Skadden Telephone Interview

NourJ

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jan 1, 2020
AC invite came through too :). .. best of luck everyone! Which dates/times did you pick? :)
I chose the latest, Feb 13 at 2 pm wbu?

Massive well done!! Goes to show that even if you think an interview doesn't go well, it possibly did :D

Thank you so so much! I really am beyond surprised, I'm guessing they went easy on us for this first round. Congratulations to you too!!:D

mlaw123

Nov 5, 2020
Has anyone already had experience of the telephone interview this year for Skadden? I haven't seen anything so perhaps they have just started handing them out. Would be great to get some advice for it! Mine is this coming Friday

ibs97

Legendary Member
Jan 20, 2020
Has anyone already had experience of the telephone interview this year for Skadden? I haven't seen anything so perhaps they have just started handing them out. Would be great to get some advice for it! Mine is this coming Friday

did one last year it was pretty straightforward stuff – why skadden, a recent commercial news story that interested you and why law and i think one more question but i can't remember

Reactions: packhorse

mlaw123

Nov 5, 2020
did one last year it was pretty straightforward stuff – why skadden, a recent commercial news story that interested you and why law and i think one more question but i can't remember
Thank you! Seems as though they stick to straightforward questions then :)

Wondering if they make you go into detail on the commercial news story (like debate it) or just let you answer then move on?

ibs97

Legendary Member
Jan 20, 2020
Thank you! Seems as though they stick to straightforward questions then :)

Wondering if they make you go into detail on the commercial news story (like debate it) or just let you answer then move on?
i remember being probed on it like how do you think this story will it affect skadden/our clients but not much more. The whole thing was very straightforward

• ℹ️
Reactions: mlaw123

g08pikeno

Aug 7, 2020
Guys I am just wondering whether anyone could help with the following question: (1) Why Skadden over any other US firm? (Obvs they are very strong for M&A but what else distinguishes them?)

Thank you!

NA27

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 19, 2020
Guys I am just wondering whether anyone could help with the following question: (1) Why Skadden over any other US firm? (Obvs they are very strong for M&A but what else distinguishes them?)

Thank you!

Few points you might mention:
  • Skadden is very well-known for public M&A, whereas other U.S. firms have generally struggled with cracking this market and have focused a lot more on private equity and private M&A more generally. They have also recently recruited some very prominent PE dealmakers, such as Bruce Embley from Freshfields.
  • Skadden's disputes and international arbitration practice is unique in that many U.S. firms tend to be more transactional focused. Skadden, on the other hand, has one of the best international arbitration practices, led by eminent practitioners such as Karyl Nairn QC and David Kavanagh QC.

Thank you!

• 🤝
Reactions: g08pikeno and mlaw123

mlaw123

Nov 5, 2020
Hi! I have my interview tomorrow. Some guidelines on the kind of questions you got would be hugely appreciated! I've never ever done a law interview before I'm SO nervous

The interview was very straightforward and what you would expect so things like why Skadden, why I chose my degree subject, a commercial story and I was asked about a particular work experience I had done and what I took away from it (they have your application in front of them). I also had a question on tell me a time when you demonstrated [skill]. I would say that anything you mention relating to your experiences and skills, be prepared to expand on it and give an example!

Hope this helps and good luck!

conniekatherine

Esteemed Member
Sep 30, 2019
Just had my interview - basic questions about why law, why my degree, why Skadden, and a recent news story - just know your app well and it will be fine! Said they're interviewing candidates until Monday then AC interviews will be sent

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.