TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NS95

Star Member
Oct 25, 2021
Has anyone heard back from FF post AC - I am actually getting tired of waiting. Just tell us already - I don’t know why they are making us wait 3 weeks argh 🙄
I don't think anybody has heard back but someone did ask during the AC and they said that latest would be first week of April. It seems that they are carrying out ACs until the end of this week and by the looks of it waiting to finish them all.

• ℹ️
Reactions: TC fiend

Haris

Dec 27, 2020
I don't think anybody has heard back but someone did ask during the AC and they said that latest would be first week of April. It seems that they are carrying out ACs until the end of this week and by the looks of it waiting to finish them all.
Hopefully this isn't the last week of FF ACs, I only received my WG invite a couple of days ago and had until the 21st to complete it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’ve been invited to an AC for a direct TC and was given the option of 3 slots. The first two are in the next two weeks and the last one is in exactly a month. I picked the last one as this will be my first full-day AC so I wanted to the extra time to prep (I work full-time so can only prep on weekends).

The email invite recommends booking onto the earliest available assessment day that able to attend as recruitment is on a rolling-basis. Will I be adversely affected by going for the latest one- can this last slot be cancelled if TC spaces are filled in the first two? Does it become more competitive/harder at later AC slots? If so I might change to the one in two weeks.
@Jessica Booker would really appreciate your advice.
My view is that they would have only offered you the first couple of slots if they really wanted you to come in sooner. Maybe the later slot is still quite early in their process?

I think you have to do what is right for you. Therefore if you feel you need the time to prep, then go for the later dates.

Any TC slots can be cancelled to be honest - all it takes is for someone to be off sick and you could find the earlier slot doesn't happen as much as the later slot.

It won't become any more competitive or harder for later AC slots though - the standard expected will be the same across the ACs.

Reactions: AvniD

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
My view is that they would have only offered you the first couple of slots if they really wanted you to come in sooner. Maybe the later slot is still quite early in their process?

I think you have to do what is right for you. Therefore if you feel you need the time to prep, then go for the later dates.

Any TC slots can be cancelled to be honest - all it takes is for someone to be off sick and you could find the earlier slot doesn't happen as much as the later slot.

It won't become any more competitive or harder for later AC slots though - the standard expected will be the same across the ACs.
Thank you! I think the later slot might be the last one of this direct TC process/window. But they have a second window for direct TC which opens in the summer.

donxerxer

Standard Member
Feb 21, 2022
I applied for direct TC at Hogan Lovells and got a PFO this afternoon. I completed the WG in the 1st week of February. While waiting to hear from them, I asked for feedback 2 weeks ago and was told that I passed the test and achieved a 33 percentile.

I am really surprised and disappointed. Has anyone experienced this before?

Last edited:

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
May 26, 2019
I applied for direct TC at Hogan Lovells and got a PFO this afternoon. I completed the WG in the 1st week of February. While waiting to hear from them, I asked for feedback 2 weeks ago and was told that I passed the test and achieved a 33 percentile.

I am really surprised and disappointed. Has anyone experienced this before?
I received the PFO this afternoon as well. I never asked for my WG scores though. But just keep in mind that they assess your WG results alongside your application and make a decision on both. So its very possible to score highly in one respect and not necessarily the other.

I understand its quite disappointing but at least you know where you can focus your efforts for improvement

• 🤝
Reactions: GXA123 and donxerxer

rb26

Star Member
  • Sep 6, 2019
    Hi all, my boyfriend (of 5 years) broke up with me over the weekend. Annoyingly it was the worst timing as I have had 4 interviews this week. I can tell that it is definitely impacting my performance and am worried that I have jeopardised my chance of securing a TC. I feel that its a rather woeful excuse to be telling graduate recruitment. Do you have any advice on how to proceed? Or is it just a matter of having to get back out and apply some more?

• 🤝
    Reactions: em311 and kr253

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Hi all, my boyfriend (of 5 years) broke up with me over the weekend. Annoyingly it was the worst timing as I have had 4 interviews this week. I can tell that it is definitely impacting my performance and am worried that I have jeopardised my chance of securing a TC. I feel that its a rather woeful excuse to be telling graduate recruitment. Do you have any advice on how to proceed? Or is it just a matter of having to get back out and apply some more?
    First of all, I’m really really sorry to hear this. I know how much it hurts when a long-term relationship ends and how it can impact your ability to show up in every other area of your life.

There’s an excellent Ted talk on the psychology of breakups by Guy Winch. A poignant line he says is that breakups are like the death of a pet - incredibly painful but the not the sort of thing you take a day off work for. In this case, while extremely painful, it’s not the sort of thing I think Graduate Recruitment will be particularly lenient on. But I think that’s actually for the best. As painful as it is now, YOU have worked so incredibly hard ON YOUR OWN to get to this position - why would you give control to someone else over this moment? While your future may now look a bit different to what you thought it would look like, this part is still very much in your control so grab it with both hands and go for it.

And to leave you with a very good quote from Legally Blonde…

D8F01C5C-8069-479F-A9D6-F52894437484.gif

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am really sorry to hear about your circumstances.

However, this is not really something to highlight to graduate recruitment. At best, I would see if they can move your interviews to a later date if you feel you cannot give the interviews your full attention next week.

Edit - Just read @FS 's post - and it is much better than mine!!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    How do you think it's impacting your performance? Maybe we can address this and have you feeling like you're in a better position for your remaining interviews?

Feel free to PM if you'd prefer going into any details privately!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

IRO

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer 5
    Jan 21, 2021
    I think you just have to try your best with the interviews this week considering (not very fairly!) that grad rec are unlikely to be very understanding. If you can I'd try to take control of the situation by assessing if you're well enough to interview (even if not at your best) or if you'd like to withdraw or see if can move your interviews. Heartbreak has a massively detrimental effect on mental health and if you're struggling with that I personally would not make it worse by interviewing, it's completely fair to take time for yourself to recover from what is undoubtedly a massive loss.

Whatever you decide to do I'm sure you will make the right decision. Given that you've secured 4 interviews already I think it's unlikely you won't get a TC. Whether that happens off the back of one of this week's interviews or from applying again in the future I'm sure you'll get there, and it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things when that happens. I hope whatever happens you feel better soon, and that you're able to show yourself compassion until you do.

Law1099

Valued Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    Can’t you lie and say you’re sick to get a later interview? I mean it’s not really a lie if your mental health is not well.

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Can’t you lie and say you’re sick to get a later interview? I mean it’s not really a lie if your mental health is not well.
    I would caution away from lying. Being a solicitor is a profession that is bound by ethics including honesty and integrity. Neither of which this would demonstrate. The likelihood of getting caught out might be slim but why risk it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I would just say you have some personal circumstances that have come up unexpectedly and would like to see if there is the opportunity to delay the interview so you can give it your fullest attention.

That is truthful but isn’t going into the specifics of what it is. It isn’t also asking the recruitment team to apply any special favours (eg compensating for your performance) not expecting the interview to be moved - it is just enquiring as to whether it can be.

Reactions: AvniD
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.