Applying to the same firm again

awro

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2023
Hi guys!

I was rejected after the video interview stage at Bristows last year and I'm struggling to decide whether I should keep certain aspects of last year's application since it was accepted (not copying it in whole of course), or whether it would be best to discuss different things this time? Would a firm compare both applications?

Thanks!

A.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys!

I was rejected after the video interview stage at Bristows last year and I'm struggling to decide whether I should keep certain aspects of last year's application since it was accepted (not copying it in whole of course), or whether it would be best to discuss different things this time? Would a firm compare both applications?

Thanks!

A.
Depending on the firm’s data policy, they could potentially compare applications. However, most firms retention policy will only be 6-12 months after the hiring process concludes (at its longest - it may actually be shorter than this.

But it isn’t always necessary for them to review past applications. They can look for recent evidence (eg recent work experience, updated application answers which evidence more recent events) to see whether a candidate has recent factors that have influenced their application. It is always best to update, refine and critically evaluate your application. You can’t rely on your application being shortlisted just because it was last time.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.