Slaughter and May VS 2021/TC 2023 application

Nat000

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    Hi Nat! I was wondering if you could give us any tips on how to best prepare for an interview? I have mine on the 18th Jan and don’t really know what I should do in advance for the commercial awareness part. Also in your experience are they more focused on motivational or competency based questions on the day? Thanks!

Of course! So for the commercial awareness part, you don't really need to do anything beyond reading the Financial Times regularly (at least several times a week, and daily for the week or so before your interview). I found it really enjoyable personally because it's the only element of the whole process you can control, at least to an extent. It doesn't matter if the topic is really niche/totally unfamiliar to you, as long as you demonstrate a general awareness of the current affairs which might impact that specific topic and you're willing to give educated guesses.

There are definitely more competency questions than motivational. Obviously be prepared for 'why Slaughters' and 'why law' just in case, but they don't usually bother going into depth with stuff like that. To be honest though, in my interview I didn't have many competency questions either - it felt way more like a conversation with more random topics. So be ready for the unexpected essentially.

Good luck!

Reactions: Jaysen

@k

Aug 1, 2020
    Of course! So for the commercial awareness part, you don't really need to do anything beyond reading the Financial Times regularly (at least several times a week, and daily for the week or so before your interview). I found it really enjoyable personally because it's the only element of the whole process you can control, at least to an extent. It doesn't matter if the topic is really niche/totally unfamiliar to you, as long as you demonstrate a general awareness of the current affairs which might impact that specific topic and you're willing to give educated guesses.

There are definitely more competency questions than motivational. Obviously be prepared for 'why Slaughters' and 'why law' just in case, but they don't usually bother going into depth with stuff like that. To be honest though, in my interview I didn't have many competency questions either - it felt way more like a conversation with more random topics. So be ready for the unexpected essentially.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much, that was really helpful!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Nat000

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hey guys, I made such a stupid mistake - I submitted a covering letter to S&M which contained one word in a different font colour. Is this going to affect my prospects of succeeding? I feel so stupid!

Hi @Donzi

Please don't feel that way!
    Applications are an extremely stressful time and it is very easy to make minor mistakes!
    I remember panicking over the fact that I put the wrong date in one of my applications. However, as much as it may feel disappointing it is important that you try to not dwell on what has already occurred.
    More often than not, less obvious issues such as the wrong date or in your case a different font colour, may not be picked up on when glancing through multiple applications and even lesser so when the applications are printed in black and white. In my case, I still managed to get an interview!

So please try not to dwell! Rather, simply take it as a learning experience and an extra thing to watch out for next time!

Best of luck!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Donzi and Jaysen

Donzi

Star Member
    Mar 9, 2019
    Hi @Donzi

Please don't feel that way!
    Applications are an extremely stressful time and it is very easy to make minor mistakes!
    I remember panicking over the fact that I put the wrong date in one of my applications. However, as much as it may feel disappointing it is important that you try to not dwell on what has already occurred.
    More often than not, less obvious issues such as the wrong date or in your case a different font colour, may not be picked up on when glancing through multiple applications and even lesser so when the applications are printed in black and white. In my case, I still managed to get an interview!

So please try not to dwell! Rather, simply take it as a learning experience and an extra thing to watch out for next time!

Best of luck!

Hey Naomi - thank you for your kind words. Just wanted to update you to say that I got the interview!!!

matpart

Star Member
    Jan 2, 2020
    Applied for direct TC in early october but still haven't heard back, while others who have applied later than me seem to have been both rejected and have received AC invites. Strange!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.