Self-funding the LPC (bad time to do so?)

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
Hi guys, I just finished my final year of my LLB at a London Russell Group and don't have a TC lined up for once I graduate. I was focused on other careers during the LLB, and only decided I wanted to pursue commercial law in my final year, so I don't feel massively familiar with applications to law firms and feel like I'm missing lots of what my peers picked up when they began applying in first year. I applied to a couple vacation schemes in this year's cycle but did not progress past application stage. Though I will be applying for some of the TCs that are open, I'm aware that my chances are probably slim because I lack any legal work experience.

I'm now considering applying for and self-funding the LPC, as I'm still eligible to do so because of when I started my degree. My other option was to find legal work experience as I continue to apply for winter VS/TCs in the upcoming cycle, but this obviously has the disadvantage of uncertainty and I will have lost a year if things don't work out. At least if I'm studying the LPC, I will be able to get a clearer idea of what work in practice looks like and take advantage of the careers service. Disadvantage of studying the LPC is obviously the fees and sustaining the living costs of another year in London. I'm not keen to self-fund the SQE simply because it's so new and because I still have the LPC option.

My main questions are the following:
1. Is it a bad time to self-fund the LPC when it's being phased out and many law firms will be using the SQE for their newer cohorts? Particularly as some firms may require the SQE2 to be taken even with the LPC?

2. Has anyone been in a similar position and taken the leap to self-fund? Would you say it was the best decision to help secure a TC?

3. Alternatively has anyone spent time post-graduation seeking out new work experience? Paralegal work is pretty much off the table for me with my lack of legal work experience, so I would be looking more at in-house legal intern positions [edit: currently trying for paralegal positions that might not be looking for much experience!]

I'd really appreciate any advice or anecdotes about my situation - I'm pretty anxious about how uncertain the future looks but am trying to stay positive so anything will help! Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi guys, I just finished my final year of my LLB at a London Russell Group and don't have a TC lined up for once I graduate. I was focused on other careers during the LLB, and only decided I wanted to pursue commercial law in my final year, so I don't feel massively familiar with applications to law firms and feel like I'm missing lots of what my peers picked up when they began applying in first year. I applied to a couple vacation schemes in this year's cycle but did not progress past application stage. Though I will be applying for some of the TCs that are open, I'm aware that my chances are probably slim because I lack any legal work experience.

I'm now considering applying for and self-funding the LPC, as I'm still eligible to do so because of when I started my degree. My other option was to find legal work experience as I continue to apply for winter VS/TCs in the upcoming cycle, but this obviously has the disadvantage of uncertainty and I will have lost a year if things don't work out. At least if I'm studying the LPC, I will be able to get a clearer idea of what work in practice looks like and take advantage of the careers service. Disadvantage of studying the LPC is obviously the fees and sustaining the living costs of another year in London. I'm not keen to self-fund the SQE simply because it's so new and because I still have the LPC option.

1. Is it a bad time to self-fund the LPC when it's being phased out and many law firms will be using the SQE for their newer cohorts? Particularly as some firms may require the SQE2 to be taken even with the LPC?

2. Has anyone been in a similar position and taken the leap to self-fund? Would you say it was the best decision to help secure a TC?

3. Alternatively has anyone spent time post-graduation seeking out new work experience? Paralegal work is pretty much off the table for me with my lack of legal work experience, so I would be looking more at in-house legal intern positions [edit: currently trying for paralegal positions that might not be looking for much experience!]

I'd really appreciate any advice or anecdotes about my situation - I'm pretty anxious about how uncertain the future looks but am trying to stay positive so anything will help! Thanks in advance :)
Hi @samni,

Thank you for posting this question and contextualising it so thoroughly. I think that @Jessica Booker is the person to speak with about the merits of funding the LPC vs. SQE, so I will leave that to her when she has time (as she is currently away on holiday with limited time spent on TCLA).

My contribution concerns 3. and paralegal work. Although I have never applied for a paralegal position, I was advised when I was considering it that prior experience is generally a bonus and is generally not expected. This obviously depends on the firm/company, but I see no reason why paralegal work should be regarded as 'off the table' for you! Jess may also have some insights about this too though.

