TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LlamaLaw

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Sep 17, 2021
Hello, I am a bit stuck on the following Fieldfisher application question: "Please provide us with more details of your achievements, scholarships, positions of responsibility, insight schemes, open days and virtual work experience opportunities, extra-curricular activities and everything else that interests you"

I did plenty of charity and pro bono work alongside my studies at University, however I gradated in 2019. I spent some time after graduating working in various industries as I wanted to pick a career path that I would really enjoy and I wanted to try some things out. I decided in 2021 to go back into law and I have been paralegal for 7 months now. The problem is - I have been very focussed on working over the past few years with long hours, that I haven't really participated in extra curricular activities like I did at University. I read and paint as my hobbies. I also have been attending various seminars run by law firms to learn about their practices and current topics etc.

I'm really stuck as to what I can talk about. Can I talk about my university extra curricular activities even though they were in 2019? Can I talk about my current hobbies like reading and art even though it's not really a notable achievement? Can I even talk about my various jobs that I have had over the past few years as they have helped direct me back towards law? Any advice at all would be really appreciated!
You should be able to reference any achievements and career successes, etc along with what you did in 2019. I applied (last year) as a career switcher and I definitely referenced things before 2019! For work experience things, I'd mention any particularly interesting experiences or opportunities you were afforded - projects that went well, particular skills or things you picked up and so on.

The question does focus its wording more on people just about to or recently graduated so I took a bit of a creative liberty and made it more career focused.

Reactions: Bec

nkji500

• Jul 13, 2021
    Hi all,

I'm preparing for the CC 2023 AC and I have heard that the writing exercise is often relating to their 'Thought Leadership' pieces. So far, I've studied their pieces of the China's Belt and Road Initiative, The AI Act, ESG and The UK's National Security and Investments act - I know some of these have come up in the past but I was wondering if anyone can spot any glaring gaps in my knowledge?

( I doubt COVID/Brexit will be the main focus of the written exercise, I think it is more likely that the effects of these events will be used in a more supplementary way to increase the strength of your answer - but I'm not sure).

thanks!

Reactions: applyingfortc

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2019
    Hello, I am a bit stuck on the following Fieldfisher application question: "Please provide us with more details of your achievements, scholarships, positions of responsibility, insight schemes, open days and virtual work experience opportunities, extra-curricular activities and everything else that interests you"

I did plenty of charity and pro bono work alongside my studies at University, however I gradated in 2019. I spent some time after graduating working in various industries as I wanted to pick a career path that I would really enjoy and I wanted to try some things out. I decided in 2021 to go back into law and I have been paralegal for 7 months now. The problem is - I have been very focussed on working over the past few years with long hours, that I haven't really participated in extra curricular activities like I did at University. I read and paint as my hobbies. I also have been attending various seminars run by law firms to learn about their practices and current topics etc.

I'm really stuck as to what I can talk about. Can I talk about my university extra curricular activities even though they were in 2019? Can I talk about my current hobbies like reading and art even though it's not really a notable achievement? Can I even talk about my various jobs that I have had over the past few years as they have helped direct me back towards law? Any advice at all would be really appreciated!
    It should be fine to reference things from 2019. I referenced some extra curricular activities I did in 2018 and made it through to the next round. I will mention that some of the activities started before 2018 but continued onwards. However, within those I highlighted achievements from 2018. So in essence 2019 activities are fine, but any continued activities will help even more. Keep in mind that extra-curriculars may have been hard to sustain from 2020 onwards due to COVID, and so any virtual open days and the like could be used to supplement your extra-curricular activities.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Bec and AvniD

AAA_a

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 14, 2019
    Just an FYI for anyone who's already graduated - I spoke to SullCrom grad rec and they confirmed that they ring-fence some places for direct TCs since vac schemes are restricted to current students
    I guess that at least explains in part how I could send in an application Saturday 5pm only to be rejected Tuesday 7am.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Anyone that did CC AC heard back yet? Or know when we'll hear back?

I had my AC today and they said they are aiming to call everyone by the end of next week/possibly the beginning of the week after.

I think some people have started to hear back though.

CC mentioned at my AC that we’ll hear back by next Friday.

I know that someone on TCLA got an offer but unsure what scheme for and when they had their AC.

Good luck!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.