Skadden Telephone Interview

Laura T

May 30, 2019
Hey! Just wondering what the questions were broadly surrounding?
Yes of course! I'd say that it was really focused on your application, nothing too difficult. For example, he asked me about my degree choice and why I am now pursuing commercial law. He asked me a bit about my work experience, and skills/hobbies. And then there was why Skadden and tell me about a commercial news story :)

NourJ

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jan 1, 2020
Yes don't stress about it too much! Like you I had my first formal interview about two weeks ago and it also didn't go great. I think when you're just starting out it's really the nerves that can get in your way. Now I'm just reminding myself that even if it doesn't work out, you always learn something from it and you will do better next time :)

But as to your question, mine was exactly 20 min (I tend to keep talking when I'm nervous so it could also be because of that haha).

Thank you so much!! you're right I should just take it as a learning experience. I'm just sad cause I had so much to say but I was afraid of talking too much and I was also too nervous that I ended up answering pretty short answers that didn't really reflect what I wanted to say. But I'm gonna stay optimistic.

Good luck with the rest and if you have any other pending applications!!

• 🏆
Reactions: Laura T

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Best of luck!! Trying to keep a positive mindset! How long did your interview last? cause mine only lasted 13 mins so Im worried that he cut it short...

I think the length of the interview depends on how long your answers were. It won't suggest how well or how bad you did.

For example, a 13 min interview with concise answers is better than a 21 min interview with waffle!

Of course a 21 min interview without waffle is possible, but I hope you understand my point.

Best of luck :)

• 🤝
Reactions: NourJ

NourJ

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jan 1, 2020
I think the length of the interview depends on how long your answers were. It won't suggest how well or how bad you did.

For example, a 13 min interview with concise answers is better than a 21 min interview with waffle!

Of course a 21 min interview without waffle is possible, but I hope you understand my point.

Best of luck :)

Thank you so much Holly for all your reassurance :) If I don't get it, then its simply just not meant to be. Good luck to you too with your apps <3

• 🤝
Reactions: Holly

NourJ

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jan 1, 2020
So I assume that if the final round is tomorrow then those who're still waiting will be rejected on Monday?

Probably! Unless after the first round of ACs, they might host a second-round in case they still had spaces to fill or if tomorrow's interviews were not satisfactory.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Just had my interview today! Think it went ok, maybe could have done better on answering the commercial question at the end but I'm pretty happy with it!

For anyone that's in that situation, they are also possibly offering 2021 TCs for anyone who is interested in starting a little earlier than 2022.

RB99

Star Member
    Dec 27, 2019
    So I assume that if the final round is tomorrow then those who're still waiting will be rejected on Monday?
    Mathieu told me tomorrow was his "last round" of interviews and the AC is in the second week of February. I am afraid today might be the last round but I may have misunderstood. My friend has still not received any response yet as well.

Reactions: Frank

NourJ

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 1, 2020
    Do any of you know how many people they are advancing to the next stage? Cause usually its 1,800 applications, 80 AC and 40 VS and then 10-12 trainees; but now with this telephone interview idk how it's going to be.

Just had my interview today! Think it went ok, maybe could have done better on answering the commercial question at the end but I'm pretty happy with it!

For anyone that's in that situation, they are also possibly offering 2021 TCs for anyone who is interested in starting a little earlier than 2022.

Did you apply for their TC directly?

Also I'm sure your interview went great! I don't think they expect too much at this stage in terms of commercial awareness.

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Do any of you know how many people they are advancing to the next stage? Cause usually its 1,800 applications, 80 AC and 40 VS and then 10-12 trainees; but now with this telephone interview idk how it's going to be.

Also I'm sure your interview went great! I don't think they expect too much at this stage in terms of commercial awareness.

I booked a telephone interview pretty quickly and saw that on some days there were 12 interview slots. So assuming, that's the max every day and they interviewed since last Thursday, that's about 84 interviews in total.

Also I didn't apply for TC directly but he also mentioned that 2021 spaces are available (most likely because I graduated recently!)

Frank

Valued Member
    Dec 12, 2018
    I booked a telephone interview pretty quickly and saw that on some days there were 12 interview slots. So assuming, that's the max every day and they interviewed since last Thursday, that's about 84 interviews in total.

Also I didn't apply for TC directly but he also mentioned that 2021 spaces are available (most likely because I graduated recently!)

did you have any interview spots for next week then?

NourJ

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 1, 2020

Hopefully they'll take as many of us as possible *fingers crossed*.

RB99

Star Member
    Dec 27, 2019
    Yes of course! I'd say that it was really focused on your application, nothing too difficult. For example, he asked me about my degree choice and why I am now pursuing commercial law. He asked me a bit about my work experience, and skills/hobbies. And then there was why Skadden and tell me about a commercial news story :)
    Thank you! I had similar ones in mine as well.

Reactions: Laura T

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018

I applied for their vac scheme. I met Matthieu at a careers dinner at my university and he strongly advised everyone attending to apply for a vac scheme as that is the way they recruit 90% of their trainees.

Thanks - yeah I think it went ok. I just worry that although I linked the story back to the firm, maybe I didn't do it in a way that would be good.

NourJ

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 1, 2020
    I applied for their vac scheme. I met Matthieu at a careers dinner at my university and he strongly advised everyone attending to apply for a vac scheme as that is the way they recruit 90% of their trainees.

Thanks - yeah I think it went ok. I just worry that although I linked the story back to the firm, maybe I didn't do it in a way that would be good.

Makes sense that they recruit mainly from their vac schemes! Thank you for getting back to me!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.