Re-applying to a law firm (in tricky circumstances)

F19

Sep 7, 2021
Hi all,

I accepted a direct TC offer last spring at a City law firm, and (in line with SRA good practice) withdrew from an upcoming vacation scheme with a U.S. firm. However, I have had some major wobbles with my decision since: particularly as my practice area interests have changed significantly during my LLM, and are now far better suited to the U.S. outfit than the City firm I opted for last year.

I know this is a long-shot, but would there be any chance that the U.S. firm would consider a second vac scheme application from me? Given my prior withdrawal, my gut instinct is that any application would automatically be discarded - but any thoughts/perspectives on this point would be really helpful.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think they will consider you, but you just may need to be prepared to explain your circumstances.

It’s not really that you withdrew that could be the issue, more that you have accepted a TC elsewhere.

F19

Sep 7, 2021
I think they will consider you, but you just may need to be prepared to explain your circumstances.

It’s not really that you withdrew that could be the issue, more that you have accepted a TC elsewhere.
Thank you for your response Jessica! This did cross my mind, as I informed the U.S. firm that I had accepted a TC offer elsewhere when withdrawing (and so imagine re-applying now may raise eyebrows from that perspective).

Practically speaking, would there be any likelihood of grad recruitment at the U.S. firm getting in touch with the City firm, to inform them of any second application received from me - or is this a bit far-fetched?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for your response Jessica! This did cross my mind, as I informed the U.S. firm that I had accepted a TC offer elsewhere when withdrawing (and so imagine re-applying now may raise eyebrows from that perspective).

Practically speaking, would there be any likelihood of grad recruitment at the U.S. firm getting in touch with the City firm, to inform them of any second application received from me - or is this a bit far-fetched?
they can’t do that without your permission (basic data protection). But they can ask you directly about your circumstances, and in that situation you’d need to be honest and upfront as to what is going on.

Be mindful if you have taken any financial support from your current firm it’s likely you’ll need to pay that back, and that you may not get the same support back from the US firm.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.