TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NS95

Star Member
Oct 25, 2021
Feeling rather dejected at the moment. I have been applying for training contracts/Vac Schemes for a few years now, and never got so much as an interview. Got a first from a Russell Group, Distinction in GDL, yet still not hearing a peep. I've been trying to apply for Paralegal jobs, but they all require experience, and many require the LPC too! I'm volunteering at a law centre, but I am starting to feel as if this is some sort of elite club that I am simply not invited to. I shall persist. I guess what I want to ask is how does one go about getting paralegal/legal experience? If every role seemingly requires experience, how does one get that requisite experience in the first place?
If you still have access to it, I would suggest your university's careers website (or target connect for RS). I found my part-time paralegal role there that I've been doing alongside my law degree. I remember feeling very defeated last year when I didn't secure any vac schemes and I only started to receive interview invites this year (I have not secured a VS or TC!). Don't loose hope, it only takes one "yes" and everything that you've been doing this far will have led you there. Best of luck with everything!!!

• 🤝
Reactions: shootingstar and AvniD

atelier

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    Has anyone heard back from BCLP direct TC (post-app)? Haven't received the link for their sjt test since I applied last week...should i email the grad team or just wait?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know of any firms in London which still have TC applications open, which are not on legal cheek? Like less well known ones.
    Lawcareers.net usually has a more comprehensive list:

jamesbaillie

Star Member
    Jan 31, 2022

lawcurious

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2021
    wondering if anybody here is applying for direct tc without having done a vac scheme/a vac scheme lined up for the summer? is there anything you do differently to demonstrate your career commitment/interest in commercial law? bc I'm wondering if it is worth it to send direct tc apps at all (other than a couple of firms that don't do vac schemes and take only direct tcs)

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    wondering if anybody here is applying for direct tc without having done a vac scheme/a vac scheme lined up for the summer? is there anything you do differently to demonstrate your career commitment/interest in commercial law? bc I'm wondering if it is worth it to send direct tc apps at all (other than a couple of firms that don't do vac schemes and take only direct tcs)
    Never did a vac scheme- the things that help demonstrate your motivations without doing one is top-notch research, initiatives to interact with the firm and a solid understanding of how law firms work, what commercial lawyers do and the legal tools/techniques they regularly employ to serve their clients.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.