Slaughter and May - reapplication?

refy

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 19, 2021
Hi all!
I applied to S&M last year for the vac scheme but got rejected post-interview as they said in the feedback that I was a good candidate but one of my answers was too generic. They told me to reapply for a training contract and I was wondering if I should do this and how to go about the cover letter - how different do I make it?
Thank you:)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all!
I applied to S&M last year for the vac scheme but got rejected post-interview as they said in the feedback that I was a good candidate but one of my answers was too generic. They told me to reapply for a training contract and I was wondering if I should do this and how to go about the cover letter - how different do I make it?
I'd definitely reapply if they have encouraged you to do so.

What question was the generic answer on? If that was something more motivational, then I would try to ensure my cover letter maybe weaves in some evidence to say that you have either done more research/gained more experience that has refined your thinking since last time.

I'd also try to update the cover letter as much as possible and critically evaluate whether you could write things in a clear style/more concisely but potentially if a different way too. Its likely the themes of your cover letter will be similar but putting effort in to try and show this is a fresh application is probably worthwhile.

SamLu

Jan 15, 2022
Hi all!
Definitely reapply. I got rejected for the Slaughter vac scheme but got the TC the same year. They assess their vac scheme students for TC just the same as direct TC applicants, so they are at no advantage. Sounds as if you did really well at interview. Now you have even better chances since nobody declines a vac scheme offer but then can only accept one TC.

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

refy

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 19, 2021
Definitely reapply. I got rejected for the Slaughter vac scheme but got the TC the same year. They assess their vac scheme students for TC just the same as direct TC applicants, so they are at no advantage. Sounds as if you did really well at interview. Now you have even better chances since nobody declines a vac scheme offer but then can only accept one TC.
Thank you for this! I did and I have been invited to interview in Nov :) Do you by any chance have any tips, mainly for the written exercise?

NatashaS98

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 30, 2022
Hi @ap_88 . From my experience sitting the written exercise, I think the crucial test here is time-management. You'll be given some documents and be tasked with answering some client's questions. You will then have approx 1 hour to digest the information from the documents and pick out/summarise those parts that are relevant to the client’s questions. Some of the documents will be graphs, so taking your time to really understand these graphs despite the time limit for the exercise will be important.

The partner interview is split between the article and CV/interesting matters. The first question they’ll ask is for you to summarise the article in 2 sentences, so use your 15 mins to plan this. You should also try to form an opinion on the article to help with the discussion. Whilst not essential, I found that looking at the article and finding ways of relating this to other relevant topics/similar cases I might have read up on helped in guiding the discussion and in showing my wider reading around the subject. Given the article will likely be an opinion piece from the FT/Guardian/Times, reading the news in the lead up of your interview will really help.

The rest of the interview covers your CV/random interesting matters. This is quite unpredictable, but one semi-predictable question would be whether there is a particular deal you’ve been following recently – so I’d recommend doing research on a deal in advance of your interview and thinking about what’s interesting about it both commercially and legally. One warning would be to avoid bringing anything that you don’t know that well, just in case you are then asked some challenging follow-up questions.

The HR interview is nothing to worry about. It is generally chatty and you might be asked questions such as Why Slaughter and May and why commercial law. You can actually use this interview tactically if you think anything does go wrong as they’ll (likely) ask you how the day has gone/exercise went. I had messed up my time management so I said in the HR interview that what I’d done was purposeful; i.e. “I’d rather highlight two key points than overload the client with information”.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaysen

refy

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 19, 2021
Hi @ap_88 . From my experience sitting the written exercise, I think the crucial test here is time-management. You'll be given some documents and be tasked with answering some client's questions. You will then have approx 1 hour to digest the information from the documents and pick out/summarise those parts that are relevant to the client’s questions. Some of the documents will be graphs, so taking your time to really understand these graphs despite the time limit for the exercise will be important.

The partner interview is split between the article and CV/interesting matters. The first question they’ll ask is for you to summarise the article in 2 sentences, so use your 15 mins to plan this. You should also try to form an opinion on the article to help with the discussion. Whilst not essential, I found that looking at the article and finding ways of relating this to other relevant topics/similar cases I might have read up on helped in guiding the discussion and in showing my wider reading around the subject. Given the article will likely be an opinion piece from the FT/Guardian/Times, reading the news in the lead up of your interview will really help.

The rest of the interview covers your CV/random interesting matters. This is quite unpredictable, but one semi-predictable question would be whether there is a particular deal you’ve been following recently – so I’d recommend doing research on a deal in advance of your interview and thinking about what’s interesting about it both commercially and legally. One warning would be to avoid bringing anything that you don’t know that well, just in case you are then asked some challenging follow-up questions.

The HR interview is nothing to worry about. It is generally chatty and you might be asked questions such as Why Slaughter and May and why commercial law. You can actually use this interview tactically if you anything does go wrong as they’ll (likely) ask you how the day has gone/exercise went. I had messed up my time management so I said in the HR interview that what I’d done was purposeful; i.e. “I’d rather highlight two key points than overload the client with information”.

Hi, thank you so much for this!

Foyin

Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2023
Hi all!
Hi, I’m about to apply for their non law trainee recruitment as well, could you please give me tips on how to write a good cover letter

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.