TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

allthingslegaltech

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 7, 2022
Yeah it's super difficult to tell. On the bright side though all the partners who I interviewed with at Freshfields were super friendly so whatever the outcome it's a positive experience.

Had a similar interview at another firm and it was an hour of absolute agony so definitely a step up haha

Reactions: Lawbour

georgiejg

Jan 6, 2022
Hi - not sure if this might be useful, but I found it really helpful to tailor my questions to the person I was asking! For example, I always asked grad recruitment what fictional character the firm in question might be, because it allowed me to get a perspective on how they viewed the firm and also what the firm was trying to highlight about itself. (According to grad recruitment Freshfields is Cinderella and Stephenson Harwood is dead set on being Sherlock Holmes, if you happen to be interested in Disney or classic detective novels) 😂

Obviously, sort of question might come across as little frivolous in an associate/partner Q&A!

I usually asked about key challenges that they had overcome during their careers, reasons they had transferred to (or trained at) the firm, or even long-term challenges that they thought my intake of trainees would have to overcome. I ended up getting some fantastic answers about changes in international client-bases, difficulties with NQ retention, and challenges with client-communication that the partners were facing in their daily work. Your interview time with a partner is really valuable to improving yourself as a candidate- these sorts of answers really helped me get a pulse on how the legal industry is shifting and gave me a better idea of what I might face as a trainee.

(If you're feeling exceptionally bold near the end of a one-to-one interview, you can ask the ultimate useful question- whether the partner thinks you personally would fit into/contribute to the firm, but this might be out of place if the interview style isn't particularly casual/conversational.)

Also, in my own experience of a large group Q&A exercise, really clever-sounding technical questions (ie. questions about percentage shifts in interest rates, LIBOR etc.) tended to come across as slightly out of place and over-studied, so unless you have a specific reason for wanting to know something technical I would avoid that sort of thing.

Best of luck on your AC- I'm sure you'll be brilliant!

This is so helpful - thank you for the tips !

• Love
Reactions: BiancaR

allthingslegaltech

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 7, 2022
Just picking back up on the questions post

A question I like to ask if 'Tell me about a really good day you had recently' - I think if the partner/associate/recruiter's eyes light up and they can think of something pretty solid that's a good sign. If they are taken aback and not sure what to say, it's not quite as optimistic a response as ideal. Theory is that if they relish answering and give some good examples it's a great insight into everyday life at the firm, and also what a good day looks like there.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Has anyone heard back from OC post- second stage AC? Had mine last Monday and I know it hasn't been that long yet but the wait is kiiiiiilling me
Nope, mine was last Wednesday and nothing. which office did you apply for?

After stage one everyone successful heard back the day after the last AC and they have ACs for other offices until Thursday this week, someone else who had a VS AC asked when we’d hear back and was told it would be this Friday or Monday.

kr253

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2021

After stage one everyone successful heard back the day after the last AC and they have ACs for other offices until Thursday this week, someone else who had a VS AC asked when we’d hear back and was told it would be this Friday or Monday.
Ah thank you for this, at least I can stop worrying tomorrow! Mine was for Reading, how about you?

oklam

Standard Member
Feb 17, 2022
Hi guys. I applied at Allen & Overy. And I passed the SJT in December 2021, but still have not heard back from them. I sent them a couple of emails, but they said they were still reviewing applications. Is it normal? It‘s been so long!

Daisy27

Oct 19, 2020
Just got invited to an AC from HCR Hewitsons for the TC
Seems overly intense for a regional law firm but it is my first ever direct TC application:
  • Drafting Exercise (You are sent an email from a Partner asking for you to draft a response for them to send to a client)
  • Presentation (A legal topic that you are passionate about, presented to 3 partners)
  • Interview (45 mins with 2 partners, technical / legal scenario based questions
  • 3 online tests (shd be fairly straightforward)
Appreciate any advice for any part as I don't have experience of an AC in the context of a TC
Current HCR future Trainee - please DM. General advice re any TC interview (I've had a few haha) would be, be yourself. Be professional and be prepared. Make sure you have researched and understood the firm, their practise areas, strengths and strategy (recent hires in particular offices or mergers and why the firm might've made those moves). Don't stress too much if you don't perform strongly in one area of a multi-level assessment as you could redeem yourself in another area. I'd say the face-to-face interview is really key as this is a chance to be memorable (make it conversational if you can, if you're asked how your day was - return the question and be interested in all interviewers). Thing about a TC is its a bigger investment for the firm than a VC, essentially all the firm wants to see is that you are a good fit for the firm, capable of learning and that they could sit next to you for 6 months so roll with that in mind. Best of luck.

bbweby

Mar 3, 2022

are the VC and TC ACs separate?

TChopeful

Feb 14, 2022
Feeling rather dejected at the moment. I have been applying for training contracts/Vac Schemes for a few years now, and never got so much as an interview. Got a first from a Russell Group, Distinction in GDL, yet still not hearing a peep. I've been trying to apply for Paralegal jobs, but they all require experience, and many require the LPC too! I'm volunteering at a law centre, but I am starting to feel as if this is some sort of elite club that I am simply not invited to. I shall persist. I guess what I want to ask is how does one go about getting paralegal/legal experience? If every role seemingly requires experience, how does one get that requisite experience in the first place?

psr23

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Sep 15, 2020
Feeling rather dejected at the moment. I have been applying for training contracts/Vac Schemes for a few years now, and never got so much as an interview. Got a first from a Russell Group, Distinction in GDL, yet still not hearing a peep. I've been trying to apply for Paralegal jobs, but they all require experience, and many require the LPC too! I'm volunteering at a law centre, but I am starting to feel as if this is some sort of elite club that I am simply not invited to. I shall persist. I guess what I want to ask is how does one go about getting paralegal/legal experience? If every role seemingly requires experience, how does one get that requisite experience in the first place?
I got my first role with no experience through Flex Legal, they count pro bono work as work experience so that helps with them. Once I got to six months paralegal experience, it started to get a lot easier to interviews for paralegal jobs (I haven’t done the LPC). I also think law firm offices outside London are easier to get paralegal jobs at if you don’t have experience/LPC

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

JSM123

Star Member
Oct 11, 2021
Hiya, I completely understand how frustrating this can be. Have you tried signing up to Rare Recruitment or Aspiring Solicitors? In my first cycle of apps, I didn't make it to an interview for any firm but looking back I can see how much needed to change on my application forms. I really recommend Rare - they marked all my drafts for law firm applications and showed me where exactly I was going wrong.

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

TChopeful

Feb 14, 2022
Hiya, I completely understand how frustrating this can be. Have you tried signing up to Rare Recruitment or Aspiring Solicitors? In my first cycle of apps, I didn't make it to an interview for any firm but looking back I can see how much needed to change on my application forms. I really recommend Rare - they marked all my drafts for law firm applications and showed me where exactly I was going wrong.
Hello, thanks for the feedback. Both of these services seem to apply to BAME individuals, of which I am not.

kr253

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2021
I got my first role with no experience through Flex Legal, they count pro bono work as work experience so that helps with them. Once I got to six months paralegal experience, it started to get a lot easier to interviews for paralegal jobs (I haven’t done the LPC). I also think law firm offices outside London are easier to get paralegal jobs at if you don’t have experience/LPC
I can second this on paralegal roles outside London. I was in a very similar position to you @TChopeful but managed to secure multiple paralegal offers over the summer for firms outside London. Currently paralegalling and can feel the difference it's making to my apps this cycle!

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD and psr23
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.