Planning to complete the SQE? Introduce yourself here.

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Hey! Which revision guides if you don't mind me asking?
    Hi! After looking at a few reviews, I bought the Revise SQE books. They were considerably cheaper than ULaw's books and far more targeted with the knowledge you need to actively recall for the SQE. I've actually been surprised by how easy they are to understand as well. There was one topic I really struggled with in Trusts during my PGDL and their books helped me to understand it almost immediately. I think your ULaw books should be covered by the course cost if you end up going to ULaw though. I've had a look through them and I think they are really useful, but maybe have a bit too much unecessary detail in them in comparison to the Revise SQE books.

I'm also keeping an eye out for SQE Answered and the new SQE buddy notes coming out. I've not purchased them yet, but if I find any significant knowledge gaps during my revision, I may have a look at these as an alternative set of revision guides.

I did the PGDL at BPP, so I know that the resources they provide really didn't work for my learning style. Unfortunately I don't get a choice of where to study now (although obvioulsy super grateful to have a TC), so I thought I would prepare for the course by supplementing their resources with notes that work for me better.

Reactions: Jaysen, OB and Erin

Erin

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Operations
    Jul 13, 2022
    Hello everyone! Sarah here, I have not yet secured a TC but am hoping there is good news awaiting from my upcoming vacation schemes! Nevertheless, I have paid down a deposit to start the SQE LLM at Ulaw this September if it is not good news (and I will likely be there if it is good news too)
    Hi Sarah, welcome to the community! 😊 I wish you all the best of luck with your upcoming vacation schemes, we are all rooting for you! 🤞

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi everyone! I'm currently completing the LLM SQE1&2 course at ULaw sponsored by my firm. I sat SQE1 in January 2023 and sadly failed FLK1 by 1% so I'm resitting FLK1 in July. Happy to try and answer any questions anyone has, and if anyone wants a study buddy for July, let me know!

Erin

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Operations
    Jul 13, 2022
    Hi everyone! I'm currently completing the LLM SQE1&2 course at ULaw sponsored by my firm. I sat SQE1 in January 2023 and sadly failed FLK1 by 1% so I'm resitting FLK1 in July. Happy to try and answer any questions anyone has, and if anyone wants a study buddy for July, let me know!
    Hi there, welcome to the community! ⭐️ Thank you for your lovely offer of being a study buddy, this a great idea! All the best of luck resitting FLK1, I know you'll be brilliant. 😊

• Love
    Reactions: Jaysen and OB

Anisah Shah

Standard Member
    Feb 5, 2020
    Hi there! Best of luck on your resit, such a shame to be off by just 1% but I'm sure you'll smash it this time :) I'm interested in talking a little more about your experience with the exams and what you found most challenging?

• 🤝
    Reactions: Erin

saz a

Star Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jun 29, 2020
    I was wondering if anyone had any textbooks or revision guides that I can read now (in my gap year) - as I have 2 months to spare before starting the SQE in September. Also, my knowledge of the LLB has considerably deteriorated. Is there a book that consolidates all the information I need to know which I can purchase now?

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi there! Best of luck on your resit, such a shame to be off by just 1% but I'm sure you'll smash it this time :) I'm interested in talking a little more about your experience with the exams and what you found most challenging?
    Hi Anisah! I found the studying experience very intense on the ULaw course as we learnt the 'practical law' modules in about 10 weeks and we didn't cover the academic law which makes up half the exam! Then it was a mix of lots to learn in a short amount of time and then also a bit of fear of the unknown of what the exam would be like paired with how long it was and how far I had to travel for it! I'm not selling it very well but think it should get better once these prep courses etc become more established!

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I was wondering if anyone had any textbooks or revision guides that I can read now (in my gap year) - as I have 2 months to spare before starting the SQE in September. Also, my knowledge of the LLB has considerably deteriorated. Is there a book that consolidates all the information I need to know which I can purchase now?
    Devil's Advocate online has some good study notes etc for £15/month if you wanted to have a look for a while and practice the LLB stuff/get a head start on the practical law subjects. Also the Revise SQE books on Amazon are quite good, just like uni revision guides but geared towards the SQE. Both have practice questions etc to get used to the format!