Very happy to help with any follow-ups you might have @samni!

Reactions: samni

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
@samni regarding your third point, not all paralegal positions require experience.

I have just secured one now at Rosling King with ZERO prior legal work experience. I literally reached out to them by sending my CV over and asked them to get back in touch if they were interested.

My recommendation is to get in touch with a few recruiters (SSQ and Taylor Root are two of the biggest names in legal recruitment). Send over your CV and explain to them on the phone (preferably over email so they form the human connection and feel more obliged to look out for opportunities of interest for you) exactly what you are looking for roles-wise. Let them do the work in finding paralegal positions and in-house positions that do not require prior legal experience.

I finished the LPC end of 21 and I have literally spent this year focusing on TC/VS apps while putting others to work to find me legal work experience in the interim. It was a random contact who actually prompted me to apply to Rosling King some time last month. I have since applied and got the position and will be starting next week.

Hus95

Star Member
May 29, 2022

Hi @samni

Im also considering self funding the LPC and would be interested in hearing @Jessica Booker opinion. The LPC route is still going to remain in place until 2032, and I remember reading that a number of law firms will not require the SQE1 exam to be completed if youve already done the LPC. I think SQE2 would but whether a firm will sponsor that I am not sure...

It would appear to me that firms are going to want people to do their period of training with them under the SQE, similar to a training contract. In that regard doing the LPC would allow you to apply for TC's whilst theyre still around and also let you apply for the new SQE qualification pathway. But thats just my opinion and someone with actual industry knowledge like Jessica might need to correct me.

in terms of paralegal roles, when I graduated, I had zero legal work experience. My first legal job was a legal helpline advisor for the firm i work for now. many people didnt have any legal work experience either. Granted this was a phone based role and I had prior call centre experience. nevertheless I didnt have any internships at all.

I left that job for an in house commercial litigation role, as an agency worker. This was through a recruitment agency. The quality of the work itself wasnt great (more admin than hands on litigation work), but it helped me get the role im in now, which is back at the Firm I left. I work in PI so it can vary for departments but there are quite a few para's who didnt have prior work experience, some dont even have a law degree! Nevertheless It's still quite hands on, I draft witness statements and instructions for counsel etc.

Ultimately I would reccomend reaching out to legal recruitment agencies and possibly looking at legal assistant roles as well. Granted I havent had a role in a commercial department, but I would say from personal experience once you get that first role, it gets a lot easier and sometimes recruitment agencies can help. sending a speculative application to local smaller firms may be worth trying. I know someone who secured a paralegal role doing that. I think the best but of advice I can give you is if you have any prior work experience try and relate the transferable skills gained to the role youre applying for. That can help negate not having legal work experience.

Hope that helps and best of luck!

Last edited:

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
@samni regarding your third point, not all paralegal positions require experience.

I have just secured one now at Rosling King with ZERO prior legal work experience. I literally reached out to them by sending my CV over and asked them to get back in touch if they were interested.

My recommendation is to get in touch with a few recruiters (SSQ and Taylor Root are two of the biggest names in legal recruitment). Send over your CV and explain to them on the phone (preferably over email so they form the human connection and feel more obliged to look out for opportunities of interest for you) exactly what you are looking for roles-wise. Let them do the work in finding paralegal positions and in-house positions that do not require prior legal experience.

I finished the LPC end of 21 and I have literally spent this year focusing on TC/VS apps while putting others to work to find me legal work experience in the interim. It was a random contact who actually prompted me to apply to Rosling King some time last month. I have since applied and got the position and will be starting next week.

Hi @samni

Im also considering self funding the LPC and would be interested in hearing @Jessica Booker opinion. The LPC route is still going to remain in place until 2032, and I remember reading that a number of law firms will not require the SQE1 exam to be completed if youve already done the LPC. I think SQE2 would but whether a firm will sponsor that I am not sure...

It would appear to me that firms are going to want people to do their period of training with them under the SQE, similar to a training contract. In that regard doing the LPC would allow you to apply for TC's whilst theyre still around and also let you apply for the new SQE qualification pathway. But thats just my opinion and someone with actual industry knowledge like Jessica might need to correct me.

in terms of paralegal roles, when I graduated, I had zero legal work experience. My first legal job was a legal helpline advisor for the firm i work for now. many people didnt have any legal work experience either. Granted this was a phone based role and I had prior call centre experience. nevertheless I didnt have any internships at all.

