TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Regarding FF offers I also got one late last week by phone but they did make the point that they’re still interviewing and were right at the beginning of their offer process!! Also happy to share any tips etc. that I found particularly helpful if anyone would be interested 😊
Congratulations too! Great to see multiple Freshfields offers so early in their cycle.

Ryan Gosling Clap GIF

• 🤝
Reactions: James Carrabino and AvniD

BRo

Feb 5, 2022
Hi Guys,

I can see that a lot of people have been asking about Freshfields response post AC and just wanted to update that I received a call from one of my interviewers with a TC offer!
Just hang in there... I believe the firm is quite busy with all the stuff going on in Ukraine so it could take some time to hear back. Plus I think ACs are still ongoing so they haven't interviewed everyone yet

AND just in general, if anyone wants any help or anything with other apps, interviews or wants to rant about anything please feel free to message me as I have gained a LOT from these forums (and the TCLA application reviews .. some of my best applications were ones that were reviewed by Jessica haha) in my 4 years of applications and feel it is only right that I give that back a little (don't mean to sound too self-serving there!)
Huge, congrats! May I ask when you had your AC?

Reactions: bppgdlgrad

F1_Legal

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 16, 2020
In my third cycle of applications, I have finally secured a Training Contract!
Interestingly, this was my first ever direct TC application and I have never secured a vac scheme (take what you will from that).

I want to thank the entire TCLA team for their invaluable advice and guidance along this journey, and obviously @Jaysen for creating this amazing community. Big shout out to @George Maxwell @James Carrabino and @Jessica Booker for believing in me and replying to my messages on such short notice!

For those seeking a TC, the biggest piece of advice I got (from George or James) was to change my mentality.
  • You have to believe it is only a question of "when" and not "if" you get a training contract.
  • If you don't believe in yourself, how can you expect anyone else to?
  • Please stop comparing yourself to others and honestly, I don't think LinkedIn helps as it is a constant reminder of all our connections getting TC's.

Secondly, TCLA Premium is so worth it.
  • Even if it is just for a few months (especially the month before your AC).
  • I have gained so much value from those courses, it has been such a valuable investment (we've all wasted more money on dumber things ie alcohol).
  • Since taking the Watson Glaser course by Joe Mallet, I have passed all 5/5 Watson Glaser exams.

Finally, I do believe that you really need to pick a few firms and apply to those only.
  • I think most people are drawn to the big international firms for the reputation, money, status or simply because everyone else is applying to them.
  • But when you sit down and think about what truly matters to you, then you can probably narrow that list down to less than 10.
  • For example, I realised I actually care about my mental health and work-life balance (having tried to balance a full-time job with a part-time masters).
  • Hence why I stopped applying to magic circle firms...
  • Quality > Quantity (despite the numbers game argument, there is no way you can produce more than 20 good quality apps in any given cycle that you genuinely care about).
  • Also when researching, it is important to realise that all firms regurtitate the same bs (great culture, great client contact, lots of responsibility at an early stage). In reality, these are all just sales pitches. For example: great client contact = asking the client if he/she has received the document you sent him

Good luck to everyone and remember, "Mistakes don’t mean failure. Mistakes are a sign that you are trying something new. You make mistakes; mistakes don’t make you."

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Interestingly, this was my first ever direct TC application and I have never secured a vac scheme (take what you will from that).

I want to thank the entire TCLA team for their invaluable advice and guidance along this journey, and obviously @Jaysen for creating this amazing community. Big shout out to @George Maxwell @James Carrabino and @Jessica Booker for believing in me and replying to my messages on such short notice!

For those seeking a TC, the biggest piece of advice I got (from George or James) was to change my mentality.
  • You have to believe it is only a question of "when" and not "if" you get a training contract.
  • Please stop comparing yourself to others and honestly, I don't think LinkedIn helps as it is a constant reminder of all our connections getting TC's.

• I have gained so much value from those courses, it has been such a valuable investment (we've all wasted more money on dumber things ie alcohol).
  • Since taking the Watson Glaser course by Joe Mallet, I have passed all 5/5 Watson Glaser exams.

Finally, I do believe that you really need to pick a few firms and apply to those only.
  • I think most people are drawn to the big international firms for the reputation, money, status or simply because everyone else is applying to them.
  • But when you sit down and think about what truly matters to you, then you can probably narrow that list down to less than 10.
  • For example, I realised I actually care about my mental health and work-life balance (having tried to balance a full-time job with a part-time masters).
  • Quality > Quantity (despite the numbers game argument, there is no way you can produce more than 20 good quality apps in any given cycle that you genuinely care about).
  • Also when researching, it is important to realise that all firms regurtitate the same bs (great culture, great client contact, lots of responsibility at an early stage). In reality, these are all just sales pitches. For example: great client contact = asking the client if he/she has received the document you sent him

Good luck to everyone and remember, "Mistakes don’t mean failure. Mistakes are a sign that you are trying something new. You make mistakes; mistakes don’t make you."
AmazIng news! Delighted for you and just love posts like this. Look forward to seeing you in the Junior Lawyer Community soon!

Happy Man GIF by Acson Malaysia

Zacher

Mar 31, 2022
Regarding FF offers I also got one late last week by phone but they did make the point that they’re still interviewing and were right at the beginning of their offer process!! Also happy to share any tips etc. that I found particularly helpful if anyone would be interested 😊
Hi Were your reference contacted before you were made an offer? Or this will happen only after you have been made one. Also when did you do your AC?

Reactions: bppgdlgrad

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Outstanding news. Well done you!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021

Delighted for you @F1_Legal! Very well deserved and what a stellar post 👏👏👏

Direct TCs can end up being such an underrated yet successful route and it's nice to see our members post about them.

Wishing you the very best for the future!

chocolatebagel

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 20, 2022
    Hi - I did not even get a WG invite. I don't expect an offer or even second-stage invites, but I think applicants should be treated with some respect. I attended the nonlaw workshop for reference :) All TC offers I have seen given have been on TCLA; I haven't seen any of my connections/network post anything identifiable.

EDIT: my post was a spoof of acceptance Linkedin posts, I hope no one gets angry with me!

Reactions: djqb

NaimK

Valued Member
    May 6, 2019
    Is anyone intending to apply to Orrick for a direct TC?

I've noticed that one of the app questions is a 500-word cover letter (open slate), but then they also have separate questions asking why commercial law, why Orrick etc.

Therefore, if I followed the standard structure of why law, why Orrick, why me....I'd be repeating myself in the ensuing app questions.

Anyone know a way around this?

Zacher

Mar 31, 2022
    Congratulations!

Since the cat now seems to be out of the bag, I may as well add that I got an offer from Freshfields via phone call last week.

The partner said not to mention it online as people tend to get stressed out, but it seems people are sharing at this point.

Congrats to everyone else who was successful and fingers crossed for those still waiting; I'm sure there are still offers waiting to be made.
    Wow congratz when did you do your AC? I am actually panicking now.

Reactions: Bestkid98
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.