TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know if you apply for a 2025 TC/VS in your final year when applications open later this year, if there is a chance the firm may be able to move the start date forward for the TC? I'm extremely stressed that I am not going to land a TC this year, I've had 3 assessment centres but haven't heard anything back and to be honest, I had the most disastrous interview for one of them due to technical issues so Im not hopeful. Im wondering if there is a chance if a firm has an unexpected opening for an earlier start date they would offer that choice if they know someone they've hired is in final year and can start sooner? Or is this completely unheard of?
That is a possibility - it really just depends on a whole load of variables you will have no influence or control over. It could happen but at the same time it might not.

What I would stress is I know that 2025 seems like an awful way off right now, but it will actually come around quite quickly, especially if you still have to do the SQE before joining the firm.

Even if you do have time out, that time will be a luxury you may not have for many years to come. Utilising that time for you (rather than your legal career) is something many people who are now deep into their legal careers wish they had the opportunity to explore before they started, so I would try to see it as an opportunity to do something else rather than lost time.

Vacationschemeapps

Esteemed Member
Jul 23, 2020
That is a possibility - it really just depends on a whole load of variables you will have no influence or control over. It could happen but at the same time it might not.

What I would stress is I know that 2025 seems like an awful way off right now, but it will actually come around quite quickly, especially if you still have to do the SQE before joining the firm.

Even if you do have time out, that time will be a luxury you may not have for many years to come. Utilising that time for you (rather than your legal career) is something many people who are now deep into their legal careers wish they had the opportunity to explore before they started, so I would try to see it as an opportunity to do something else rather than lost time.
Re this:
1. is it necessary to complete the SQE fully before joining the firm? Can't one do SQE 2 whilst training?
2. I also wanted to ask if there are any firms who just require SQE and have ceased to have the GDL requirement too?

Won't 1+2 together mean that one no more needs a two years gap between the offer and the start of the TC?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Re this:
1. is it necessary to complete the SQE fully before joining the firm? Can't one do SQE 2 whilst training?
2. I also wanted to ask if there are any firms who just require SQE and have ceased to have the GDL requirement too?

Won't 1+2 together mean that one no more needs a two years gap between the offer and the start of the TC?
1) you could technically complete all your qualifying work experience before sitting SQE 1 and SQE2 - it is just many firms are being exceptionally risk adverse (as usual) and making future trainees do both SQE1 and 2 before starting.

2) Many firms are still putting non-law trainees through the PGDL to get them prepared for the SQE (basically getting them up to speed with their law graduate counterparts). However there is absolutely no requirement to do the PGDL - it is just a preference firms have. Some firms are stating you have to have done the PGDL before starting their SQE prep courses though.

3) Yes, technically you could start a TC at the point of graduating (you could actually even start it before you have graduated - for instance, if you had a year in industry as part of your degree course, there is technically nothing stopping you for gaining 6-12 months of qualifying work experience during this placement year). Some firms and organisations are starting their trainees immediately and then supporting them with training as they work - Kennedys/Flex Legal are just a couple of them.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Miki3999

Vacationschemeapps

Esteemed Member
Jul 23, 2020
1) you could technically complete all your qualifying work experience before sitting SQE 1 and SQE2 - it is just many firms are being exceptionally risk adverse (as usual) and making future trainees do both SQE1 and 2 before starting.

2) Many firms are still putting non-law trainees through the PGDL to get them prepared for the SQE (basically getting them up to speed with their law graduate counterparts). However there is absolutely no requirement to do the PGDL - it is just a preference firms have. Some firms are stating you have to have done the PGDL before starting their SQE prep courses though.

3) Yes, technically you could start a TC at the point of graduating (you could actually even start it before you have graduated - for instance, if you had a year in industry as part of your degree course, there is technically nothing stopping you for gaining 6-12 months of qualifying work experience during this placement year). Some firms and organisations are starting their trainees immediately and then supporting them with training as they work - Kennedys/Flex Legal are just a couple of them.
Super insightful and very helpful! Thanks so much for this Jessica

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
I saw one person ask about assistance with an AC but not sure
I think you're referring to me lol but I was just trying to have a go at the previous interview questions that I could find online for Ashurst.

I actually mailed them a couple of days back and here's what they said:

I am actually wondering how many days they give to prepare because if they are planning to hold ACs in mid may then shouldn't they already tell us if we've made it to the AC or not?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-05 at 3.15.51 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-05 at 3.15.51 PM.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 97
  • ℹ️
Reactions: Adrian_S

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think you're referring to me lol but I was just trying to have a go at the previous interview questions that I could find online for Ashurst.

I am actually wondering how many days they give to prepare because if they are planning to hold ACs in mid may then shouldn't they already tell us if we've made it to the AC or not?
Mid to late May might be a bit ambitious for them. Lots of people are in the midst of exam season and won't necessarily be available over the next few weeks.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is more likely to happen in early June..

julia_2022

Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 23, 2022

They only gave me one slot to choose from which is next Wednesday (so a week to prepare)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
They only gave me one slot to choose from which is next Wednesday (so a week to prepare)
There goes my theory that they would find it difficult to fill ACs. I hope they are giving some people some flexibility with dates though as for many people it literally couldn't be a worse time to go into AC prep.

Vacationschemeapps

Esteemed Member
Jul 23, 2020
does anyone know how tough it is to clear bakers vi? I sort of did not make much sense in 1 question and stumbled since it threw me by surprise. I've seen that some people get through even so with other firms. Has that happened with Bakers before (since it's 33 TCs, I imagine competition to be much more?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.