I left that job for an in house commercial litigation role, as an agency worker. This was through a recruitment agency. The quality of the work itself wasnt great (more admin than hands on litigation work), but it helped me get the role im in now, which is back at the Firm I left. I work in PI so it can vary for departments but there are quite a few para's who didnt have prior work experience, some dont even have a law degree! Nevertheless It's still quite hands on, I draft witness statements and instructions for counsel etc.

Ultimately I would reccomend reaching out to legal recruitment agencies and possibly looking at legal assistant roles as well. Granted I havent had a role in a commercial department, but I would say from personal experience once you get that first role, it gets a lot easier and sometimes recruitment agencies can help. sending a speculative application to local smaller firms may be worth trying. I know someone who secured a paralegal role doing that. I think the best but of advice I can give you is if you have any prior work experience try and relate the transferable skills gained to the role youre applying for. That can help negate not having legal work experience.

Really helpful insights @Hus95 and @NaimK!

I hope that helped quell some of your concerns @samni. I am sure that Jess will get back to you as soon as she can 🚀

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020

Thanks so much for your answer @NaimK! I've actually now been in contact with a few agencies (LOD and Law Support) so hopefully will be able to secure some experience via them, and have applied to the others you've mentioned. I've mentioned to Law Support that I'm keen to ease in with some temp work and then would be looking for a FTC.

Just wondering if you were in contact with several agencies at once and this didn't prove a problem/is expected?

Last edited:
Reactions: NaimK

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
Hi @samni

Thanks a lot @Hus95, this is reassuring to hear! Will keep my eyes peeled for legal assistant work too

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
At any other time, I would sit on the fence about self-funding the LPC. My view used to be it was a very personal decision each individual had to weigh up their own circumstances and that there was no right or wrong answer to this.

However, the SQE makes this a very different situation.

Personally, I wouldn't commit to the LPC now unless you are expecting to start a TC in 2023 (e.g. you are mainly applying to firms who recruit one year in advance). If you think you will start a TC in 2024 or 2025, then the reality is you will be on the SQE path. Passing the LPC will give you an automatic exemption of SQE1 (that is decided by the SRA, firms have no choice on the matter) but that is probably the most expensive and time-consuming way to get past the SQE1. I very much suspect that firms that used to offer LPC fee/maintenance grant refunds will no longer apply the same logic when they move people to the SQE as well.

I have heard a few mumblings about the LPC being seen as more prestigious by law firms and therefore preferred, but in all honesty, the LPC was never seen as prestigious. It was just a mandatory course that had to be completed. Although firms have concerns about the SQE and how prepared their future trainees will be taking this course over the LPC, they won't have a heavy preference for those doing the LPC, especially when the vast majority of their talent pipeline will only be eligible to do the SQE path from 2024 onwards.

The LPC might help with firms who recruit 1-2 trainees each year, and may still help for paralegal type work - but even then I think it's a very costly (time and money) route to take for something that is effectively dying out. People can qualify using the LPC route until 2032, but the reality is that beyond 2025 very few people will be doing so. Firms benefit massively from moving to the SQE - they are no longer regulated, they have to make fewer commitments, so although they may be concerned about the quality of the training, they know it is much more commercially viable to move to the SQE route.

Whatever the decision though, I'd personally not commit to the LPC until later on this summer. There is never any need to sign up early. Providers are horrendous at getting you to commit super early to the course, often pushing people to sign up as soon as possible, and then once you have signed the dotted line, you are committed to a hefty deposit/course fee that you will never get back. Unless you are getting a significant discount (e.g. over 20%) by signing up early, wait until August and then make a decision of whether to commit to the course or not. I think this is especially important if you are making applications this summer - see how those applications go first before committing to any course.

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
At any other time, I would sit on the fence about self-funding the LPC. My view used to be it was a very personal decision each individual had to weigh up their own circumstances and that there was no right or wrong answer to this.

