Summer Scheme vs Direct TC for Slaughters

RB99

Star Member
Dec 27, 2019
Hi All,

I had unsuccessfully applied to S&M's Direct TC for the 2022 intake this summer. However, I am considering re-applying this cycle for 2023.

Should I be applying for the Summer Scheme or the Direct TC for 2023? I am aware its a relatively soon application since the last one, but which one is more appropriate give this background. I am aware SM hires nearly equally from TC and Schemes, but could the scheme be a safer option given my recent application?

Would like to hear everyone's thoughts!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi All,

I had unsuccessfully applied to S&M's Direct TC for the 2022 intake this summer. However, I am considering re-applying this cycle for 2023.

Should I be applying for the Summer Scheme or the Direct TC for 2023? I am aware its a relatively soon application since the last one, but which one is more appropriate give this background. I am aware SM hires nearly equally from TC and Schemes, but could the scheme be a safer option given my recent application?

It really depends on whether you’d like to undertake a VS at the firm or not or whether you feel you know them well enough to go for a straight TC. The only other factor would if Slaughters would like to see evidence of a vacation scheme (anywhere, not their firm specifically) for a direct TC app so they can be sure you’ve experience the profession. To my knowledge, they’re not a firm who desire to see this but it might be worth checking just in case.

Nat000

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    Hi All,

If you've previously been unsuccessful, they say they'd like to see 'a significant development which alters [your] application' since the last cycle. If you got to the interview stage before as well, your chances of being re-interviewed are pretty low.

If you feel you have that though, I would say go for a direct TC application. They don't really set much store by the summer scheme, it just seems to exist to give penultimate-year students some exposure to the firm. I don't think it's necessary to have done a vac scheme anywhere to be successful in a direct TC application, either.

RB99

Star Member
    Dec 27, 2019
    Thank you both for the replies! I have not been to interview stage at SM before so I should not face that hurdle you mention. I did a US firm vac scheme this summer so I feel Direct TC should be the way to go too now that you support it too.

Reactions: Nat000

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone have any thoughts about Easter Scheme (1 week) vs Summer Scheme (3 weeks) for S&M?

I wouldn’t think of it in terms of length. I would think about it in terms of whether you want an possible TC offer earlier or later, what time of year works better for you with your studies, how it may fit in with other vacation schemes.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Also, bear in mind that doing the summer vac scheme guarantees you a TC interview but I don't believe the Easter one does.

I am not sure that is true - it might have been the case this year with Covid-19 disruptions impacting the Easter programme, but would expect them to apply things consistently (otherwise the Easter scheme just wouldn’t be popular).

Nat000

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    I am not sure that is true - it might have been the case this year with Covid-19 disruptions impacting the Easter programme, but would expect them to apply things consistently (otherwise the Easter scheme just wouldn’t be popular).

I heard this from my trainee buddy on the vac scheme, who commented that people from the cancelled Easter one were lucky they'd been moved to the summer one since it entitled them to the TC interview, but things may have changed since he applied!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I don't think that's the case, this seems to be a fairly regular rule:

> "We offer training contract interviews at the end of our summer schemes. If you are attending our Easter scheme, you will need to apply for a training contract once you have received your penultimate year exam results."

https://www.slaughterandmay.com/car...xperience-opportunities/work-experience-faqs/

Very odd - just shows you how there is never the same approach even within firms, let alone across them.

It might be something to do with the offer process though - making sure candidates are not just accepting offers at Easter and reneging when they get offers in the summer.

Must make their Easter scheme far less popular then

Reactions: Numerius Negidius

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yeah, it is rather bizarre. If this (https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/slaughter-and-may-vacation-scheme-2017.200/) post is anything to go by, they've had this policy for years, and don't seem to show any signs of changing yet. Still, given they have a reputation for being a bit "different", this might just be another part of that whole approach.

I suspect it is something to do with the timing of TC offers more than anything. There is logic there thinking about it.

HCY

Star Member
    Aug 17, 2019
    Yeah, it is rather bizarre. If this (https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/slaughter-and-may-vacation-scheme-2017.200/) post is anything to go by, they've had this policy for years, and don't seem to show any signs of changing yet. Still, given they have a reputation for being a bit "different", this might just be another part of that whole approach.

Hi all,

Is this still the case? It states on the website ‘’You will have the chance to interview with us for a training contract during the summer following the Easter scheme.’’

https://www.slaughterandmay.com/careers/trainee-solicitors/work-experience-opportunities/

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.