Stephenson Harwood responsibilities question

Josh Hardy

Standard Member
Jun 23, 2020
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone had any though on the SH vac scheme question 'Tell us about responsibilities you have taken on outside of work and/or study'?

I assume since it says outside or work and/OR study that means it would be appropriate to talk about responsibilities I had working at my gap year job? Just struggling to understand the language of the question - since if they're excluding both work and study then that leaves a very small type of responsibility to talk about if you can't refer to previous non-law related jobs...

Thanks in advance :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone had any though on the SH vac scheme question 'Tell us about responsibilities you have taken on outside of work and/or study'?

I assume since it says outside or work and/OR study that means it would be appropriate to talk about responsibilities I had working at my gap year job? Just struggling to understand the language of the question - since if they're excluding both work and study then that leaves a very small type of responsibility to talk about if you can't refer to previous non-law related jobs...

Thanks in advance :)

no - a gap year job is still work. This is looking for any extra curricular activities or things you do outside of a day job/studying for a qualification

Reactions: Jaysen

RB

Star Member
Jun 7, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I'm in the midst of drafting an Open Day application at Stephenson Harwood and one of the questions is as follows:

"Tell us when you have exceeded expectations in your work, study and/or outside interests.
  • What challenges did you experience?
  • How did you respond to those challenges?
  • What was the outcome?"
As the application refers to challenges (plural) rather than its singular form, is it asking us to give more than one example of challenges we've faced? I'm slightly concerned as to how to hit all the aspects of the question if we need to give more than one example as the word count is only 250 words!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I'm in the midst of drafting an Open Day application at Stephenson Harwood and one of the questions is as follows:

"Tell us when you have exceeded expectations in your work, study and/or outside interests.
  • What challenges did you experience?
  • How did you respond to those challenges?
  • What was the outcome?"
As the application refers to challenges (plural) rather than its singular form, is it asking us to give more than one example of challenges we've faced? I'm slightly concerned as to how to hit all the aspects of the question if we need to give more than one example as the word count is only 250 words!

It can be one example - you just could have multiple challenges within that example.

You could list multiple examples, but given the word count and what they are asking you to cover with the bullet points, I think it might be difficult to mention more than one (and definitely will be difficult if more than 2)

Think I have only see someone provide one example from applications reviewed.

Reactions: RB

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.