Strategies for reducing "email-checking anxiety"

packhorse

Esteemed Member
Jan 12, 2021
Hey everyone,

I posted this on the Vacation Schemes group but this strategy has honestly massively decreased the frequency I check my emails! I thought the community could share insights into how to do this too! What strategies do you use??

My strategy is:

Every time you think about checking your email draw a little email logo (like the Gmail one- or this one: ✉️) on a piece of paper. I try to do mine on lined paper.

It is a really good way to actively do something instead and often the impulse is gone after drawing something. It also makes you realise the number of times you have thought about your emails!

It might also be a good way of keeping honest/accountable for "giving in" to impulses (which don't help!)

Reactions: Jaysen

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey!

Have you checked out this thread? It's some members of the forum helping to keep each other in check on the excessive email checking. https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....-emails-applications-anonymous-6pm-club.3258/

I actually deleted the email app off my phone during the app process. That way whenever I was away from my laptop, ie when I was eating, watching something on TV, walking home etc, I wouldn't obsesses over checking because I literally couldn't (too much of a hassle to log in using a browser on the phone) It's a bit of a drastic measure but it works! 😅

• Love
    Reactions: packhorse

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey everyone,

I posted this on the Vacation Schemes group but this strategy has honestly massively decreased the frequency I check my emails! I thought the community could share insights into how to do this too! What strategies do you use??

My strategy is:

Every time you think about checking your email draw a little email logo (like the Gmail one- or this one: ✉️) on a piece of paper. I try to do mine on lined paper.

It is a really good way to actively do something instead and often the impulse is gone after drawing something. It also makes you realise the number of times you have thought about your emails!

It might also be a good way of keeping honest/accountable for "giving in" to impulses (which don't help!)
    I often find myself unwittingly checking my email, so this is a great way of giving more pause! I'm on week two without email/social media notifications on my phone and so far it has made a world of difference.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Alison C and packhorse

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.