Starting LPC without a TC? Thoughts ?

SameerS

Star Member
Jul 30, 2018
Is there anyone out there that started their LPC without securing a TC?

I am in just two minds I do not know whether to self-fund it or wait until I secure a TC?

Thoughts, please.

Coralin96

Valued Member
Early Bird
Feb 28, 2018

I am in just two minds I do not know whether to self-fund it or wait until I secure a TC?

Thoughts, please.

I guess it depends on why you want to do it and what else you'd be doing over that year instead. Are you looking to apply to a firm that doesn't fund the LPC normally?

Reactions: SameerS

Legalese

Jul 10, 2018

Thoughts, please.

I started the LPC without a TC. Most people on the LPC do not have TCs so don't worry about that.
(I would say around 40% do 60% don't - I was told this by careers consultant last year)

If you are worried about funding I know that the University of Law offers two extra modules which gives you an MSc as well as an LPC which means you qualify for a £10,000 student loan if you are a British citizen, this means you have to cover the extra 5k and living costs. I opted for the MSc element which was fairly easy to complete whilst studying the LPC.

Also it might be worth considering how strong your CV and grades are. If you have stellar work experience and grades throughout then you can justify spending all the money on the LPC because it is likely you will get a training contract. However, if you don't it might be better to wait until you get one first/ send time para-legalling.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.