Repeatedly rejected by the same firm - how to fix?

lawstudent12

Dec 28, 2021
I am interested in White & Case and I made a first year scheme application last year. I submitted an open day application this year (in my second year). I have been rejected both times. I am a law student and trying to figure out what's not quite right in my applications. The hardest thing about these rejections is not knowing whether it is worth continuing to make future applications to the firm because without any feedback, I am not sure what's not working at the moment. Whether the issue is fixable or not basically.

I was hoping to apply for a vacation scheme with the firm, but at this point I don't know if it is worth the attempt.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you! ☺😊

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I am interested in White & Case and I made a first year scheme application last year. I submitted an open day application this year (in my second year). I have been rejected both times. I am a law student and trying to figure out what's not quite right in my applications. The hardest thing about these rejections is not knowing whether it is worth continuing to make future applications to the firm because without any feedback, I am not sure what's not working at the moment. Whether the issue is fixable or not basically.

I was hoping to apply for a vacation scheme with the firm, but at this point I don't know if it is worth the attempt.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you! ☺😊
Hi @lawstudent12 I can appreciate how confusing it can be to make applications without knowing what may be contributing to a rejection. I would double-check the academic requirements- maybe there is a grade here or there that may be pulling down your overall application? And if you haven't already, I would get a second pair of eyes, whether it's someone from your careers service or within your friends/family, to look over your application. This will be really beneficial in understanding if you're conveying your motivations convincingly.

I would also keep in mind that sometimes even the best-made applications may get rejected because of space constraints, competition or a simple error here or there. If the application deadline is rolling, I'd recommend getting an application in as early as possible to reduce the impact of external factors on your application.

Wishing you the very best! Let us know how you get on!

Reactions: lawstudent12

lawstudent12

Dec 28, 2021
Received pfo for the 14 Nov open day a moment ago too.

But I remember putting 22 Nov as a second choice and from the wording of the rejection email I can't tell if it's a hard no for the 22 Nov one as well. Since White & Case is rolling for vs applications, I am also wondering if I should wait a bit longer to see if there's any chance of acceptance onto the second open day or just try to submit a vs appplication as soon as possible. 🤔
Oh yeah, I did the same. I would have assumed that if they were going to offer an open day for the second preference, they would have confirmed this in the email. :/ Perhaps worth checking though?

Have you made any previous applications to the firm? I don't know what I am doing wrong and if I can compensate for the stuff that isn't so good on my application or improve it in time for VS. They recruit on a rolling basis for vacation schemes so I don't have long anyway. What are you thinking of doing?

lawstudent12

Dec 28, 2021
Hi @lawstudent12 I can appreciate how confusing it can be to make applications without knowing what may be contributing to a rejection. I would double-check the academic requirements- maybe there is a grade here or there that may be pulling down your overall application? And if you haven't already, I would get a second pair of eyes, whether it's someone from your careers service or within your friends/family, to look over your application. This will be really beneficial in understanding if you're conveying your motivations convincingly.

I would also keep in mind that sometimes even the best-made applications may get rejected because of space constraints, competition or a simple error here or there. If the application deadline is rolling, I'd recommend getting an application in as early as possible to reduce the impact of external factors on your application.

Wishing you the very best! Let us know how you get on!
Thank you, Avni! Appreciate it.

I really wanted to apply to Hogan Lovells and White & Case because they represent clients in constitutional and administrative disputes and that's potentially an area of interest. In general I like the variety of the work at the firms. I think my academic profile is possibly quite weak and that could be why I am getting rejected. Although I have been successful at other firms so I am not sure if it's a case of White & Case placing greater emphasis on grades. It could be that my application on the whole was weaker - not sure.

Do you think it is worth applying to their vacation scheme anyway?

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Thank you, Avni! Appreciate it.

I really wanted to apply to Hogan Lovells and White & Case because they represent clients in constitutional and administrative disputes and that's potentially an area of interest. In general I like the variety of the work at the firms. I think my academic profile is possibly quite weak and that could be why I am getting rejected. Although I have been successful at other firms so I am not sure if it's a case of White & Case placing greater emphasis on grades. It could be that my application on the whole was weaker - not sure.

Do you think it is worth applying to their vacation scheme anyway?
I would apply for the vac scheme but also run it through an application review, either at your uni careers service or you could consider TCLA's service as well, so that you have more clarity on whether it's your grades or the quality of your application answers that could be pulling your application down. Remember to list any mitigating circumstances for academic performance if you have them!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.