TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
Please summarise for us what a commercial lawyer does (250 words)

This is a question on Ashurst's application form. Does this basically get at commercial awareness and are we expected to use our understanding of law firms as a business within this answer?

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Hey- no news from FF TC post WG? I wrote it around a month ago and scored 80 percentile. Is there still scope?
    I don’t think anyone can conclusively tell you yes or no but the one thing that is certain is that it’s not a rejection until you receive a rejection 🤷🏻‍♀️I did mine on February 11th and received my AC invite on the 18th, but that doesn’t mean they’re not looking at later ones now. I know it feels like garbage advice but you really only can hang tight and wait.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Please summarise for us what a commercial lawyer does (250 words)

This is a question on Ashurst's application form. Does this basically get at commercial awareness and are we expected to use our understanding of law firms as a business within this answer?
    You need to focus more on talking about the role of a commercial lawyer rather than your commercial awareness or how law firms operate as a business.

Elaborate on how commercial lawyers advise their clients, work with other lawyers on deals, represent their clients in negotiations, are involved in business development and training etc. You could pick a deal the firm has done recently and use it as an example to break down how commercial lawyers would have been involved in it at different stages and in what capacity.

This breaks down a commercial lawyer's role fairly well- you can use it as a springboard for your answer.

Reactions: NaimK

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    You need to focus more on talking about the role of a commercial lawyer rather than your commercial awareness or how law firms operate as a business.

Elaborate on how commercial lawyers advise their clients, work with other lawyers on deals, represent their clients in negotiations, are involved in business development and training etc. You could pick a deal the firm has done recently and use it as an example to break down how commercial lawyers would have been involved in it at different stages and in what capacity.

This breaks down a commercial lawyer's role fairly well- you can use it as a springboard for your answer.
    To add to @AvniD 's great advice, my one tip for this type of question is to think about why companies instruct lawyer rather than just use their own in-house teams. This can often give you some insight into where commercial lawyers provided "added value" which in turn may help to identify their purpose and benefits.

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
    Dec 21, 2021
    I’ve been invited to an AC for a direct TC and was given the option of 3 slots. The first two are in the next two weeks and the last one is in exactly a month. I picked the last one as this will be my first full-day AC so I wanted to the extra time to prep (I work full-time so can only prep on weekends).

The email invite recommends booking onto the earliest available assessment day that able to attend as recruitment is on a rolling-basis. Will I be adversely affected by going for the latest one- can this last slot be cancelled if TC spaces are filled in the first two? Does it become more competitive/harder at later AC slots? If so I might change to the one in two weeks.
    @Jessica Booker would really appreciate your advice.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.