Putting part-time work onto a legal CV

jam1999

Star Member
Feb 24, 2020
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any tips of how to frame part-time work in a way that demonstrates transferrable skills required for trainee lawyers?

I have worked in a bar/restaurant, a tutor company, a kids club in a hotel and done a lot of private client nannying. How can i link this to law?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
There are transferable skills in those types of jobs.

Time Management
Customer service
Communication skills
Problem solving
Escalating issues

to name just a few....

You don’t really need to describe that most of these jobs are. Too many people will write loads of self explanatory points which any person would be able to explain.

Instead focus on what you achieved in the role - were you given additional responsibilities, did you manage to implement something that made the job easier/more efficient, did you receive any awards/bonuses, did you hit targets etc.

If jobs were also balanced alongside studies, then it is important to state how many hours you did per week/month, even if it is an average. This allows your reader to understand what you were balancing alongside your studies - you’ll academics/extra curriculars will be looked upon more favourably if you balancing this alongside a part time job.

You don’t have to link these jobs to law though and you don’t have to claim the transferable skills - the worst thing on you can do on a CV is write something like “Developed communication skills by dealing with customers” - your reader is not stupid and will be able to infer the skills you have developed in 95% of cases.

jam1999

Star Member
Feb 24, 2020
@Jessica Booker thanks so much for the quick reply!
a quick question - should i put law networking events attended on my cv or is it pointless? if so - where should i put them? is it worth having an 'events' section / should they go in the same section as insidesherpa virtual internships?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker thanks so much for the quick reply!
a quick question - should i put law networking events attended on my cv or is it pointless? if so - where should i put them? is it worth having an 'events' section / should they go in the same section as insidesherpa virtual internships?

General networking events like law fairs/firm presentation events - I wouldn’t put on a CV.

Open days - you can put on an CV but typically not in work experience, usually in its own section along with things like conferences. You could include things like e-learning in there too.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.