TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TChopeful

Feb 14, 2022
This is a TC-adjacent question. Is there a time limit after the application of a TC during which a recruiter will not get a commission if they refer you to that same firm for a different position? I'm unsure if I worded that clearly. I applied for a TC last year at firm X, however, a recruiter called me yesterday about a different position at the same firm. I wonder if the fact that I have applied previously could deter the recruiter because they feel they won't get an introduction commission?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This is a TC-adjacent question. Is there a time limit after the application of a TC during which a recruiter will not get a commission if they refer you to that same firm for a different position? I'm unsure if I worded that clearly. I applied for a TC last year at firm X, however, a recruiter called me yesterday about a different position at the same firm. I wonder if the fact that I have applied previously could deter the recruiter because they feel they won't get an introduction commission?
There might not be any time limit.

However, at the same time it might not even apply to TCs.

Basically, I wouldn't worry about it - let the agency/firm battle that one out. If it stops the recruiter putting you forward, you could always apply directly instead.

Reactions: TChopeful

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
My TC interview ran on half an hour longer than allocated - is this generally a good or bad sign? Or is it impossible to judge?
I don't think it is necessarily either - sometimes interviewers just lose track of time or want to ask more questions than expected.

Amanpreet Kaur

Star Member
Jan 12, 2021
Hi, I just want a bit of advice with applying to TC’s direct.

I have experience as a research assistant to a competition law professor for a week, experience writing partnership agreements for a publication on an ongoing basis since September, 3 different work experience placements (roughly 1 month all in all) & I currently have been working at a law firm since November, in conveyancing. I mainly deal with new business for the firm so it isn’t a substantively legal role.

Would this be considered ‘enough’ to make a direct TC application? I am torn between applying now or applying for a paralegal role and then applying for TC direct. Any help/guidance would really be appreciated!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi, I just want a bit of advice with applying to TC’s direct.

I have experience as a research assistant to a competition law professor for a week, experience writing partnership agreements for a publication on an ongoing basis since September, 3 different work experience placements (roughly 1 month all in all) & I currently have been working at a law firm since November, in conveyancing. I mainly deal with new business for the firm so it isn’t a substantively legal role.

Would this be considered ‘enough’ to make a direct TC application? I am torn between applying now or applying for a paralegal role and then applying for TC direct. Any help/guidance would really be appreciated!
There isn't a set standard of work experience you need have to apply for direct TCs however you do need to be able to demonstrate that you know how law firms work as a business, what commercial lawyers do and the legal techniques and tools they employ in advising clients. As long as you're able to demonstrate this both in your application and at interviews, you should be good.

G P

Star Member
Jul 13, 2020
Hi everyone! To apply for a direct TC, is it recommended to complete a vacation scheme first?
Hi there! I don't think it's strictly necessary. I've never completed a VAC scheme before and have only attended one open day, and accepted a TC offer earlier this year. There are so many other ways to demonstrate enthusiasm for and commitment to a career in law! :)

Crystal86

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2021
Hi there! I don't think it's strictly necessary. I've never completed a VAC scheme before and have only attended one open day, and accepted a TC offer earlier this year. There are so many other ways to demonstrate enthusiasm for and commitment to a career in law! :)
Great, thank you so much! Do you have any tips on how to secure a TC without a vac scheme as it's looking increasingly likely that I am not going to secure a TC 😓

BiancaR

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 12
  • Jun 8, 2020
    Great, thank you so much! Do you have any tips on how to secure a TC without a vac scheme as it's looking increasingly likely that I am not going to secure a TC 😓
    Hi Crystal- I went through exactly this last year! I got rejected from 15 different vac schemes in the spring, and ended up getting 2 TC offers through direct applications over the summer, so it's definitely very possible to get a TC without a VS (and in some cases Direct TC applications can actually be a lot more manageable and less competitive). Here's a few things that really helped me in my own applications.

It's useful to draft a list of firms which recruit meaningfully from Direct TC's. Beyond this, I personally applied to as many firms as I possibly could over one month (caveat- this is a very unpopular opinion). Research is definitely important, but if you fixate on perfecting every application and only apply to a small group of firms, you end up limiting your options and each rejection ends up being more painful and personal. Set a maximum time limit to spend on each application, apply to any firm that interests you, and don't count yourself out from applying to a firm just because it is later on in the cycle.

At least in my experience, firms didn't prioritize applicants with loads of legal experience as long as the applicants were able to articulate why their own experiences made them suitable for a legal career. In some cases, your lack of legal experience can actually be helpful because it forces you to express those connections very explicitly, and is occasionally a bit more interesting than just relying on a single VS experience. Instead of saying you are comfortable editing and drafting because you did a task at a VS, you might write that you learned to edit and draft by running a journal at your university (or something comparable).

