member
Dec 22, 2021
Hello Everyone!
My name is Martina and I have just graduated from my LLB. I am currently working as a paralegal in Australia and looking into the SQE pathway. My goal is to go back to the UK next year and continue my career there :)
Looking to sit the SQE 1 and 2 by the beginning of 2025. Any advice on what courses to pick, any tips on the actual SQE ... more than welcome!!
Thank you ! :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all, My name is Nicky. I'm a paralegal and recently started studying for the SQE 1 exams with QLTS. Any study tips would be much appreciated, there is so much to get through, trying to find my feet with best way to study and learn all the material.
    Hello Everyone!
    My name is Martina and I have just graduated from my LLB. I am currently working as a paralegal in Australia and looking into the SQE pathway. My goal is to go back to the UK next year and continue my career there :)
    Looking to sit the SQE 1 and 2 by the beginning of 2025. Any advice on what courses to pick, any tips on the actual SQE ... more than welcome!!
    Thank you ! :)
    Hi everyone! I'm starting SQE1 in October with Barbri, looking to do the July 2024 exam. I'm based in London and down for any study groups!

Welcome to the community all of you :)

Reactions: GF

Sara

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 17, 2018
    Hi everyone! I'm starting SQE1 in October with Barbri, looking to do the July 2024 exam. I'm based in London and down for any study groups!
    Hi GF and everyone . I'm also starting the SqE1 in October with Babri. I'll be working alongside it and will be taking the exams in July. In Manchester though. Goodluck with yours! We could have a virtual study group if you can't find anyone local?

Reactions: GF

Emran ahmed

Oct 7, 2023
    Hey everyone,

Welcome to our new SQE forum!

We decided to create this forum following our conversations with prospective SQE candidates. I know there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding what to expect from the SQE, how you should prepare, and how to pass the exam. The goal of this forum is to increase the transparency on discussions related to the SQE, provide a space to connect with other prospective students and access support from those who have completed the SQE.

If you are thinking of completing the SQE or are due to begin your programme soon, feel free to introduce yourself below, including your:

- Stage
    - When you will be starting the SQE (if applicable)
    - What support you are looking for

This will help to connect you with other students going through a similar journey, as well as give us a better understanding of what support to provide you with. We'll be working on free content in this space over the next year that we hope will be useful to all of you.

Thanks,
    Jaysen
    Hi there! I am an overseas student, doing my LLM here in UK, so am I eligible for SQE exam??

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi there! I am an overseas student, doing my LLM here in UK, so am I eligible for SQE exam??
    Anyone is eligible to take the SQE assessment as long as you have an undergraduate degree level qualification (from any country, and any degree discipline). Given you are on an LLM course now, I would assume that is the case.

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 18, 2022
    Hi all -

Maybe the wrong thread for this, let me know. I am a career changer with no formal legal work experience, trying to get a Vac Scheme currently. I have been speaking to other career changers who have secured TCs (or even students), and increasingly I am hearing that what recruiters really value is showing some 'skin in the game' - by signing up to a GDL (or now SQE I assume) course. I have been building my legal CV with mostly open days / virtual events and programs but feel my current professional experience is also related to law (professional service type job). Would anyone be able to chime in on whether enrolling in a SQE course would dramatically increase my chances? I was considering doing the GDL part time, as worst case scenario I do a degree course I enjoy, which allows me to work and spread the cost, but now with the SQE I am unsure if this would essentially be a waste of time as most firms seem to be strictly moving to SQE (I am only really looking at large City firms).

Thanks all

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all -

Maybe the wrong thread for this, let me know. I am a career changer with no formal legal work experience, trying to get a Vac Scheme currently. I have been speaking to other career changers who have secured TCs (or even students), and increasingly I am hearing that what recruiters really value is showing some 'skin in the game' - by signing up to a GDL (or now SQE I assume) course. I have been building my legal CV with mostly open days / virtual events and programs but feel my current professional experience is also related to law (professional service type job). Would anyone be able to chime in on whether enrolling in a SQE course would dramatically increase my chances? I was considering doing the GDL part time, as worst case scenario I do a degree course I enjoy, which allows me to work and spread the cost, but now with the SQE I am unsure if this would essentially be a waste of time as most firms seem to be strictly moving to SQE (I am only really looking at large City firms).

Thanks all
    The “skin in the game” can be demonstrated by other evidence outside of committing to the GDL/SQE, whether that be open days, insight programmes, work experience, virtual internships, e-learning, blogging/vlogging m, other extra curriculars.

I think it is important to show commitment, but I don’t think that has to be done with the SQE/GDL (from experience anyway).

Reactions: Jaysen
    The “skin in the game” can be demonstrated by other evidence outside of committing to the GDL/SQE, whether that be open days, insight programmes, work experience, virtual internships, e-learning, blogging/vlogging m, other extra curriculars.

I think it is important to show commitment, but I don’t think that has to be done with the SQE/GDL (from experience anyway).
    Hi all -

Thanks all
    Hi, at The College of Legal Practice, we agree that you could show your commitment in different ways to prospective employers and if you are already working in professional services that will greatly help your applications.

However, if you haven't done a law degree in the UK, we would be recommending completing a conversion course before you start SQE prep once you get to that stage, as will the majority of firms. Learning all 13 practice areas for SQE1 from scratch is very difficult if you don't have a law degree. We have a Graduate Foundation in Law that you could consider, alongside GDLs (in fact our GFL will soon become a GDL), so as this is the first step the firms will be wanting you to take anyway towards qualification, you wouldn't be wasting your time, but some firms will fund you through the conversion course too.

It is worth asking the recruiters from the firms that you are most interested in applying too as well, as they are taking different approaches.

Hope that helps

Alice

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.