Skilled worker visa threshold changes impact

ADKM

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2022
Hi @Jessica Booker,

Could you please share your advice on what constitutes the eligibility for a skilled worker visa for the role of a ‘Solicitor’?
I have applied to a firm for a SVS outside London and while I have checked that the eligible salary threshold for a solicitor is £34,300 as per govt sources, I am not sure if this threshold covers the role of a trainee solicitor too? (The NQ salary is well above the stated threshold).
I’m now worried that this particular application of mine could be rejected just based on this new visa change. Thank you for your help as always!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

Could you please share your advice on what constitutes the eligibility for a skilled worker visa for the role of a ‘Solicitor’?
I have applied to a firm for a SVS outside London and while I have checked that the eligible salary threshold for a solicitor is £34,300 as per govt sources, I am not sure if this threshold covers the role of a trainee solicitor too? (The NQ salary is well above the stated threshold).
I’m now worried that this particular application of mine could be rejected just based on this new visa change. Thank you for your help as always!
The minimum salary will always be the base line requirement for a skilled persons visa, and so if the firm is paying below this, they will not be able to secure a visa for the opportunity from April onwards.

Trainee solicitors do meet the general visa requirements outside of the salary criteria though as you will effectively be a “solicitors clerk”

IMG_5856.png

Glazmogon

Apr 3, 2024
I can imagine that must be a bit concerning, especially with your plans for 2025 in mind.

I know navigating visa requirements can be overwhelming, but staying informed and seeking advice from experts in immigration could be really beneficial. They might be able to offer guidance on how to navigate this change and what steps you can take to meet the new threshold.

If you're interested in enhancing your skills, you might want to consider looking into hrd corp claimable courses. They offer a range of courses that could help you not only meet the visa requirements but also enhance your career prospects in the long run.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.