Scared to apply to TC

Natasha82

Sep 13, 2022
Hi,

So I am new on this forum. I just thought I come on here and share how I am feeling at the moment.

I genuinely am scared of applying to Training Contract's in fear of rejection and not getting anywhere. But more so afraid of that I am not clever enough and lack confidence. I am a shy, keep to myself person and when I see people who have done amazing, confident and know that what they want to be rejected from TC's it makes me feel like what chance I stand.

I have done my law degree, I have been part of law society, pro-bono works, work experiences and then went on to do my LPC which I completed in 2020. Ever since I have been working in a law firm as paralegal. So I do have good experience. But I have never attempted to start a TC application because of the lack of confidence I have. Even when I interview for Paralegal roles, I am rejected because of how nervous I get and don't know how to structure my answers and deliver them with confidence.

I know this is so silly that I have given up way before I have started. I really want to change this now, I don't want to be a paralegal for the foreseeable time, I am craving to grow and expand. I want to achieve a stable career for myself and be able to gain knowledge. I just don't know where to start.

The application process is so overwhelming.

I just want to know if there is someone else out there who has felt the same or is feeling the same?

I just feel like everyone around me are moving on and I am stuck where I am.

I am sorry for my post being like this, I really needed to write it out and share what is going on inside and to push myself forward.

• 🤝
Reactions: tc_hopeful and Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think a lot of our community feel the same on some level.

And don’t feel the need to apologise for your post - this is exactly why we are here, to provide you with support, advice and encouragement whilst letting you hear other people’s similar stories/experiences.

A couple of points to mention based on what you have said:

Being confident and amazing doesn’t get you a TC - there’s a lot more qualities that a recruiter is looking for. I suspect you have this qualities, you are just fixating on the ones you don’t think you have as being the important ones that lead to success.

You say you even get rejected from paralegal jobs. But you are in a paralegal job now - you couldn’t have been rejected from that one! Try to recognise your successes - clearly your current role is just one of them!

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
Hi,

So I am new on this forum. I just thought I come on here and share how I am feeling at the moment.

I genuinely am scared of applying to Training Contract's in fear of rejection and not getting anywhere. But more so afraid of that I am not clever enough and lack confidence. I am a shy, keep to myself person and when I see people who have done amazing, confident and know that what they want to be rejected from TC's it makes me feel like what chance I stand.

I have done my law degree, I have been part of law society, pro-bono works, work experiences and then went on to do my LPC which I completed in 2020. Ever since I have been working in a law firm as paralegal. So I do have good experience. But I have never attempted to start a TC application because of the lack of confidence I have. Even when I interview for Paralegal roles, I am rejected because of how nervous I get and don't know how to structure my answers and deliver them with confidence.

I know this is so silly that I have given up way before I have started. I really want to change this now, I don't want to be a paralegal for the foreseeable time, I am craving to grow and expand. I want to achieve a stable career for myself and be able to gain knowledge. I just don't know where to start.

I just want to know if there is someone else out there who has felt the same or is feeling the same?

I am sorry for my post being like this, I really needed to write it out and share what is going on inside and to push myself forward.
Hi Natasha! I was in a very similar position (and felt a very similar way to you) when I started applying to TCs bar doing the LPC. I would really recommend building your confidence by pushing yourself out of your comfort zone by doing something you would normally be scared to do and trying to do that on a regular basis, your confidence will improve. Fake it until you make it, then soon you will realise you built your confidence!

I am sure every applicant has felt the same way comparing themselves to others, but a lot of applicants including myself just learned the skills necessary to succeed at every stage of the application process - how to write good applications, practiced WG's, got to know what is expected from AC's.

I would recommend getting the premium membership on TCLA - it helped me a lot to see the standard of applications necessary to be moved onto the next stage, I also did a mock interview with TCLA which gave me a lot of necessary feedback.

Best of luck :)

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi,

It's completely normal to compare 100% of yourself, warts and all, to the amazing 10% of someone else that you see and experience, but letting this hold you back can be a missed opportunity. Your background is so impressive and you've clearly taken the initiative to explore and demonstrate your interest in commercial law. You already have everything that it takes you to bag a TC- the tricky part is embodying this and believing it.

Your confidence in yourself is a by product of the effort you put into things around being a solicitor. So if you feel your commercial awareness is lacking, read at least one business news story every day and analyse the commercial and legal issues discussed in it. If you feel your ability to structure answers can be improved, practice your speaking skills (I've made a post on this here). If you feel your application answers could be written better, get them reviewed by a colleague/friend/family/TCLA and evaluate what's working and isn't.

Wishing you the very best- you've SO got this!

kr253

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2021
Hi,

Hi Natasha, your post really resonates with me, especially the shyness - I am super introverted and really struggle to put myself out there, especially in in-person situations (online seems to be a bit easier for me).

Clearly, as you said, you have fantastic experience and it sounds like you would be a huge asset to a firm as a trainee!

I would say that joining TCLA and putting yourself out there by writing this post is a great start!

In terms of interviews, do you have close friends or family you could practice interviews with? Or maybe a careers service from when you did your LPC? If that would be too much, what about recording yourself and watching yourself back?

Wishing you the best of luck!

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.