Pre-employment volunteering check

OreoShake

Star Member
  • Sep 12, 2021
    Hi all,

I think I will have to undergo a pre-employment background check.

I have all things ready but what bugs me is the 2 years volunteer work that I have participated in.

I have been cleaning and reassembling computers that will be sent to schools overseas. I left no documents since it was very informal.

And what I hate is that the volunteering organisation I worked for has gone down…

But I do have some photos of the computers and messages I made which do certainly contain discussion on the works I did.

So my question is:
    1. Do background check companies tend to check for volunteering work as well?
    2. Would there be some advice on this situation?

It would be sad to lose a job for this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,

I think I will have to undergo a pre-employment background check.

I have all things ready but what bugs me is the 2 years volunteer work that I have participated in.

I have been cleaning and reassembling computers that will be sent to schools overseas. I left no documents since it was very informal.

And what I hate is that the volunteering organisation I worked for has gone down…

But I do have some photos of the computers and messages I made which do certainly contain discussion on the works I did.

So my question is:
    1. Do background check companies tend to check for volunteering work as well?
    2. Would there be some advice on this situation?

It would be sad to lose a job for this.
    They may try to check but know it’s unlikely they will get a reference from such an organisation.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. If the reference company need something from you, they will explain this and you can provide other forms of confirmation (eg emails you received from the organisation or maybe a personal reference that can verify you did this activity) or the matter will just be signed off as a recent error was not obtainable. I don’t think this is an issue, especially if the organisation no longer exists.

OreoShake

Star Member
  • Sep 12, 2021
    T
    They may try to check but know it’s unlikely they will get a reference from such an organisation.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. If the reference company need something from you, they will explain this and you can provide other forms of confirmation (eg emails you received from the organisation or maybe a personal reference that can verify you did this activity) or the matter will just be signed off as a recent error was not obtainable. I don’t think this is an issue, especially if the organisation no longer exists.
    Thank you for the detailed response Jessica!!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.