Kirkland open day rejection - advice for vacation scheme?

l789

Aug 19, 2020
Unfortunately I was rejected for Kirkland’s open day yesterday despite what I felt was a pretty strong application and despite being accepted by two other US firms for their open day.

Can anyone advise me on whether I should proceed with a vac scheme application in September, as I really don’t want to waste hours on an app that will be rejected

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
quick question - were the other two first year opportunities on your application (eg did you secure them before you applied to Kirkland)?

l789

Aug 19, 2020
Hi Jessica,

Yes I did secure them and attend them- both in December and January, I applied to Kirkland in Feb. However I did not put this on the application to Kirkland, purely because I couldn’t find the space. I filled out all information, work experience( limited to 6 entries- however I included an insight scheme at Weil) and the application question.

There was no option for additional information. I did look to see, as I wanted to list my in person open days and also virtual ones.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It could be a couple of things then:

1) They may feel you wouldn't benefit from the open day if you have significant legal experience already (depending on what your work experience entries you did include were). Sometimes open days are offered as a way to build up people's experience or allocated to those who will most benefit from attending, and it may have been the case that they felt you didn't need the open day.

or the complete opposite and

2) As you didn't include the other open days with other US firms they may have felt your interests were not as well aligned to the firm.

Either way, I wouldn't let this stop you from applying from the firm again. But I would definitely include the other open days next time if/when you do apply to the VS.

Not all US firms will be looking for the same things though, and so it maybe that Kirkland just was looking for something different in applicants to the two other US firms you have secured opportunities with.

Reactions: axelbeugre

l789

Aug 19, 2020
Thank you Jessica for your feedback!

I think I will try and not take the rejection to heart, although it now leaves me with more chasing up to do. I find open days invaluable for gaining insights and feel so grateful to have been accepted to the ones I have so far, it really helps me build a final and concrete understanding of the firm. I take a big A4 notebook to these open days and events and end up with minimum 10pages of information.

I will definitely take both your points on board and with regards to any future applications, be sure to list my previous open days, and insight schemes.

Thank you for your advice! :)

l789

Aug 19, 2020
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica,
I hope you are well. I took your advice and applied to another law firm open day (US finance heavy) this was cv only and therefore I made sure I put my previous open day events. I have work experience in a silver circle law firm(albeit one day) a two day insight scheme at a U.S firm, and my retail jobs, debating teacher, and refugee tutor- alongside my extracurriculars. I also wrote a short (300word cover letter) in the email expressing my interest.

Unfortunately I was rejected again. I’m super disappointed in myself and am at a loss tbh. This was the email

It will come as no surprise to you to learn that the open day has proven to be popular and unfortunately, on this occasion, we have been unable to allocate you a place.

Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at xxxxx xxxx and please do keep an eye on our vacation scheme applications, opening December 1, 2024.

I am applying to other firms and have shortlisted 20, I also felt quite confident in myself as a candidate and therefore I have been somewhat ambitious, but realistic with my choices. What would be your advice be to me?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica,
I hope you are well. I took your advice and applied to another law firm open day (US finance heavy) this was cv only and therefore I made sure I put my previous open day events. I have work experience in a silver circle law firm(albeit one day) a two day insight scheme at a U.S firm, and my retail jobs, debating teacher, and refugee tutor- alongside my extracurriculars. I also wrote a short (300word cover letter) in the email expressing my interest.

Unfortunately I was rejected again. I’m super disappointed in myself and am at a loss tbh. This was the email

It will come as no surprise to you to learn that the open day has proven to be popular and unfortunately, on this occasion, we have been unable to allocate you a place.

Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at xxxxx xxxx and please do keep an eye on our vacation scheme applications, opening December 1, 2024.

I am applying to other firms and have shortlisted 20, I also felt quite confident in myself as a candidate and therefore I have been somewhat ambitious, but realistic with my choices. What would be your advice be to me?
Just keep applying. The firm has encouraged you to do so for their future programmes, so I would take their advice and apply to them again in the future.

The open day would have been limited in spaces and they couldn’t offer everyone - they may have felt you wouldn’t benefit as much when compared to other applicants from attending the open day given your experience.

Rejections will be something pretty much all candidates will experience, and especially those applying to very competitive firms. Don't take it too personally - just keep plugging away at it.

l789

Aug 19, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to reply Jessica. Your response has been very encouraging!

It’s been bittersweet as I’ve really worked on my confidence and trying to push myself acadmecially and personally, so when I started getting invitations and acceptances to open days in semester 1, I was over the moon, however semester 2 has been disappointing.

I will keep pushing though and hope to come back with some good news :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.