Personally, I wouldn't commit to the LPC now unless you are expecting to start a TC in 2023 (e.g. you are mainly applying to firms who recruit one year in advance). If you think you will start a TC in 2024 or 2025, then the reality is you will be on the SQE path. Passing the LPC will give you an automatic exemption of SQE1 (that is decided by the SRA, firms have no choice on the matter) but that is probably the most expensive and time-consuming way to get past the SQE1. I very much suspect that firms that used to offer LPC fee/maintenance grant refunds will no longer apply the same logic when they move people to the SQE as well.

I have heard a few mumblings about the LPC being seen as more prestigious by law firms and therefore preferred, but in all honesty, the LPC was never seen as prestigious. It was just a mandatory course that had to be completed. Although firms have concerns about the SQE and how prepared their future trainees will be taking this course over the LPC, they won't have a heavy preference for those doing the LPC, especially when the vast majority of their talent pipeline will only be eligible to do the SQE path from 2024 onwards.

The LPC might help with firms who recruit 1-2 trainees each year, and may still help for paralegal type work - but even then I think it's a very costly (time and money) route to take for something that is effectively dying out. People can qualify using the LPC route until 2032, but the reality is that beyond 2025 very few people will be doing so. Firms benefit massively from moving to the SQE - they are no longer regulated, they have to make fewer commitments, so although they may be concerned about the quality of the training, they know it is much more commercially viable to move to the SQE route.

Whatever the decision though, I'd personally not commit to the LPC until later on this summer. There is never any need to sign up early. Providers are horrendous at getting you to commit super early to the course, often pushing people to sign up as soon as possible, and then once you have signed the dotted line, you are committed to a hefty deposit/course fee that you will never get back. Unless you are getting a significant discount (e.g. over 20%) by signing up early, wait until August and then make a decision of whether to commit to the course or not. I think this is especially important if you are making applications this summer - see how those applications go first before committing to any course.
Thank you @Jessica Booker, this is really helpful! Having considered this, I'm leaning against self-funding and am hoping to get some work down the paralegal route prior to applying to TCs.

Just also wondering if there are a number of firms who recruit one year in advance? I think some firms have mentioned they could allow an earlier start from events I've been to, but didn't know there were any which recruited specifically one year in advance. A 2025 start from the next cycle would give me a 2 year post-degree gap which I'd be keen to shorten, so I'd be interested in hearing about this

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you @Jessica Booker, this is really helpful! Having considered this, I'm leaning against self-funding and am hoping to get some work down the paralegal route prior to applying to TCs.

Just also wondering if there are a number of firms who recruit one year in advance? I think some firms have mentioned they could allow an earlier start from events I've been to, but didn't know there were any which recruited specifically one year in advance. A 2025 start from the next cycle would give me a 2 year post-degree gap which I'd be keen to shorten, so I'd be interested in hearing about this
Lawcareers.net used to have a helpful filtering system where you could check vacancies by the year the TC started. However, either they don't have any 2023 vacancies listed or their filters aren't working, and so it is just showing up all the firms on their database. Unfortunately I don't know of any other centralised systems that would identify firms recruiting for 2023. Generally though, they are firms that don't sponsor the LPC/SQE - because they don't sponsor, there is no need for them to recruit 2-3 years in advance, they tend to recruit only 1 year in advance and target people who have started/completed the LPC.

Hus95

Star Member
May 29, 2022
Tha

thank you for the insight @Jessica Booker. ive also applied early to the lpc part time from January and now im thinking i should have waited.

it was always my idea to defer until september 2023 after doing an application round , but got talked into applying early although i have not confirmed it yet...

Hus95

Star Member
May 29, 2022
Thanks a lot @Hus95, this is reassuring to hear! Will keep my eyes peeled for legal assistant work too
youre welcome!