Reactions: Jaysen

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Anyone doing the LLM Legal Practice (SQE1&2) at ULaw in Manchester this coming September? I'm looking cobble together a study group to review the core law stuff and get a head start before the course starts. Feel free to DM me if you're interested.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Ella98 and Erin

saz a

Star Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jun 29, 2020
    Anyone doing the LLM Legal Practice (SQE1&2) at ULaw in Manchester this coming September? I'm looking cobble together a study group to review the core law stuff and get a head start before the course starts. Feel free to DM me if you're interested.
    Great Idea! I would propose the same for people starting the SQE at Ulaw this Sep at Moorgate :)

JD

Distinguished Member
    May 1, 2020
    Hi everyone, I have a TC and my firm is asking me to do the SQE 1 & 2 LLM course at uni of law in sept although I already have the LPC so I'm exempt from the SQE 1 exams. Would love to know if anyone had any insights on the SQE LLM course in general and how to approach the SQE 2 being a LPC grad

applyingfortc

M&A Bootcamp
    Oct 6, 2019
    Hi everyone! I just completed my LLB Law undergraduate and will start the SQE later this year! I haven't got a TC unfortunately so I am self-funding. I am still deciding whether to do the SQE course at ULaw or BPP, does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

m.khair

Premium Member
    Aug 19, 2022
    Hi! I'm Mohammad, an LLM graduate and an international student here in the UK. Trying to secure a TC or any job in corporate law as I have already qualified back home, also preparing to sit my SQE in Jan 2024.

Law1099

Valued Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    Hi. Sorry to hear you failed FLK1 by 1%! Can I ask how your firm reacted/ the process for delaying your tc because of this?

My contract says that if I fail the SQE my TC will be rescinded. Just wondering if that’s a normal thing

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi. Sorry to hear you failed FLK1 by 1%! Can I ask how your firm reacted/ the process for delaying your tc because of this?

My contract says that if I fail the SQE my TC will be rescinded. Just wondering if that’s a normal thing
    I actually had to wait about two weeks until I found out if I could keep my TC and that it would be pushed back by 6 months (as they wanted all SQE exams to be completed before starting). My contract didn't specifically state they could rescind but my firm listened to a lot of talks with other firms etc around results day to come up with a consensus on how to treat early stage SQE results. I was in contact with others from different firms who also had to wait and then were allowed to continue, but I also know of people who had their TC rescinded! So it is really firm dependent :/

I would recommend if you have anything at all going on in your personal life during the course/revision period that you make grad rec aware just in case a decision like that has to be made!

• 🤝

Law1099

Valued Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    I actually had to wait about two weeks until I found out if I could keep my TC and that it would be pushed back by 6 months (as they wanted all SQE exams to be completed before starting). My contract didn't specifically state they could rescind but my firm listened to a lot of talks with other firms etc around results day to come up with a consensus on how to treat early stage SQE results. I was in contact with others from different firms who also had to wait and then were allowed to continue, but I also know of people who had their TC rescinded! So it is really firm dependent :/

I would recommend if you have anything at all going on in your personal life during the course/revision period that you make grad rec aware just in case a decision like that has to be made!
    Thank you! That really is so terrible that TCs are being rescinded based off a failure of the first cohort.

Reactions: Jaysen and OB

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Thank you! That really is so terrible that TCs are being rescinded based off a failure of the first cohort.
    I honestly think it's wrong for students to be jeopardised in these early stages when prep courses are largely not up to scratch yet! The providers are learning as they go and making small improvements with each intake but there should definitely be some sort of grace period until we can guarantee the right things are being taught and there are more accessible past papers! The CLLS are doing great work fighting for us students to ensure firms keep an open mind with this but hopefully these are just teething problems and the SQE process will improve!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.