TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TChopeful

Feb 14, 2022
Same! Bizarre how long it took - thought that was a strong app too!
I agree, a long time of radio silence. My application wasn’t very strong in all honesty. The good news is if yours was strong then you have it all there and you’ll find another TC elsewhere. I have learned a lot from that process and shall produce a better application next time. Either way, we’ll both make it. Good luck!

Reactions: James Carrabino

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
Anyone working on the app for Ashurst?

Please use this section to tell us about yourself, your skills, your achievements and why you want to train as a solicitor and work at Ashurst (750 words)

This is one of the questions. It's not the usual cover letter structure of why law, why X firm and why me.

I intend to spend half the word count (~375 words) on "why you want to train as a solicitor and work at Ashurst" i.e. why Ashurst.

Not sure how to tackle the first part and how to divide word count between talking about myself, my skills and achievements.

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Anyone working on the app for Ashurst?

Please use this section to tell us about yourself, your skills, your achievements and why you want to train as a solicitor and work at Ashurst (750 words)

This is one of the questions. It's not the usual cover letter structure of why law, why X firm and why me.

I intend to spend half the word count (~375 words) on "why you want to train as a solicitor and work at Ashurst" i.e. why Ashurst.

Not sure how to tackle the first part and how to divide word count between talking about myself, my skills and achievements.
    I would actually disagree and say that from the above question why law, why the firm, why you is the exact right structure.

They ask you you to:

- 'tell us about yourself, your skills, your achievements' - this is why you
    - 'why you want to train as a solicitor' - this is why law
    - why you want to...work at Ashurst' - this is why the firm

Other people may have a different opinion, but I would approach this the same way as a cover letter.

NaimK

Valued Member
    May 6, 2019
    I would actually disagree and say that from the above question why law, why the firm, why you is the exact right structure.

They ask you you to:

- 'tell us about yourself, your skills, your achievements' - this is why you
    - 'why you want to train as a solicitor' - this is why law
    - why you want to...work at Ashurst' - this is why the firm

Other people may have a different opinion, but I would approach this the same way as a cover letter.

Interesting. I took the train + work at Ashurst as a singular thing, but I originally associated the question with the usual structure as you've laid it out.

I could always adopt my 'why law' answer and add an extra element for why I want to be a solicitor specifically (rather than barrister). The 'why Ashurst' stuff is self-explanatory.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Reactions: j.s.cox

hopefullylaw2000

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2020
    Interesting. I took the train + work at Ashurst as a singular thing, but I originally associated the question with the usual structure as you've laid it out.

I could always adopt my 'why law' answer and add an extra element for why I want to be a solicitor specifically (rather than barrister). The 'why Ashurst' stuff is self-explanatory.

I recently attended the Vantage even with Ashurst and I got the impression that the structure of the answer is more focused around you rather than a traditional cover letter with equal components. So for example, an introduction into why law, then why ashurt then why you, however the why law and you should be more blended throughout the answer. Further, it appeared that they are very interested in getting to know you. I personally would approach this around 25% why law then 25-30% why Ashurst, then the rest blended about the things you have done and the qualities you can bring. Not sure if that makes sense but that is just the impression I have got! As always, I think these sorts of q's can be structured in a variety of ways and be successful so in a sense go with your gut and what you think flows well!

NaimK

Valued Member
    May 6, 2019
    I recently attended the Vantage even with Ashurst and I got the impression that the structure of the answer is more focused around you rather than a traditional cover letter with equal components. So for example, an introduction into why law, then why ashurt then why you, however the why law and you should be more blended throughout the answer. Further, it appeared that they are very interested in getting to know you. I personally would approach this around 25% why law then 25-30% why Ashurst, then the rest blended about the things you have done and the qualities you can bring. Not sure if that makes sense but that is just the impression I have got! As always, I think these sorts of q's can be structured in a variety of ways and be successful so in a sense go with your gut and what you think flows well!

Very helpful - much appreciated 🙏

Makes complete sense.

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021

I do not think you need to go into too much detail about why solicitor over barrister. Also, I would not say that the 'why Ashurst' stuff is self-explanatory - you should spend a reasonable amount of your answer explaining it to the reader.

Also, if you are going to take the 'train at and work at Ashurst' as a singular thing then I would still ensure that you consider them separately. For example, you can explain why you are seeking a career at Ashurst, but you should also make sure to add specific details about why Ashurst's training programme in particular appeals to you.

I hope that all helps :)

NS95

Star Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    I'm not sure if they only started calling on Monday. Given that today is Wednesday and they are still carrying out ACs, I wouldn't think so. It seems that most people haven't heard back. I guess we should know soon!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.