Apologies for the long post, I was trying to make the point that you can progress on to better roles after getting the first one.

definitely apply for any relevant positions even if they say they prefer the lpc and reach out to agencies. a lot of people dont have legal work experience once theyve graduated so dont worry too much

• 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell and samni

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Tha

thank you for the insight @Jessica Booker. ive also applied early to the lpc part time from January and now im thinking i should have waited.

it was always my idea to defer until september 2023 after doing an application round , but got talked into applying early although i have not confirmed it yet...
Especially if you are thinking of doing it part-time, then my advice would be to ask to move to an SQE prep course rather than the LPC if your provider is making you commit to anything. By the time you finished a part-time LPC it would be 2025, and I would expect very few firms/organisations to be recruiting LPC trainees. You'll get the exemption for SQE1, but nearly 2 years of part-time studying + the costs makes this such a significant time and financial cost. If you are studying part-time, then the SQE gives you so much more flexibility.

Reactions: Hus95

Hus95

Star Member
May 29, 2022
Especially if you are thinking of doing it part-time, then my advice would be to ask to move to an SQE prep course rather than the LPC if your provider is making you commit to anything. By the time you finished a part-time LPC it would be 2025, and I would expect very few firms/organisations to be recruiting LPC trainees. You'll get the exemption for SQE1, but nearly 2 years of part-time studying + the costs makes this such a significant time and financial cost. If you are studying part-time, then the SQE gives you so much more flexibility.
Thanks i will have to think about it. my main reason for going for the LPC was to open up the opportunity to apply to smaller firms that want you to have the lpc.

but i suppose in s few years theyll want you to have the SQE so is there any point doing the LPC like you said.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks i will have to think about it. my main reason for going for the LPC was to open up the opportunity to apply to smaller firms that want you to have the lpc.

but i suppose in s few years theyll want you to have the SQE so is there any point doing the LPC like you said.
If you were doing it full-time, then I think there is probably more rationale to squeeze it in.

Many smaller firms are realising that the SQE gives them greater flexibility (e.g. they don't need a training principal nor report to the SRA anymore) and so although they may have had a preference for the LPC, I think they are quickly realising the benefits of moving to the SQE. It is probably worthwhile trying to speak to the firms you are considering though and get their thoughts on it.

Reactions: Hus95

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
Lawcareers.net used to have a helpful filtering system where you could check vacancies by the year the TC started. However, either they don't have any 2023 vacancies listed or their filters aren't working, and so it is just showing up all the firms on their database. Unfortunately I don't know of any other centralised systems that would identify firms recruiting for 2023. Generally though, they are firms that don't sponsor the LPC/SQE - because they don't sponsor, there is no need for them to recruit 2-3 years in advance, they tend to recruit only 1 year in advance and target people who have started/completed the LPC.
Thank you for explaining this, Jessica! I'd need the LPC/SQE to be funded so probably not the firms I'd be able to look at then

• 🤝
Reactions: George Maxwell

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
Thanks so much for your answer @NaimK! I've actually now been in contact with a few agencies (LOD and Law Support) so hopefully will be able to secure some experience via them, and have applied to the others you've mentioned. I've mentioned to Law Support that I'm keen to ease in with some temp work and then would be looking for a FTC.

Just wondering if you were in contact with several agencies at once and this didn't prove a problem/is expected?

Yes, recruiters will likely expect that you are dealing with other recruiters - it's not a big deal at all. Just be wary of which roles you are being submitted for by which agencies so there's no crossover i.e. you can't get two different recruiters to put you through to the same role. The more agencies you get in touch with the better tbh. It's a numbers game. Different agencies will also be instructed on exclusive roles through their unique client-base so you want to have access to as many positions as possible.

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
Yes, recruiters will likely expect that you are dealing with other recruiters - it's not a big deal at all. Just be wary of which roles you are being submitted for by which agencies so there's no crossover i.e. you can't get two different recruiters to put you through to the same role. The more agencies you get in touch with the better tbh. It's a numbers game. Different agencies will also be instructed on exclusive roles through their unique client-base so you want to have access to as many positions as possible.
Thank you @NaimK, really appreciate your answers!

trinerin

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2022
Hi Jessica and those of you who have contributed to the thread,

It's been really helpful to read each of your contributions - thank you!
Jessica, I was wondering if you knew if there was a TCLA list or resource which identifies which firms specifically offer Training Contracts to LPC graduates? Or alternatively, if you know an external site which would potentially have this information?

Many thanks!
Trinity

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.