Finally, I also found that my applications were much more successful when I was brutally honest about my actual motivations for pursuing law. I spent two years simply saying I was interested in an "intellectually stimulating career", when my real interest was actually motivated by my history course and a project that I completed on Theodore Roosevelt's impact on competition law. Whatever your actual motivation for pursuing law is, it will be good enough!

Direct TC's are definitely still an accessible path into law for people who haven't done a vacation scheme or had loads of legal experience, so long as you are willing to fully articulate all the experiences that make you personally suited to the career! Good luck on your applications- I'm sure you'll be amazing!

Crystal86

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 10, 2021
    Hi Crystal- I went through exactly this last year! I got rejected from 15 different vac schemes in the spring, and ended up getting 2 TC offers through direct applications over the summer, so it's definitely very possible to get a TC without a VS (and in some cases Direct TC applications can actually be a lot more manageable and less competitive). Here's a few things that really helped me in my own applications.

It's useful to draft a list of firms which recruit meaningfully from Direct TC's. Beyond this, I personally applied to as many firms as I possibly could over one month (caveat- this is a very unpopular opinion). Research is definitely important, but if you fixate on perfecting every application and only apply to a small group of firms, you end up limiting your options and each rejection ends up being more painful and personal. Set a maximum time limit to spend on each application, apply to any firm that interests you, and don't count yourself out from applying to a firm just because it is later on in the cycle.

At least in my experience, firms didn't prioritize applicants with loads of legal experience as long as the applicants were able to articulate why their own experiences made them suitable for a legal career. In some cases, your lack of legal experience can actually be helpful because it forces you to express those connections very explicitly, and is occasionally a bit more interesting than just relying on a single VS experience. Instead of saying you are comfortable editing and drafting because you did a task at a VS, you might write that you learned to edit and draft by running a journal at your university (or something comparable).

Finally, I also found that my applications were much more successful when I was brutally honest about my actual motivations for pursuing law. I spent two years simply saying I was interested in an "intellectually stimulating career", when my real interest was actually motivated by my history course and a project that I completed on Theodore Roosevelt's impact on competition law. Whatever your actual motivation for pursuing law is, it will be good enough!

Direct TC's are definitely still an accessible path into law for people who haven't done a vacation scheme or had loads of legal experience, so long as you are willing to fully articulate all the experiences that make you personally suited to the career! Good luck on your applications- I'm sure you'll be amazing!
    Thank you so much this is incredibly helpful! I will definitely take on board your advice! If you don't mind me asking which firms do you think do not proritise lots of legal work experience?

Amanpreet Kaur

Star Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    There isn't a set standard of work experience you need have to apply for direct TCs however you do need to be bale to demonstrate that you know how law firms work as a business, what commercial lawyers do and the legal techniques and tools they employ in advising clients. As long as you're able to demonstrate this both in your application and at interviews, you should be good.
    Thank you for the advice! TC season here we goo

atelier

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    i wonder whether BCLP screens all applications before sending out their SJT tests? i see many vac schemers who have received an automated email from BCLP to take the SJT test...so it looks like the process is different from direct tcs? can anyone clarify this please?

adamBS

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 7, 2021
    Does anyone know or has perhaps heard elsewhere how much weighting the written assessment holds in Freshies AC? I heard from an associate that it is a pass/fail exercise that doesn’t hold much weighting but I wanted to confirm in case this has changed.
    I've heard from current trainees that it is just a pass/fail exercise so as long as you reach the required standard it doesn't have much bearing on whether you get an offer.

Reactions: AvniD

atelier

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    wondering if anybody here is applying for direct tc without having done a vac scheme/a vac scheme lined up for the summer? is there anything you do differently to demonstrate your career commitment/interest in commercial law? bc I'm wondering if it is worth it to send direct tc apps at all (other than a couple of firms that don't do vac schemes and take only direct tcs)
    no VS at all. To give you more hope, I'm a non-law applicant who graduated with a so-so grade. Plus, I'm an international student so English is not my first language and sadly i didn't have had the chance to apply to any vac schemes! but I've been getting direct tc interview invites (AC) from magic/silver circle firms so don't worry at all! if you can show your enthusiasm through application questions and work experiences that would suffice :)

Last edited:

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    i wonder whether BCLP screens all applications before sending out their SJT tests? i see many vac schemers who have received an automated email from BCLP to take the SJT test...so it looks like the process is different from direct tcs? can anyone clarify this please?
    This is from their website "If we like your application form, we will then ask you to complete our online test." It states that the process is the same for TCs and VSs? It took them several weeks to send me the tests so maybe it isn't automated but as far as I was aware everyone got the tests!?!

atelier

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    This is from their website "If we like your application form, we will then ask you to complete our online test." It states that the process is the same for TCs and VSs? It took them several weeks to send me the tests so maybe it isn't automated but as far as I was aware everyone got the tests!?!
    thank you! out of curiosity, did you apply for vac schemes or direct tc?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.