Reed smith commercial awareness question

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi Guys,

I am applying for the summer vac scheme at Reed Smith, the question is asking me "What current issues do you think have an impact on the legal profession? How will they impact and why?" Max 300 words

I decided to write about legal tech, iran sanctions and need to find a third topic. Since it is 300 words I am going to write 100 words for each topic. I wrote something for both topics but I am stuck on the why's part.

Could you advise me?

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
Sep 6, 2018
I'd be wary that if you do three your answer may come across quite brief. I found it hard enough structuring this exact question around 2 examples.

In term of legal tech , I would recommend picking a specific piece of legal tech rather than speaking in general terms as this will allow you to create a more tailored 'why' and makes it easy to highlight you've done some research. Some general advice I can think of with the 'why' legal tech would impact the legal profession would be the following: causes firms to shift strategy , invest in innovation , change workflow/priorities ( as more monotonous tasks become automated etc) and can even change legal concepts (take a look at the issues around smart contracts and how they would recreate contract law concepts like good faith.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Abstruser

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I'd be wary that if you do three your answer may come across quite brief. I found it hard enough structuring this exact question around 2 examples.

In term of legal tech , I would recommend picking a specific piece of legal tech rather than speaking in general terms as this will allow you to create a more tailored 'why' and makes it easy to highlight you've done some research. Some general advice I can think of with the 'why' legal tech would impact the legal profession would be the following: causes firms to shift strategy , invest in innovation , change workflow/priorities ( as more monotonous tasks become automated etc) and can even change legal concepts (take a look at the issues around smart contracts and how they would recreate contract law concepts like good faith.

Hope this helps.

Hi Oliver, thank you very much for your response.

I get your point and yes I will write about only two topics. I already wrote about legal tech and why it became part of the law firms' business model. In relation to your last point i agree that smart contract is a more specific topic compared to legal tech; however, I am trying to talk about something that has an impact on the entire legal industry. Do you get my point?

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
Sep 6, 2018

I get your point and yes I will write about only two topics. I already wrote about legal tech and why it became part of the law firms' business model. In relation to your last point i agree that smart contract is a more specific topic compared to legal tech; however, I am trying to talk about something that has an impact on the entire legal industry. Do you get my point?

I would argue smart contracts would impact the entire legal industry personally, considering how much legal work is underpinned by contracts etc and how this entire process can be streamlined through contracts becoming self executing.

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
Make sure you also relate it back to the firm and how it will impact them and their clients.

- Advice from their open day Wednesday.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.