Should I drop an email to grad rec after adding supplementary information to previous VS applications?

lawgrad123445

Standard Member
Jun 18, 2020
So I decided to add supplementary information to a few of my pending VS applications with a confirmed VS offer in Spring. Am aware that there is probably no tangible benefit given I haven't actually completed the VS but should I email grad rec to let them know or does the system (apply4law) notify grad rec of any changes to the application? Thank you.

Reactions: George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
So I decided to add supplementary information to a few of my pending VS applications with a confirmed VS offer in Spring. Am aware that there is probably no tangible benefit given I haven't actually completed the VS but should I email grad rec to let them know or does the system (apply4law) notify grad rec of any changes to the application? Thank you.
Hey @httann,

Congratulations on getting a spring vacation scheme offer already this cycle!

I will tag @Jessica Booker for her insights into apply4law and other thoughts on this.

Personally I always tried to keep the firms that I was applying to in the loop with my applications (i.e., if there were any big changes).

For example, I would have emailed had I obtained a spring vacation scheme with firm X when I had also applied to firm Y's spring vacation scheme (as this might give rise to a clash). If it were me, after updating my profile on apply4law, I would email graduate recruitment directly to notify them of the change. I don't think telling a firm that you have obtained another vacation scheme would hurt, but Jess might disagree!

Please do let me know if I can help any further!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey @httann,

Congratulations on getting a spring vacation scheme offer already this cycle!

I will tag @Jessica Booker for her insights into apply4law and other thoughts on this.

Personally I always tried to keep the firms that I was applying to in the loop with my applications (i.e., if there were any big changes).

For example, I would have emailed had I obtained a spring vacation scheme with firm X when I had also applied to firm Y's spring vacation scheme (as this might give rise to a clash). If it were me, after updating my profile on apply4law, I would email graduate recruitment directly to notify them of the change. I don't think telling a firm that you have obtained another vacation scheme would hurt, but Jess might disagree!

Please do let me know if I can help any further!
To me, it depends on what stage you are at.

If you are interviewing, then update firms. If you are still only at the application stage, my personal view is not to email GR to let them know of any updates - these updates alone across thousands of applicants would keep GR busy beyond belief.

If you can update platforms like Apply4Law yourself, then update the system at that end. The system will update at their end too (its a live process). There would be no need to tell them really because they will see the updated info as and when they look at your application.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.