Question that just occurred to me

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi guys,

Just a question that I thought of (not applicable for this cycle as I'm not making any more applications) but I wondered if you guys say in your applications that you got to an Assessment Centre (but were unsuccessful) at X firm?

If so, where do you mention it (I'd imagine work experience section) and how do you spin it to a positive?

Thanks and look forward to seeing your responses :)

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    I didn’t personally mention it in my applications, because it really isn't work experience. I can see why you'd want to show to law firms that you have been judged competent enough to make it to AC at other firms, but I think different firms look for different things, so I'm not sure how valuable that would be anyway. That's just my opinion though!

That said, I would bring it up at interviews - I did get questions about where else I had applied, so I would just mention it there.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hmm, good question. As Abstruser said, I'd only bring it up if they ask you where else you applied. If it's a recent interview, it's not actually necessary to say you were rejected, unless they ask you. You can just say you were interviewed at XYZ.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I didn’t personally mention it in my applications, because it really isn't work experience. I can see why you'd want to show to law firms that you have been judged competent enough to make it to AC at other firms, but I think different firms look for different things, so I'm not sure how valuable that would be anyway. That's just my opinion though!
    Hmm, good question. As Abstruser said, I'd only bring it up if they ask you where else you applied. If it's a recent interview, it's not actually necessary to say you were rejected, unless they ask you. You can just say you were interviewed at XYZ.
    That said, I would bring it up at interviews - I did get questions about where else I had applied, so I would just mention it there.

Only reason I ask is because at the Macfarlanes one, after my interview in the afternoon I shadowed an associate in investment funds for the rest of the day so was just curious if that was worth a mention but agree with both of you.

Reactions: Abstruser and v123

v123

Valued Member
    Jan 16, 2019
    Only reason I ask is because at the Macfarlanes one, after my interview in the afternoon I shadowed an associate in investment funds for the rest of the day so was just curious if that was worth a mention but agree with both of you.
    You could maybe discuss the shadowing part but not specifically mention the AC and could incorporate into your answers for questions on how you confirmed your interest in commercial/corporate work?

Mimi

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 21, 2018
    I agree with the above. Perhaps you can mention the shadowing in a similar section to where you may discuss open days and insight sessions but there is no need to discuss getting through to ACs elsewhere in the application. It might be a discussion point during interview but not in the application stage.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.