TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerd123

• Dec 7, 2021
    Hello, I have recently accepted a job offer that I would like to put on my applications. However, I haven't started yet. I am aware that time is ticking and that firms recruit on a rolling basis, do you think I should include this on my applications or wait until I have actually started to do so?
    I personally wouldn't wait for the job to officially start to submit applications (especially if they're already drafted). I also personally wouldn't put it in the work experience section until you've actually started. Maybe you can find a way to mention the upcoming job in your app elsewhere? For example some applications have a 'other responsibilities/awards' section, or maybe you find a way to incorporate it in one of the application answers. I'm assuming the upcoming job is relevant to law somehow? (Congrats btw!)

Reactions: TChopeful

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello, I have recently accepted a job offer that I would like to put on my applications. However, I haven't started yet. I am aware that time is ticking and that firms recruit on a rolling basis, do you think I should include this on my applications or wait until I have actually started to do so?
    You could reference this in a motivational answer/cover letter, or could be included in an "any extra information you want to provide" type sections/questions.

Reactions: AvniD and TChopeful

lawnoob

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    hi guys! what does it mean when direct TC applications have separate deadlines for 'all students' and 'law students'? I'm a law grad - do I only apply via law students option or..? And why is it set out like this?

lawnoob

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    Thought this might be of interest to anyone looking to start a TC this autumn

View attachment 4098
    Hey Jessica! I wasn't able to message the poster but was wondering if they'll probably want a candidate who has completed their LPCs and has working rights in the UK already? I don't qualify for either of those things so was wondering if it's worth my time for a shot

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hi guys! what does it mean when direct TC applications have separate deadlines for 'all students' and 'law students'? I'm a law grad - do I only apply via law students option or..? And why is it set out like this?
    As a law graduate, you’ll have the option to apply to either deadline.

It comes from a place where law firms typically can’t get non-law graduates onto the GDL in time for the summer application window/recruitment process, and so they set a separate deadline for non-law students/graduates. As some firms like to manage the proportion of law to non law graduates in their cohort, it makes sense to just get the non-law applicants to apply earlier.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: AvniD and Adrian_S

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey Jessica! I wasn't able to message the poster but was wondering if they'll probably want a candidate who has completed their LPCs and has working rights in the UK already? I don't qualify for either of those things so was wondering if it's worth my time for a shot
    The job description is here:

Check out this job at Larbey Evans: Trainee
    https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3082216887

You will need to have completed the LPC, but it doesn’t state whether you need the right to work in the U.K. or not. There is an email address on the job spec above so you could email that person and ask if you did want to still find out whether they sponsor or not.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: lawnoob and Adrian_S

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    You can send Damian an email or ring up the agency Larbey Evans and ask to speak to Damian. I have spoken to him on the phone a lot of tiimes for paralegal roles and he is really nice and approachable. I say email him then if you don't hear back in a day then ring up to speak to him.

But I say make an application ASAP just in case as the demand for this role will be high like he will receive more than 500 applications.

Reactions: lawnoob
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.